Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 10:37 AM

13,069 posts, read 18,269,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
Im paying for a roof job, not workers comp, not their auto insurance. They can come on an elephant if they choose. I’m not paying their cost of doing business. I’m paying for their labor and materials. I just need their hands for however long they say they can do it.

In any way I’m looking for something cheaper and not this absurd amount of 13k for 6 hours of work.

If this roof was flat, I wouldn’t be asking this as I’d do it myself after being disappointed on the quote. Also one thing to consider, they won’t do the roof exactly how you want it. They will do what looks good and what’s easiest just to get paid. It’s cheaper for me to sel the house, pay closing costs on a new one with a flat roof, and doing it myself (if 13k), because then at least you know that your planning, careful attention to detail, and effort will last a while rather than paying someone who isn’t obligated to care and probably is going to do a poor job.
I feel the need to point out that you have much to learn in life if you think you don't pay for the cost of doing business in everything from groceries to roofing. Re: dumping in your yard, I am happy I don't live next door to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 11:14 AM

22,747 posts, read 37,008,169 times
Quote:
Im paying for a roof job, not workers comp, not their auto insurance. They can come on an elephant if they choose. I’m not paying their cost of doing business.

Any person you pay to do a job is factoring in their cost of doing business to their bids. Otherwise they are working for free.

I doubt you're gonna get anyone legit to do the job anyway, because there is plenty of work to go around and no one wants to deal with a PITA like you. In the end some jobs are easier and cheaper to turn down, yours will be one of them.

Try dumping the roofing materials in your yard and see how the neighbors feel. You'll be picking up nails for years.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:41 AM

6,390 posts, read 13,208,804 times
Hahaha you tell him Twingles.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:46 AM

297 posts, read 198,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Material and dumping fees for this job would be near 4K. Labor for men near 2k. Where is the profit? The guy for 8k is probably a sub contractor. Make sure all paperwork is legit.
4K materials 2k labor. I count 6k. They charging more than double.

Edit* actually material is 3k and container is 700. But of course we are not counting the container. I can just dump it at town recycling.... as I've done for years.

Last edited by Punkster55; 12-02-2020 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-02-2020, 11:47 AM

Last edited by Punkster55; 12-02-2020 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-02-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I feel the need to point out that you have much to learn in life if you think you don't pay for the cost of doing business in everything from groceries to roofing. Re: dumping in your yard, I am happy I don't live next door to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Any person you pay to do a job is factoring in their cost of doing business to their bids. Otherwise they are working for free.

I doubt you're gonna get anyone legit to do the job anyway, because there is plenty of work to go around and no one wants to deal with a PITA like you. In the end some jobs are easier and cheaper to turn down, yours will be one of them.

Try dumping the roofing materials in your yard and see how the neighbors feel. You'll be picking up nails for years.
I took out a 30x60 unground pool with concrete around it with a jackhammer that was popping the circuit breaker countless times. Do you think I care about nails in my backyard? You gotta stop reading the crap online and grow a pair and go out there. Sitting in a little cave being worried, especially about a little nail or two, isn't going to get you far.

=====
Besides, let's end the "don't do this, do that, business cost business cost that" nonsense. I was just asking for contractors that can do less than 9k for a roof. Google says 5-6k average nationwide.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:12 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,839,801 times
Quote:
I took out a 30x60 unground pool with concrete around it with a jackhammer that was popping the circuit breaker countless times. Do you think I care about nails in my backyard? You gotta stop reading the crap online and grow a pair and go out there. Sitting in a little cave being worried, especially about a little nail or two, isn't going to get you far.

=====
Besides, let's end the "don't do this, do that, business cost business cost that" nonsense. I was just asking for contractors that can do less than 9k for a roof. Google says 5-6k average nationwide.
Guy who went from DIY a roofing job to whining over contractor costs is telling us to stop worrying. lol. We're not. We're laughing. Last advice, IF (big IF), you find a solid vendor during covid to drop their price below lowball, good luck with them showing up. I am offering top dollar to masons I have great relationships with and they can't get to me because they are backed up for two years...of course they are charging more and responding to cranky lowballers slow or not at all. It's a vendor's market. Sure, I can do it for "half" and quicker with an uninsured craigslister who doesn't have to pay anyone a legal wage or workers comp, but then, we get what we pay for. Good luck.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 12-02-2020 at 12:46 PM..

Old 12-02-2020, 12:32 PM

34,189 posts, read 47,612,020 times
This reminds me of the time that a friend of mine bought an Infiniti and was complaining because the dealer charged him an exorbitant amount (thats how he felt about it) for brakes. I'm like dude you drive a luxury car, what else do you expect.

It's fascinating that people buy houses and then are floored by maintenance costs. Well then become a GC yourself, and then get a plumber friend, and an electrician friend.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-02-2020, 01:11 PM

397 posts, read 521,016 times
Quote:
Im paying for a roof job, not workers comp, not their auto insurance. They can come on an elephant if they choose. I’m not paying their cost of doing business. I’m paying for their labor and materials. I just need their hands for however long they say they can do it.

Congrats- you win post of the year....

Lets flip it the other way... Why would any contractor pay workers comp, liability, licensing, billing, estimating, and every other business expense to come work for you for a day?

Roofers pay some of the highest liability rates (regular contractor insurance), and then workers comp can be as high as 75% of the payroll. So Johnny Roofjock making $200/day nailing down your shingles is costing the employer double... at least...

This is part of doing business in the construction industry (or any industry)... If you dont pass along ALL costs to the client, you'll be out of business before you even get started. Though I know you dont care, you just want a cheap roof.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:16 PM

22,747 posts, read 37,008,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Guy who went from DIY a roofing job to whining over contractor costs is telling us to stop worrying. lol. We're not. We're laughing. .
Seriously. Would love to know what town this guy lives in. I've got a couple guesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island