Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 11:35 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
NVMC attendance matched how horrific the team was. The lousy lease hamstrung the team from being able to bring good quality free agents. MSG has been paying the Islanders millions each year and still have them under contract. The Islanders were not going to buy out that contract. The move was given a chance. The fans simply did not want to go there.

My taxpayer dime pays for a lot of crap far worse than this. As opposed to outrageous pensions and bennies for a select few civil servants which doesn't benefit me, this tax money will pay for a venue I can choose to visit when I want. If the Rangers will also use the arena, even better. More revenue coming in. It is a win/win situation.
Well said that post you responded to was complete BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Flo View Post
Folks remember that former county executive Tom Suozzi had a fully privately funded deal for development of the coliseum and surrounding area. Charles Wang was going to fund it. Kate Murray, Anthony Santino and the Hempstead Republican Town Board fought it. They didn't want to let Tom Suozzi have the deal. This would have been done over 10 years ago.
Everyone knows this. It sucked. But Wang is dead and Murray is long gone time to move past the failed lighthouse project.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Everyone knows this. It sucked. But Wang is dead and Murray is long gone time to move past the failed lighthouse project.
We'll see. Murray is back on the Hemstead ballot for County Clerk. Signs ALL OVER the place. Makes me want to wretch in technicolor, but she'll win. Dems are absent. No signs, no ads. I'm not even sure who they're running.

Someone said Staten Island was the Alabama of NY. I say mid-east nassau is at least the West Virginia of NY. A wasteland of 50 something civil servants angling for disability retirements and swearing Trump has made them rich because their 401k went up (not under Obama for 10 years, ONLY under Trump). Screaming about the benefits of ICE then complaining their landscaper is raising prices.

This stuff writes itself. Too bad it's not supposed to be a comedy.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:35 PM

259 posts, read 174,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinghy in my attic View Post
We'll see. Murray is back on the Hemstead ballot for County Clerk. Signs ALL OVER the place. Makes me want to wretch in technicolor, but she'll win. Dems are absent. No signs, no ads. I'm not even sure who they're running.

Someone said Staten Island was the Alabama of NY. I say mid-east nassau is at least the West Virginia of NY. A wasteland of 50 something civil servants angling for disability retirements and swearing Trump has made them rich because their 401k went up (not under Obama for 10 years, ONLY under Trump). Screaming about the benefits of ICE then complaining their landscaper is raising prices.

This stuff writes itself. Too bad it's not supposed to be a comedy.
The GOP owns ToH. Only reason a Dem won town supervisor was because the GOP candidate was incompetent (and yet she is now running for a different office.....)

If you want a big project done in ToH (like the lighthouse was), you need to pay off the town GOP, give Armand D'Amato a no show job so that Al gets his take.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:36 PM

259 posts, read 174,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Flo View Post
Folks remember that former county executive Tom Suozzi had a fully privately funded deal for development of the coliseum and surrounding area. Charles Wang was going to fund it. Kate Murray, Anthony Santino and the Hempstead Republican Town Board fought it. They didn't want to let Tom Suozzi have the deal. This would have been done over 10 years ago.
If Wang gave Armand D'Amato a no show job, the Lighthouse deal would have thru.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:43 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
The mausoleum was empty last night. Belmont is looking better and better each day.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:53 AM

231 posts, read 113,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
The mausoleum was empty last night. Belmont is looking better and better each day.
30 years of horrible sub 10K attendance at the Coliseum. Coliseum is marketed as some sort of historic preferred and beloved venue. Islander fans are supposed to love the Colisuem but they have not shown up in three decades.

Thousands of $6 tix available and they could not get 10,000 for a weekend game. How many $6 tix are they going to have to sell to pay off $1 billion in tax free loans that the state is giving the arena consortium?

Team should have made Brooklyn work.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:57 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
“Historic preferred venue” by who? Crappy, unwatchable teams will do that to a franchise, coupled with a rat infested dump, understandably low attendance. Belmont is going to be an attraction.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Birdsler View Post
30 years of horrible sub 10K attendance at the Coliseum. Coliseum is marketed as some sort of historic preferred and beloved venue. Islander fans are supposed to love the Colisuem but they have not shown up in three decades.

Thousands of $6 tix available and they could not get 10,000 for a weekend game. How many $6 tix are they going to have to sell to pay off $1 billion in tax free loans that the state is giving the arena consortium?

Team should have made Brooklyn work.
Brooklyn was a disaster, a terrible place to watch hockey in an area that was a major PITA for 95% of the fanbase to get to. Thank god they left that dump and are back where they belong on LI.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:29 PM

231 posts, read 113,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Brooklyn was a disaster, a terrible place to watch hockey in an area that was a major PITA for 95% of the fanbase to get to. Thank god they left that dump and are back where they belong on LI.
Brooklyn is on Long Island! Employing Low end geography skills will never change that! Major league sports teams need to play in a POPULATION CENTER. Only minor league teams work in a suburb such as Nassau. Belmont may be a harder location to reach than Nassau, traffic nightmare that will ensure small crowds and NO CORPORATE SUPPORT. Bad situation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island