Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2018, 07:41 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
I think G-Dale isn’t too familiar with real estate investment. I think he is looking for a cheap place to retire to, not a place to make money.
I already gentrified Bushwick. Now on to my next business venture, and I'm eyeing the in-between lands of Suffolk County.

Plus, I'm already setup in Florida for retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 07:51 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
What happened? You got priced out of Bushwick? I remember hitting up the fake bodegas in the 90’s, getting those huge nickel bags. Too bad that crap was garbage sprayed with god knows what.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:09 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
I used to go to Mastic all the time for the "Indian" reservation

It seems like a very boring place and I doubt most people accustomed to an NYC life would like it

Old 07-15-2018, 08:20 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It seems unique. Not one of the usual plain old boring regular suburb neighborhoods of Nassau or Western Suffolk. Definitely seems like it's got character, for good or bad. The reservation could be the perfect place for my dispensary, or maybe even my sports book.
Tru tru

Well its worth taking a look at.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-15-2018, 08:41 AM

190 posts, read 152,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I used to say the same thing about Brooklyn.

As far as gentrification goes, West Brooklyn and the South Bronx benefit from their proximity to Manhattan coupled with the NYC subway system. Travel is easy, and you can be to work or wherever in less than an hour. Also children can attend almost any High School in NYC. So comparing Wyandach isn't really apples to apples. Those rentals they built in Wyandanch Village I think was a great idea. They should try to build more short term housing around that area.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I used to go to Mastic all the time for the "Indian" reservation

It seems like a very boring place and I doubt most people accustomed to an NYC life would like it
Its not about being accustomed to an NYC type of life. Almost quite the opposite as matter of fact.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:48 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times
Mastic at least is on the water, so it could be a cheaper second home alternative to Fire Island. The trouble with the area east of 110 and west of the Hamptons is the poor local job market and the boring factor.

LI isn't self-supporting anymore, and Mastic is too far to commute to NYC. Many tradesmen working in Nassau live in this area. Rents at $1,500+ are still too high when compared to cheaper areas of the country.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeWhyte View Post
As far as gentrification goes, West Brooklyn and the South Bronx benefit from their proximity to Manhattan coupled with the NYC subway system. Travel is easy, and you can be to work or wherever in less than an hour. Also children can attend almost any High School in NYC. So comparing Wyandach isn't really apples to apples. Those rentals they built in Wyandanch Village I think was a great idea. They should try to build more short term housing around that area.
Wyandanch is actually too close to Nassau for me. I'm thinking Brookhaven township. And I'd rather it not be an apples to apples comparison--that would be a silly investment if it was.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:00 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
But for $725 in the Carolinas you probably get 3500+ sq ft and a basement, right?
A friend just moved outside of Charlotte.

Here's the type of new build (4,500 sq ft) you can get for $750K

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Waxhaw/Old...home/145102041

Old 07-15-2018, 09:10 AM

190 posts, read 152,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Ha. You will eat those words my friend......... It doesn't need business investment. It needs immigrants who are willing to buy in and achieve and turn the school district around. That CAN happen and when it does the home prices will skyrocket. I have seen it happen in areas I would have never DREAMED would be expensive.

Why immigrants? Brooklyn didn't start turning around because immigrants bought in. It turned around because whites bought in. The added diversity that young white professionals brought is what turned around Brooklyn. What you need first is businesses to buy in. When people see development. They see opportunity. Then individuals will buy in. But it's going to be hard to convince anyone to invest 30 years in Wyandach on a wish. You have to show them first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island