Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 02:35 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times

Advertisements

CarolinaUSA: Broadcast Basic is over-the-air channels only. No "cable" channels except for News12 and the channel that advertises Optimum itself.

The Economy tier is the least expensive "cable" tier. But I see they have taken the Economy Tier off the website pricing and channels lists and so it looks like they may be grandfathering it in from now on. Or it may only be available to existing customers who ask for it specifically, rather than to new customers.

We have the Economy tier and this is from my Account page:

ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, iOn, Univision, HSN, My 9, WLNY 10, CW11, News 12, PBS 13 and 21, QVC 1 and 2, TElemundo, Unimas, Government Access, Public Access 20, Channel 22 (whatever that is, lol), MSNBC, CNN, Discovery, Catholic Faith, HGTV, Cartoon Network, MeTV, TNT, We, History CHannel, Fuse, Animal Planet, HLN, Food Network, OTB, CSPAN/CSPAN2/CSPAN3, HSN2, Buzzr, Turner Classic Movies, EuroNews, Bloomberg TV, Laff, Cozi, LiveWell, Court TV, Start TV, Movies!, Antenna TV, NY Legislative TV, WMBC, Discovery Family, Boomerang, PBS Kids, World, Create, TBN, EWTN, Daystar, JBS, HIcon, GetTV, AllArts, National Geographic, Aspire, Reelz, TVOne, Own, JPV, and a whole bunch of music channels. Also the usual, Free on Demand etc.

FYI, there is a free preview going on of HBO/Cinemax for Economy subscribers, today through Sunday. 22 channels. Possibly for the other tiers as well, but that is what I am seeing in our actual Channel Guide and I doublechecked it with DSLreports as to how long the promo lasts.

My guess is that if you want to change to Economy you probably need to call them to see if it is available. Probably not to new customers but if you have a more expensive tier at the moment and want to switch down, they may do it. Especially if you keep pointing out that there are customers who are currently getting it. ;-)

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 01-17-2020 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 02:38 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Broadcast basic is bare bones.
I'm getting more annoyed by the minute.
I just saw the pricing and the increases on their website. I want to throw all their equipment out the window and cut the line to my house.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Broadcast basic is bare bones.
I'm getting more annoyed by the minute.
I just saw the pricing and the increases on their website. I want to throw all their equipment out the window and cut the line to my house.

If you currently are in a higher tier, would downgrading to Economy (even at the "new" pricing) be a workable compromise as to channels, costwise? I just added the Economy channel lineup to my previous post. That tier has no sports, though, and I think you said you have a son who watches...

Old 01-17-2020, 03:01 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
just got off the phone with Optimum billing. I'm a 30 year customer and have never left them. I have the basic "triple play" package (at least that's what it was called when I got it). Family Cable TV but no extra packages, phone and lowest speed internet service. Bill currently comes in around $165 , which includes about $10 in taxes. I purchased a compatible modem last year when they ended their "we give you a free modem" program.

The good news: I got through to the billing department in two minutes.
The bad news : The TV service is going up $20/monthly in February
The Internet service will go up $20/monthly in February

So after taxes, a $45 monthly increase .
$540 a year.

I waited and spoke to a supervisor, who advised me to call back monthly to ask for "special promotions".(none are currently available) She told me the increase is due to the fact that the program providers are increasing their costs and "we have to pass the increase to our customers".

Do you have FIOS in your area? If so, I recommend switching over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'm on Fios, but I got a junk mailer the other day for Optimum Altice $65 price lock for life. BS?

Curious about this one too. Got one in today.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:24 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
If you currently are in a higher tier, would downgrading to Economy (even at the "new" pricing) be a workable compromise as to channels, costwise? I just added the Economy channel lineup to my previous post. That tier has no sports, though, and I think you said you have a son who watches...
You know what? I don’t care anymore.
He wants his sports crap he can pay for it.
I'm tired of getting raped by these companies.
Whatever I need to do to lower the bill, I'm gonna do. What's really frustrating is I can't quit because they're the only game in town in these parts.

It's 2 things for me. My money, and principle.
I refuse to line anyone's pockets anymore.
Screw that. Especially these corporate skel 1 percenters.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:19 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Do you have FIOS in your area? If so, I recommend switching over.
I do have FIOS in the area, and they are always sending me promo stuff. The last time I called them - years ago - they gave me a baseline price which was low, but after all the taxes it came in pretty close to what I was paying Optimum . At that time, many people I know were complaining about Verizon's customer service, their techs never showing up on time , etc., etc.
That, of course, was before Altice cannibalized Cablevision.

If they cannot bring that $40 increase down to $10/month, ( I will give them an opportunity when the bill goes up in February), this thirty-two year customer will be gone in a Long Island Minute.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:30 AM

486 posts, read 996,465 times
We switched to Sling. Love it and under $30 a month. No boxes needed, just a smart TV or a ROKU stick. You do need internet though.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
We switched to Sling. Love it and under $30 a month. No boxes needed, just a smart TV or a ROKU stick. You do need internet though.

Sling would not be workable for anyone who wants to watch any of the standard broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, etc) unless they can also get solid reliable reception from an over-the-air antenna in order to bring those in. Unfortunately, not every house location can.

The only streaming service that provides cable channels plus all of the broadcast channels plus PBS (which none of the other streamers do) is YouTube + Live TV which is currently at $50/month plus tax.

Old 01-18-2020, 06:47 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
I’m grandfathered into a plan on AT&T Now, which is probably the closest to “traditional” cable. I pay $90 for the “gotta have it” and HBO. Price has been increased twice over the last 18 months. Their new offerings offer 30 or so fewer channels for the same price.

The irony is that there is no bundle pricing with AT&T fiber - run as 2 separate companies. So I pay $170 a month for TV and gigabit internet. Not that far off of cable.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:41 PM

401 posts, read 944,346 times
Just a disclaimer: I did not read the whole thread, so if I am repeating something, I apologize. Where Optimum has everyone bound is internet. I cut everything I could, but I have no other options for internet. I work from home, and have to have internet service. Almost everyone does. Until there is another internet provider, the cable companies are going to take advantage of that. If they can no longer bilk you on the television service, they will get you for internet. Why not? Where else are you going to get it? I only have one provider. They can charge me whatever because they can. I don't know the answer, but competition would be healthy for the consumer. I just don't know where it would come from, being the town of Brookhaven is so corrupt and stingy. I switched to Roku TV and live TV is on Youtube TV. I may be switching that for a more inexpensive option. At least it much less expensive than the cable TV service, and I can change at any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island