Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 04:13 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
Asymptomatic carriers ruin your entire argument
All states will open up soon, whether you are frightened or not. There is no way indefinite closures can continue once people start bringing court cases. There is no constitutional basis for governors to suspend constitutional rights indefinitely whether they claim it’s for safety or whatever.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:25 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
To those who want to open things up, I have one question. Have you lost a loved one to this? I have lost 2 cousins from L.I. - a brother and sister 17 days apart. His family had to wait 5 agonizing days as the body laid in the hospital morgue before the funeral home could get to him and even then they had to go "shopping" for one that could get to him the fastest. He was no sooner laid to rest than his sister who was a widow, passed to this dreadful virus. They waited for the same funeral home to claim her. Neither had a church service, he did not have a veterans honors, no flag, no taps, just 10 people at a grave site for a quick committal.

Does this stay at home quarantine make you crazy? It does me, but I bet if it meant a loved one of yours was still alive today because people remained home a while longer, you would jump at the chance to stay home.

There is no need for a lecture about the economy either. I spent almost 30 years on Wall Street. I understand the ramifications. Do I think parts of the country should reopen? Sure do. Do I think that there are parts of the tri state area that are included in that? Sure there are. Do I think NYC, Nassau and Suffolk should reopen? Absolutely not. You are not ready for it yet.

BTW once things are open, it will be permanently changed from the way it was before. Thinking about going to the movies? Thinking about going to the gym? Thinking about going to a restaurant or bar? Thinking about going to the beach? You will eventually be able to do all, but it will not be as it was. If you think you are getting out of house arrest today and there won't be rules that will alter the way it was before there is a rude awakening coming.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:33 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Close the country down for 3 years, just as an abundance of caution.

That's what they really want. If there is not a vaccine (and probably even if there is), there will be a second wave no matter how long you stay locked down. It isn't just a matter of "better safe than sorry" it is "better safe than have a job and a home".

Old 05-02-2020, 04:39 PM

106,684 posts, read 108,856,202 times
I want anyone who thinks this virus is something to be taken lightly to have the nerve to list two loved ones they would give up to death so things can resume as they were prematurely.

We have lost one family member ,, I lost two good friends , my daughter in-laws mom had it for a month and my ex wife is battling it ...

Old 05-02-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I want anyone who thinks this virus is something to be taken lightly to have the nerve to list two loved ones they would give up to death so things can resume as they were prematurely.

That's plain silly. Should we shut down the nation's roads and highways? Tens of thousands of people die every year from auto accidents. If you oppose shutting down the roads then nominate two loved ones you are willing to have die in an auto accident.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's plain silly. Should we shut down the nation's roads and highways? Tens of thousands of people die every year from auto accidents. If you oppose shutting down the roads then nominate two loved ones you are willing to have die in an auto accident.
You can’t compare this to the typical things we do in life that take lives ....we don’t lose 70,000 people in one month , 20,000 of them here in ny ,WHILE SHUT DOWN AND QUARANTINED from each other and 300,000 plus in New York with it while still quarantined.

Are you kidding us with that comparison ..this could not be more perfect if it was germ warefare unleashed on us

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-02-2020 at 05:12 PM..

Old 05-02-2020, 05:02 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
doh! Dunce Cap award winner here!

Car accidents aren't contagious. They are also accounted for in the healthcare system every year.

really stop watching Fox news, your IQ will go up.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:05 PM

412 posts, read 289,656 times
People in this country are soft...too much prosperity and too little struggle or real crisis.

Snowflakes had a protest in Commack yesterday because they need a haircut and their personal savings ran out already.

Imagine if we had a World War on our own soil. Focus on what's important, your family and health. We're barely a month and a half into a half arsed lock down and people are whining. You can still go for a walk, get food, etc. It's not even a real lock down. Imagine living in Greece or France right after WW2. Imagine living in any third world country right now. You can still have wine delivered curbside to your car...how bad can it be. Patience.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
doh! Dunce Cap award winner here!

Car accidents aren't contagious. They are also accounted for in the healthcare system every year.

really stop watching Fox news, your IQ will go up.
Got to agree ..it was a ridiculous comparison

Old 05-02-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You can’t compare this to the typical things we do in life that take lives ....we don’t lose 70,000 people in one month , 20,000 of them here in ny ,WHILE SHUT DOWN AND QUARANTINED from each other and 300,000 plus in New York with it while still quarantined.

Are you kidding us with that comparison ..this could not be more perfect if it was germ warefare unleashed on us

Ok so you put the number of lives at 20k-50k as the point where it goes from business as usual to shutting down the economy?

The point wasn't to compare contagion but the fact that everyone places economic health and personal liberty over lives, it's just a matter of where you draw the line. And wherever you draw the line doesn't mean you want anyone to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island