Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 09:54 AM

5 posts, read 11,027 times

Advertisements

Pros and cons to everywhere you live. I'm in Orlando myself and I've been in Florida since 1991. I think about the old neighborhood in Centereach and what it would be like now if I was there. That's normal thinking of course. But you have to think about how long you've been gone and even where you're at now you've been there for many years, and you've seen things changed where you are now. So sometimes we go back and look and think how things were where we were before but more than likely, many things have changed there as well. When looking at New York it's very expensive. More people I think would rather move away from there than move to there. And then you're going to get those people that will never ever leave and that's fine because the rest of the country can't absorb everyone coming from New York..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 4,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
Interesting turn of topic on this forum. I came in looking to see the opinions about coming back to LI after living in Orlando for 20 years. I ended up with storm evacuation and contingency plans. Fascinating.
I have lived in NY all my life, mostly in Brooklyn, then for the last 16 years in Lynbrook, LI. We lived through Sandy and fortunetly had only minor wind damage. No flooding thankfully. Growing up on an ocean block in Brooklyn, flooding was a once in 10 year threat. We only had water come in once my 30 years there and just a few inches in the basement. But we were aware it could happen.
Getting back to the OP's question, I think trying out NY for several month, in the winter, is the best test to see if it is the right move.
We have several places on the east coast of Florida as rental properties. One is on a canal that leads out a few houses from the Banana River. We have a soon to be 14 year old son and we have been thinking about leaving LI for the last three years to go to Fl. We may just pull the plug and move to that canal front home this summer. Still a lot to think about as my wife and I will be giving up decent jobs and a great house in a great neighborhood in Lynbrook. Our simple reason, quality of life from stress and mental state of mind. In order to live here, we have to work long and hard hours. We live comfortably but with ever changing requirements at work, it is getting to me. So the thought of pulling off the band aid and starting a new, slower life is appealing. It may help my high blood pressure and delay an eventual heart attack that I feel remaining on my current path may bring on.
So it stresses me to leave LI which I grew to love, but at my age of 55, it may be in our best interest. My son is all in, but I know that the schools are better here and obviously he will need to make new friends. For us, storm threats are not a concern. It's the positives of more consistant good weather, a bit slower pace, and the idea of being able to live a potentially less stressful way of life. Maybe it's just me, but that is real reason to relocate. Not so much Mother Nature, potential storms, or what if you have to evacuate. That is life we all face at one time or another. Everyone's tolerance of these potential threats is different. Just my opinion, but not a sole reason on whether to move or not.
OP here- wow! This posting went in a different direction! Where is your home on the Banana River? We have a condo in Indian Harbour Beach which is our escape from Orlando- it may only be an hour away but very different environment. If we don’t return to Long Island, we will most likely make a permanent move to Southern Brevard county- we do like the beachside communities of Melbourne Beach, Satellite Beach, IHB. This would be the other alternative location for us to raise our newborn- decisions, decisions,,,

Old 03-03-2021, 06:46 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
This reminds me of a great wiseman who once said when referring to nostalgia and the good old days:

“In the past, the present sucked”
-hotkarl

Old 10-10-2021, 06:36 AM

17 posts, read 45,597 times
I’ve been in Bayport for 12 years now and have three children of varying ages in the school system. It is a lovely town to raise a family. We have a few nice restaurants in the immediate area, but Sayville and Patchogue have a ton of dining options. We have a few breweries within 10 minutes drive and two performing arts centers nearby. If you must move anywhere on Long Island, Bayport- Blue Point should be on the short list. Taxes are quite high compared to other parts of the country, but relatively speaking they aren’t exorbitant for Long Island. I’m very happy here. Good luck if you come back, welcome home.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:35 PM

282 posts, read 247,783 times
Look at the gulf/west coast of Fl instead. I wouldn't want to be inland in Orlando, but there are nicer areas to move too. Long island is NOT what it used to be.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:17 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
"... Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth."

Wear sunscreen.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...mn-column.html

Old 10-12-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srq57 View Post
Look at the gulf/west coast of Fl instead. I wouldn't want to be inland in Orlando, but there are nicer areas to move too. Long island is NOT what it used to be.
They’ve invaded the west coast.
It’s not totally terrible just yet, but it’s on it’s way.
I have a bunch of family all across Florida, and they’re all pissed. Quality of life going down the tubes.
My FIL said if he knew it was gonna get like this he never would’ve left LI. He said it’s almost like he never left.
He did manage to squeak out a few good years though before it started getting bananas. He’s on the WC.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:01 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They’ve invaded the west coast.
It’s not totally terrible just yet, but it’s on it’s way.
I have a bunch of family all across Florida, and they’re all pissed. Quality of life going down the tubes.
My FIL said if he knew it was gonna get like this he never would’ve left LI. He said it’s almost like he never left.
He did manage to squeak out a few good years though before it started getting bananas. He’s on the WC.
Pinellas county has a bunch of transplant free areas, most are hard to get to have to cross bridges and pay small tolls and cant get a SFH under 700k. The northeast folks are all in Tampa and Clearwater and the neighboring areas.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Pinellas county has a bunch of transplant free areas, most are hard to get to have to cross bridges and pay small tolls and cant get a SFH under 700k. The northeast folks are all in Tampa and Clearwater and the neighboring areas.
They’re south as well. North Port, Venice, Sarasota, Port Charlotte, etc…loaded with them.
A word of advice to all, when you move, and you find paradise, keep your damn mouth shut if you want it to stay that way. Don’t brag about how great your new utopia is because “they’ll” come. And it won’t be good. It never ends well.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:38 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They’re south as well. North Port, Venice, Sarasota, Port Charlotte, etc…loaded with them.
A word of advice to all, when you move, and you find paradise, keep your damn mouth shut if you want it to stay that way. Don’t brag about how great your new utopia is because “they’ll” come. And it won’t be good. It never ends well.
We are "them".
IMHO what happens is people move somewhere and want the new place to become similar to where they left. Look what's happening in places like Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham and more recently the environs around Charleston SC. Smaller cities out west like Missoula are being invaded by outsiders who drive up prices so much , many natives are forced to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island