Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 03:54 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times

Advertisements

Not noisy at all when installed properly. That’s kinda a myth that they are noisy, I mean yeah if the panels are just nailed to the rafters and there is no sheathing or weather barrier down, then yeah, that would be noisy.

They can last almost forever. They shed snow like it’s nobody’s business, no worries about ice damming leaks, just so many positives. And only little more expensive than asphalt.
Probably wouldn’t look good on a vinyl sided McMansion or some of the other more popular LI tacky styled homes, but they look great on anything rustic, beachy, craftsman, custom, etc, you know like homes that are more tastefully designed.

Big fan. Metal roof on my place and all outbuildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 05:49 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
^ You know anyone out here who installs them?

Old 02-22-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^ You know anyone out here who installs them?
Not off the top of my head, but I know metal roofing has become really popular on the east end.
So there’s definitely more than a few companies installing them.
I did mine myself on my new place. Easy peasy.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:00 PM

78 posts, read 67,000 times
I'm interested in getting a quote on a standing seam metal roof. I'm planning on adding solar this spring and want to see the price difference between metal + panels vs tesla solar roof.

Either way I'm looking at a pretty penny, especially considering I'll be converting to a unvented hot roof.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:22 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Not noisy at all when installed properly. That’s kinda a myth that they are noisy, I mean yeah if the panels are just nailed to the rafters and there is no sheathing or weather barrier down, then yeah, that would be noisy.

They can last almost forever. They shed snow like it’s nobody’s business, no worries about ice damming leaks, just so many positives. And only little more expensive than asphalt.
Probably wouldn’t look good on a vinyl sided McMansion or some of the other more popular LI tacky styled homes, but they look great on anything rustic, beachy, craftsman, custom, etc, you know like homes that are more tastefully designed.

Big fan. Metal roof on my place and all outbuildings.
Any downsides to them getting hot in the summer? Fried pigeons?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-23-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Guess that would be a positive?
None that I’m aware of.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:02 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Have you encountered anything that can take a Pidgeon out of commission?

Old 02-26-2021, 08:56 AM

35 posts, read 22,147 times
sounds like what you are looking for is to go to home depot and grab a bunch of laborers, and pay them by the hour.
you can watch you tube videos to make sure they do it properly. this is the only way you will get the price you are looking for.
any company has to cover their operating expenses. salesman, office, INSURANCE.....

Old 02-26-2021, 09:02 AM

35 posts, read 22,147 times
Blue Tarp and 2x4's I've seen them last on houses for years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island