Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 07:36 AM

150 posts, read 110,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kru2oo1 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I called the town yesterday regarding the permits, they said I don't need one if I'm just replacing everything with new stuff in the kitchen and bathroom, and the layout stays the same. However, since we are planning on adding recessed lighthing we would need a permit the electrical work.
The permit length was more referenced towards your dormer. They won’t close your permit until it’s finished. And you usually have a 1 year limit + a renewal to finish it. Although, I dragged mine out 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 11:50 AM

94 posts, read 38,292 times
OP, You’re in the town of Hempstead correct? I’m looking to do some work myself. I just got off the phone with the town, the lady (who was not friendly) mentioned that you need a permit for “everything”. I gave her an example of replacing Drywall, and she said it’s needed for that, which is a bit much, imho. I’m in a similar situation as you, like the house layout, but just need to put a new wall and update the baths (lay out will stay same). I’m wondering if they emailed you anything as I asked for a document, but she said they don’t have it. I wouldn’t want to deal with issues once beginning work.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
I just finished my reno recently and I can't say enough good words about Micron Restorations. John was amazing. I was got 3 quotes for Kitchen, Master bath, upstairs laundry.

1st guy : 105k with basic materials
2nd guy : 66k labor only
Micron : ~ 50k for labor, including extras like painting 3/4 of the house, 20 high hats and moldings and misc stuff I wanted done.

He is a very busy guy. He generally focuses on knock downs and rebuilds, so I caught him at the right time. He had 7 going while he was doing my house in the New Hyde Park area. Which is also why it took 8 weeks vs the 5/6 that was originally agreed upon. Regardless, it was well worth it. He doesn't subcontract. All his guys work under him - plumber, electrician, siding, drywall and ect. This was in the town of North Hempstead.

Tell him Simon recommended him.
Hi, was Micron detailed oriented?....i find that a lot of contractors can easily put up sheet rock, cabinets, throw down hardwood floors, but are not attentive to detail. pitched floors, things not being squared up, no poor millwork/moldings...just lack of overall design aesthetic.

would you mind sharing the other outfits you quoted with? DM if you prefer. thx, any guidance is appreciated.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:52 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
Librantis in West Babylon redid my dark gloomy kitchen .
It is cheery and bright with Mexican tiles and soft colors.
I just love it . Cas was so easy to work with and
he knew what I wanted better than I did.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-01-2020 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-01-2020, 02:02 PM

13 posts, read 14,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuzionx View Post
OP, You’re in the town of Hempstead correct? I’m looking to do some work myself. I just got off the phone with the town, the lady (who was not friendly) mentioned that you need a permit for “everything”. I gave her an example of replacing Drywall, and she said it’s needed for that, which is a bit much, imho. I’m in a similar situation as you, like the house layout, but just need to put a new wall and update the baths (lay out will stay same). I’m wondering if they emailed you anything as I asked for a document, but she said they don’t have it. I wouldn’t want to deal with issues once beginning work.
Yes, I ended up demoing the kitchen and bathroom myself with the help of some friends. We knocked down the L shape wall between the kitchen and living room and dining room. We had the beam raised and secured with a steel plate. All of this was included in the plans that were submitted for the second-floor dormer. Everything got approved and signed off on just waiting for the permits now to beginning framing the second-floor dormer, siding, roofing, central ac, electrical, first-floor reno etc.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:17 PM

13 posts, read 14,399 times
I ended up sub-contracting all the work with the help of a family friend that owns multiple properties and has all the contacts.

Here are some of the estimates I've already gotten

Second-floor framing only - 28-30k
Siding and Roofing - waiting for an estimate
Central A/C (cold and hot air) - 17.5k
Electrical - 7-8k
First-floor reno including kitchen and bath - 35-40k

The first-floor beam installation estimate

Steel beam - 400
Beam labor - 1600
Beam materials - 560

I'm hoping to have the permits by this week, but with this pandemic, it may get pushed back further.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:15 AM

297 posts, read 133,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kru2oo1 View Post
I ended up sub-contracting all the work with the help of a family friend that owns multiple properties and has all the contacts.

Here are some of the estimates I've already gotten

Second-floor framing only - 28-30k
Siding and Roofing - waiting for an estimate
Central A/C (cold and hot air) - 17.5k
Electrical - 7-8k
First-floor reno including kitchen and bath - 35-40k

The first-floor beam installation estimate

Steel beam - 400
Beam labor - 1600
Beam materials - 560

I'm hoping to have the permits by this week, but with this pandemic, it may get pushed back further.
Hey I tried to respond to your DM but it wouldn't let me.

John from Micron doesn't sub out anything. It was his team from start to finish. So it is a one stop shop and they were really great with everything. They checked alignment on everything. Everything was level and still is. Their finish trim work could have been better had they caulked the gaps for me but for the 25k price gap - It was something I could manage myself or pay someone else to finish. I personally liked him because he was the only contractor not trying to sell me crappy items they are marking up or tile price up to 3/4 of wall and ect. During the walk through also he punched a whole in the ceiling to check the structure to better price me out. The inspectors know him on a first name basis in my town - they literally finished all their inspections under 5 mins.

As far as the work that he did for me:

Kitchen reno: ripped out 4 walls, new kitchen subfloor, new 14 ft beam, new electrical, plumbing and moved a/c duct, expanded kitchen 80 sq feet, paint, tiled walls and floor and finished whole kitchen. My hood was 48" inches and required hard piping throughout. He had a stainless chimney lying around that he used for the 14 ft run out to the exterior. Add ons were install exterior door, paint, moldings and all new electrical switches and outlets - which I was charged a reasonable 3k on top.

First Floor: Painted, New window moldings and floor moldings, high hats

2nd Floor: Moved Laundry upstairs and gut and expand master bath, new framing, electrical, high hats to master and 3 other room, lightings for laundry and bathroom, new moldings, paint and finish

I only used him for labor. I bought everything else myself from online and shipped.

Build direct is like home depot but ships directly to your house: Bathroom toilets, hardware, shower items.
Tiles, I used a tile store and was in the 10 dollar range per sq foot.
Marble.com in Amityville for countertop: 3.3k @100 sq ft
Home Depot for higher end vanities just in case I needed to return - 2.3k.
Custom shower door, I used a local place that was 1k cheaper then the rest @ 1575.
In total, I was about 60k all in excluding appliances. So whatever price you were getting is completely outrageous. It is worth it to shop around.

Last edited by Uggggs; 04-02-2020 at 06:26 AM..

Old 04-02-2020, 06:23 AM

297 posts, read 133,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respol View Post
Hi, was Micron detailed oriented?....i find that a lot of contractors can easily put up sheet rock, cabinets, throw down hardwood floors, but are not attentive to detail. pitched floors, things not being squared up, no poor millwork/moldings...just lack of overall design aesthetic.

would you mind sharing the other outfits you quoted with? DM if you prefer. thx, any guidance is appreciated.
Oh shoot - I quoted the wrong person. See my response above.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:29 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,331,402 times
[quote=

Build direct is like home depot but ships directly to your house: Bathroom toilets, hardware, shower items.
Tiles, I used a tile store and was in the 10 dollar range per sq foot.
Marble.com in Amityville for countertop: 3.3k @100 sq ft
Home Depot for higher end vanities just in case I needed to return - 2.3k.
Custom shower door, I used a local place that was 1k cheaper then the rest @ 1575.
In total, I was about 60k all in excluding appliances. So whatever price you were getting is completely outrageous. It is worth it to shop around.[/QUOTE]

Marble.com had the best prices, but limited inventory. I love marble but I wouldn’t put it in a kitchen. I did put marble in my bathroom. Not from them.

Don’t go to HD you can get custom made vanities for the same price. We paid about 3500 for 2 vanities 7ft and 5.5ft no countertops custom made to our space.

I looked at all the tile guys on LI. Crap that was $8-15 sq ft was $4 at wholesalers in BK. Most of these places are importing direct from Italy and Spain then Selling to small shops on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island