Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2018, 09:18 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times

Advertisements

Wyandanch will never "gentrify".
Just not ever gonna happen.
You can throw all the money you want at it and it wont help.
It wont get better, it wont get worse. It will just stay the same for eternity.
That's just how it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 09:28 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Mastic at least is on the water, so it could be a cheaper second home alternative to Fire Island. The trouble with the area east of 110 and west of the Hamptons is the poor local job market and the boring factor.

LI isn't self-supporting anymore, and Mastic is too far to commute to NYC. Many tradesmen working in Nassau live in this area. Rents at $1,500+ are still too high when compared to cheaper areas of the country.

You do not realize that some of the largest regional economic drivers are located within the area you've delineated -- SUNY Stony Brook, Brookhaven National Labs, Catholic Health Services, and the Town of Brookhaven. Some of these are NOT a far commute for Mastic.

You have to take into account how Mastic came to be. It was a former estate, turned summer colony for people looking to escape the city. Some folks came to live there year round, other homes were sold off or turned into rentals when the families no longer used them. Instead of a long story, heres a verly simplified version: old cheap housing + welfare dumping in Mastic brought the area to its current state.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:53 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You do not realize that some of the largest regional economic drivers are located within the area you've delineated -- SUNY Stony Brook, Brookhaven National Labs, Catholic Health Services, and the Town of Brookhaven. Some of these are NOT a far commute for Mastic.

You have to take into account how Mastic came to be. It was a former estate, turned summer colony for people looking to escape the city. Some folks came to live there year round, other homes were sold off or turned into rentals when the families no longer used them. Instead of a long story, heres a verly simplified version: old cheap housing + welfare dumping in Mastic brought the area to its current state.
No, I do realize this. Whatever jobs they have out there are simply not enough to sustain a vigorous economy. Nassau housing is worth more because it's close to NYC jobs, as Suffolk got hit harder when aerospace dried up.

Maybe Mastic will surprise you and become a cheaper alternative for people looking for beach houses that can't pay Hamptons prices. Moving forward, that's the angle I'd use if I were marketing r.e. out there. It's not particularly far from Westhampton.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:58 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:

Some very good points here. More to come. Port Jefferson and Patchogue will grow too. Selden and Coram sitting nicely in between them.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
No, I do realize this. Whatever jobs they have out there are simply not enough to sustain a vigorous economy. Nassau housing is worth more because it's close to NYC jobs, as Suffolk got hit harder when aerospace dried up.

Maybe Mastic will surprise you and become a cheaper alternative for people looking for beach houses that can't pay Hamptons prices. Moving forward, that's the angle I'd use if I were marketing r.e. out there. It's not particularly far from Westhampton.
Don't worry. They'll be more jobs to come afterwards. Plenty more.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:01 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
There are so many delusions in this thread that its hysterical.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
There are so many delusions in this thread that its hysterical.
It's called vision.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It's called vision.
It's called delusion.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:

Growing up in Nassau, many of my friend's parents were employed in aerospace, as well as some of my friends when they graduated. Some followed Grumman south.

Yes, Nassau home values are higher due to proximity to NYC. (That's probably the millionth time that has been posted on the LI board lol) but Suffolk is not entirely dependent upon NYC just like other areas off LI and outside of NYC. We are unfortunately strangled by NYC when it comes to getting goods on and off the Island. As for the economy, speaking only for my area, it is doing rather well as we enjoy the ed-med relationship with SBU and UHSB.

As for Mastic, no matter how the NYT tries to spin it, it is Mastic. Until the social ills which plague the area are addressed, it will be overlooked. It was meh when friends bought out there in 1988. 30 years later aand it is no better.

2001: https://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/19/n...pt-secret.html
2009: https://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/r...te/05livi.html

Old 07-15-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Growing up in Nassau, many of my friend's parents were employed in aerospace, as well as some of my friends when they graduated. Some followed Grumman south.

Yes, Nassau home values are higher due to proximity to NYC. (That's probably the millionth time that has been posted on the LI board lol) but Suffolk is not entirely dependent upon NYC just like other areas off LI and outside of NYC. We are unfortunately strangled by NYC when it comes to getting goods on and off the Island. As for the economy, speaking only for my area, it is doing rather well as we enjoy the ed-med relationship with SBU and UHSB.

As for Mastic, no matter how the NYT tries to spin it, it is Mastic. Until the social ills which plague the area are addressed, it will be overlooked. It was meh when friends bought out there in 1988. 30 years later aand it is no better.

2001: https://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/19/n...pt-secret.html
2009: https://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/r...te/05livi.html
Mastic will need some major overhauling, as the type of residents who bought there likely will pass along their wonderous livelihood and attention to home pride to their family, which has been the case since as long as I know.

Picking all the bad parts of Long Island and pretending that one day they will be the new Brooklyn is just not realistic. These little pockets of trash is that way for a reason...these people need to live somewhere. There are plenty of other towns that are in way better shape to further revitalize than having to completely up end the very foundation of the town's core.

You'd basically have to go the whole Batman Begins approach:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island