Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 01:12 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
sorry if folks are "downplaying" your silly claims and exaggerations. Of course Sandy was horrific and many areas of the south shore can and will flood again. NOBODY DENIES THIS. But saying you can't get off the island in advance of a hurricane is just alarmist nonsense...and it's simply a true statement that the vast majority of areas hit by Sandy have not only come back, but are thriving.

Yes, parts of the "Rockaways" experienced street flooding during this noreaster, but nobody was chased out of their house and the vast majority of the peninsula experienced zero flooding.
1. I didn't start any of the evacuation discussion. I'm curious who of the posters has ever had to actually evacuate. Perspectives are like opinions. They change with experience. I had to get off Corpus Christie once. That sucked donkey. LI would be a few million times worse.

2. Post Sandy areas are "thriving" to you maybe and the ones that are are due to billions in aid and insurance thrown at the problem. Check your tax bill, we're still paying.

3. So since Island Park floods so may times a year and developers don't care, that means we are NOT in a difficult situation? Check if those developers have sweet tax abatements, insurance waivers or any other perks IDAs give them and not us. That might be why they don't care. They can also fortify a big commercial building much easier than a sf home made of 2x4's.

You people are hysterically funny. I'm sure the guy floating away in the sanitation truck on Tuesday was laughing up a storm (see what I did there..."storm" get it). Derp. Bye.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 02-05-2021 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 01:52 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
that's absurd. Rush hour is a 3-4 hour block of time. As mentioned multiple times, you know a hurricane is coming DAYS in advance.

yes, many stupid people stayed to "protect their homes" or whatever. But that's irrelevant to my point which was that if they had wanted to evacuate to safer ground, they had plenty of notice and didn't have far to travel, i.e. a traffic jam on Long Beach Road wasn't going to stop them.
Like I said, I have no reason to make stuff up. People do not evacuate when told. They all wait til the last minute and then that "3 -4 hour rush hour" feeds upon it self as the late comers decide this is the time I am now willing to leave and you wind up with wall to wall cars on every road way.

Once the winds are sustained at 50 miles per hour the emergency services no long go out to rescue. If you are dumb enough to wait that long, it is on you. When people in the Freeport area called into the call center to be rescued they were told they waited too long and it was not safe for emergency services to be dispatched.

While Katrina was a sobering event, emergency services learned a lot. They were telling people if they refused to leave, to put their SS number on their arms in the event they could not be reached, so they could be identified. This is not a scare tactic, just reality especially down by the water. We also learned that people would not be separated from their pets. Nassau Community College field house was set up as a shelter and teh neighboring building for pets. At one point there were over 500 pets in the shelter.

I have taught courses in Emergency Preparedness for citizens. The single most asked question is how do I know when I really have to go. My response is always the same. When you are asked to go, please go. Staying with your house does you no good if the electricity goes out and you have no heat or a/c, possibly no water. You then become a burden on the community if you need to be rescued.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:02 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
Interesting turn of topic on this forum. I came in looking to see the opinions about coming back to LI after living in Orlando for 20 years. I ended up with storm evacuation and contingency plans. Fascinating.
I have lived in NY all my life, mostly in Brooklyn, then for the last 16 years in Lynbrook, LI. We lived through Sandy and fortunetly had only minor wind damage. No flooding thankfully. Growing up on an ocean block in Brooklyn, flooding was a once in 10 year threat. We only had water come in once my 30 years there and just a few inches in the basement. But we were aware it could happen.
Getting back to the OP's question, I think trying out NY for several month, in the winter, is the best test to see if it is the right move.
We have several places on the east coast of Florida as rental properties. One is on a canal that leads out a few houses from the Banana River. We have a soon to be 14 year old son and we have been thinking about leaving LI for the last three years to go to Fl. We may just pull the plug and move to that canal front home this summer. Still a lot to think about as my wife and I will be giving up decent jobs and a great house in a great neighborhood in Lynbrook. Our simple reason, quality of life from stress and mental state of mind. In order to live here, we have to work long and hard hours. We live comfortably but with ever changing requirements at work, it is getting to me. So the thought of pulling off the band aid and starting a new, slower life is appealing. It may help my high blood pressure and delay an eventual heart attack that I feel remaining on my current path may bring on.
So it stresses me to leave LI which I grew to love, but at my age of 55, it may be in our best interest. My son is all in, but I know that the schools are better here and obviously he will need to make new friends. For us, storm threats are not a concern. It's the positives of more consistant good weather, a bit slower pace, and the idea of being able to live a potentially less stressful way of life. Maybe it's just me, but that is real reason to relocate. Not so much Mother Nature, potential storms, or what if you have to evacuate. That is life we all face at one time or another. Everyone's tolerance of these potential threats is different. Just my opinion, but not a sole reason on whether to move or not.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:28 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
1. I didn't start any of the evacuation discussion. I'm curious who of the posters has ever had to actually evacuate. Perspectives are like opinions. They change with experience. I had to get off Corpus Christie once. That sucked donkey. LI would be a few million times worse.

2. Post Sandy areas are "thriving" to you maybe and the ones that are are due to billions in aid and insurance thrown at the problem. Check your tax bill, we're still paying.

3. So since Island Park floods so may times a year and developers don't care, that means we are NOT in a difficult situation? Check if those developers have sweet tax abatements, insurance waivers or any other perks IDAs give them and not us. That might be why they don't care. They can also fortify a big commercial building much easier than a sf home made of 2x4's.

You people are hysterically funny. I'm sure the guy floating away in the sanitation truck on Tuesday was laughing up a storm (see what I did there..."storm" get it). Derp. Bye.
I lived in LB during Sandy. They were mandating evacuations. Idk if everyone actually did. I went to my parents for a month until I could go back home. Home had no damage thankfully, it was just a waiting game.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I lived in LB during Sandy. They were mandating evacuations. Idk if everyone actually did. I went to my parents for a month until I could go back home. Home had no damage thankfully, it was just a waiting game.
And I visited homes that had fish in the living room and water marks about 3 feet up the wall in Long Beach.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:26 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
And I visited homes that had fish in the living room and water marks about 3 feet up the wall in Long Beach.
Goldfish or guppies?

Old 02-06-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Goldfish or guppies?
Gold fish. Actually, I have no idea except to say that it was a few days later, maybe the 2nd of Nov or so and based upon the stench, I can only imagine what a dead human must smell like. Imagine the smell of sea water soaked through carpeting, sofas, mattresses, drywall .....you got the idea.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:58 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
/\ I don’t have to imagine. I grew up in Island Park and still have family there. More importantly I worked on Sandy damaged houses for 5 years after. I know what happened.

Still doesn’t change the fact that escaping a hurricane storm surge will never be a problem to anyone who follows government evacuation orders. To those people who don’t, we say enjoy your freedom in the greatest country in the world!

Old 02-07-2021, 09:35 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Like I said, I have no reason to make stuff up. People do not evacuate when told. They all wait til the last minute and then that "3 -4 hour rush hour" feeds upon it self as the late comers decide this is the time I am now willing to leave and you wind up with wall to wall cars on every road way.
and when has this ever happened on LI? Here's a hint....it hasn't!

Quote:
Once the winds are sustained at 50 miles per hour the emergency services no long go out to rescue. If you are dumb enough to wait that long, it is on you. When people in the Freeport area called into the call center to be rescued they were told they waited too long and it was not safe for emergency services to be dispatched.

While Katrina was a sobering event, emergency services learned a lot. They were telling people if they refused to leave, to put their SS number on their arms in the event they could not be reached, so they could be identified. This is not a scare tactic, just reality especially down by the water. We also learned that people would not be separated from their pets. Nassau Community College field house was set up as a shelter and teh neighboring building for pets. At one point there were over 500 pets in the shelter.

I have taught courses in Emergency Preparedness for citizens. The single most asked question is how do I know when I really have to go. My response is always the same. When you are asked to go, please go. Staying with your house does you no good if the electricity goes out and you have no heat or a/c, possibly no water. You then become a burden on the community if you need to be rescued.
3 paragraphs that can be summed up with "people are dumb".

Still doesn't change that fact that if they wanted to evacuate, they could have.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:44 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
why? You're comparing apples and oranges.

Quote:
well that's irrelevant. Good job moving the goal posts on that one!

Quote:
I don't know much about Island Park - but are you really unaware of how homes can be built smarter near the coast?

Quote:
Wow - you saw a flood somewhere! I guess that makes you informed!

Unfortunately, it doesn't. You're pretty lost on this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island