Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 02:52 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,854,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Here in Suffolk essentially all the teachers/bldg admins /staffs have been back full time for two months (some kids are full time, some kids are hybrid, and some kids have personally opted for full remote). My point was, given the data and science here in Suffolk, the kids should all be back full time.
Why did you wait until now when infection rates are exceeding those as far back as May to ask this question again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 05:37 AM

13,059 posts, read 18,146,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
No. You can hire a third party to host the training platform. No need to buy new servers and storage. You'll need to buy gadgets like internet service which schools already have anyway, cameras, microphones and workstations for the teachers (NYC makes teachers pay for some of these out of pocket), and tech support, but these can be covered by lower maintenance, heating, janitorial and electrical costs. The students and their families can pay for their own devices and internet service but as I said, participation is optional and contingent on willingness to pay for their own expenses. Our company spent one-third of the amount it previously cost to do in-person training by going remote.
Please, I guess I need to spell it out for you. You can't compare your company, a private one to a school district. There are a lot of things the district(s) COULD do, however, those things are impossible due to the unions contracts that control them. Keep waiting on that to happen and I have a bridge across Arizona over a beach I will be willing to sell you.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:39 AM

11,649 posts, read 12,724,857 times
It's not union contracts. The vendors have to bid and when it's awarded, they have to go through layers before they get approval. This has only gotten worse since the Roslyn and Hempstead school district scandals. Also the platforms have to be hippa compliant.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:30 AM

5,069 posts, read 3,966,121 times
St, Anthony’s HS (2400 kids) in Huntington has been open and playing sports (minus tackle football) this year. As expected (given the science and data) the kids aren’t keeling over with Covid, aren’t catching it in school, and aren’t spreading it in school either:

"We’ve had 12 positive cases in school in three months," Modica said. "There were 10 students and two teachers. And we thoroughly investigated each case to find that all had come from outside influences, from what we can tell."

https://www.newsday.com/sports/high-...ool-1.50076442

Old 11-29-2020, 07:47 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,836,112 times
Quote:
St, Anthony’s HS (2400 kids) in Huntington has been open and playing sports (minus tackle football) this year. As expected (given the science and data) the kids aren’t keeling over with Covid, aren’t catching it in school, and aren’t spreading it in school either:

"We’ve had 12 positive cases in school in three months," Modica said. "There were 10 students and two teachers. And we thoroughly investigated each case to find that all had come from outside influences, from what we can tell."

https://www.newsday.com/sports/high-...ool-1.50076442
One thing that's missing from all the talk about private schools is that almost none of them are 100% fully in school. They all offer a remote option. My son went to private HS here - they are then further divided into two groups "green" and "gold" and those kids go to school on alternating days. Transition times between classes are extended. Everyone needs to stop acting like private schools are business as usual.

Private schools also do not have the funding issues publics do. The HS my son went to has "band masks" so band can continue. I believe there are singing masks too. It's just not a comparable situation. My other kids are in public school. Trust me.

As far as St. A's - Did you read the toll it's taking on the poor man? Dang.

Touch football was a good idea. Wouldn't fly here in the south though!

Old 11-29-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
One thing that's missing from all the talk about private schools is that almost none of them are 100% fully in school. They all offer a remote option. My son went to private HS here - they are then further divided into two groups "green" and "gold" and those kids go to school on alternating days. Transition times between classes are extended. Everyone needs to stop acting like private schools are business as usual.

Private schools also do not have the funding issues publics do. The HS my son went to has "band masks" so band can continue. I believe there are singing masks too. It's just not a comparable situation. My other kids are in public school. Trust me.

As far as St. A's - Did you read the toll it's taking on the poor man? Dang.

Touch football was a good idea. Wouldn't fly here in the south though!
Haven’t heard claims (or seen them in the article) of ‘business as usual” But at the same time....https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...hools/2585979/

Beyond that and interestingly, the 100+ public high schools on LI now report a similar lack of campus covid-spread amongst their students and staff.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:15 AM

11,649 posts, read 12,724,857 times
All you need is one dead kid and the lawsuits will come flying. A remote option is necessary, even if it's just cameras placed in the classroom. There are too many students with asthma, crohn's and other autoimmune diseases that make them high risk.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:02 PM

This Morning (Dr. Fauci stating the obvious):

We say it, not being facetiously or having a soundbite or anything, but you know: close the bars, keep the schools open, is what we really say," Fauci told Martha Raddatz on ABC's "This Week." "Obviously, you don't have one size fits all, but as I've said in the past, and as you accurately quoted me – the default position should be as best as possible, within reason, to keep the children in school and get them back to school."

https://www.foxnews.com/health/fauci...mmunity-spread

Old 11-30-2020, 10:28 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,713 times
Quote:
Haven’t heard claims (or seen them in the article) of ‘business as usual” But at the same time....https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...hools/2585979/

Beyond that and interestingly, the 100+ public high schools on LI now report a similar lack of campus covid-spread amongst their students and staff.
Yeah, because the schools are strictly controlling mask wearing, sanitization, distancing and reacting on the fly to openings, closings, hybrid, all remote, all live, etc and are fused at the hip with the DOH. Few schools have more than 50% capacity in the buildings at ANY TIME right now. Most are hybrid. Athletics and "kids playing on the ballfields without masks" have led to three separate shutdowns in my district. Schools are doing what the community isn't and getting good results. The community is fighting over how many at the dinner party and if masks are tyranny...not such good results.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:21 AM

20,093 posts, read 20,897,502 times
It’s all ridiculous and mostly makes zero sense.
They make up the rules as they go and change them in the same breath.
Whatever. Hopefully the vaccine will get this crap over with sooner than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island