Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 09:15 AM

4,700 posts, read 8,777,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Mostly significant storms, hurricanes and/or nor'easters. But I was also starting to wonder about my electric bill as temperatures continued to rise right along with the cost of electricity. The intensity and frequency of storms continues to trend upwards, Sandy was a view into what could become a recurring annual or bi-annual event, why have to deal with that if there are better options?

You dull the edges of the storm threat by pointing out that there's plenty of advanced warning when they're approaching. So staying safe and alive could remain manageable, but what about the increased likelihood that my home would be destroyed, or my community unlivable? I had a mortgage for a home that was worth an estimated $600K, what happens if due to storm damage that home is suddenly worth half that amount, or nothing at all?
Those concerns only apply if you're along the coast in a flood zone. Other than power going out, the vast majority of Long Island has little to worry about when it comes to hurricanes or noreasters. For those that do live along the coast, there's an obvious financial risk - but that risk is mitigated by insurance, etc. What areas are still financially depressed or "unlivable" since Sandy? Most are doing very well in terms of housing prices, even pre-pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
No, not really. As a former Emergency Preparedness person, the fact that unless you are counting ferries, there is only one way on to the island and one way off.

Sure, there are a few different ways off via bridges and tunnels but all the roads lead to just a few options.
but you just said "one way off". Now there's a few different ways?

Quote:
During Sandy, in the bunker
wait - you were in a "bunker"? Aren't bunkers typically underground? Isn't that the last place you'd want to be during a potential flood? Please tell us more!

Quote:
with us we had an official from the Galveston area of Texas, who was visiting family and the Emergency Operations Center. Galveston Island is only 30 odd miles long and a couple of miles wide. She explained that the only way on to the island is via car (shuttle, taxi) and during hurricanes they have mandatory evacuation orders and it is a night mare, because all traffic is toward I-45. LI is not that much different because while there are more options once you are in Queens, there are few options to get to Queens and the LI population is a lot greater than that of Galveston.
yes, the population of Long Island is larger than Galveston - but of course ALL OF LONG ISLAND has never had to be evacuated. And anyone stuck in a traffic jam leaving Galveston of all places only has themselves to blame. It's one of the most vulnerable spots in the whole country. You should be ready to go days in advance if need be.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:49 AM

690 posts, read 587,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Have you seen the flying car being developed? Lots of shore line as well for marine escape. My neighbor is armed to the tooth in case there is a home invasion, as if 1 gun wasn’t enough. The media has instilled a fear over this country that has done severe damage to society.
I have not seen the flying car, for me, it's easier to move to a place that is more comfortable, if and when the proverbial **** hits the fan. I don't indulge with the media, of course they are there to instill fear, and most buy into it. As someone who would like to be able to get to family, in the event of a catastrophe, LI is not the place for ME to be. I agreed with the previous poster. For you to say there are ways to escape on a boat is silly. Most do not own a boat, again, I'd rather move than buy and maintain a boat. This is not solely my reason for wanting to leave LI, as I am sure it's not anyone's. This is an example of one of many reasons that has been disputed And argued on here ad nauseam. If you feel comfortable and enjoy living here, fantastic! Cheers! To each their own.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:07 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,896,046 times
/\ You are right, to each is own. There are many reasons one can justify to leave Long Island but, risk of being stuck isn’t on the top of the list. Or a house losing value over a storm. It’s rather silly actually.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:32 AM

690 posts, read 587,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ You are right, to each is own. There are many reasons one can justify to leave Long Island but, risk of being stuck isn’t on the top of the list. Or a house losing value over a storm. It’s rather silly actually.
Agreed! And for what it's worth, I'd never worry about the second one :-)

Old 02-04-2021, 05:46 PM

20,203 posts, read 20,983,144 times
Defund the media.
The oogie boogie and fear mongering is just ridiculous.
A 3” snowstorm is the apocalypse.
Just report the damn weather as it is, for what it is.
Then when we have a real disaster like Sandy, people fluff it off because you over hyped some tropical storm the last time. It’s just stupid and irresponsible the way they present these things sometimes.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:02 PM

13,065 posts, read 18,190,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
but you just said "one way off". Now there's a few different ways?

There are several bridges or tunnels but they are only accessible by few East West roads. Literally, you are correct, but figuratively there are few roads to get you off the island. Just think rush hour times 10.

wait - you were in a "bunker"? Aren't bunkers typically underground? Isn't that the last place you'd want to be during a potential flood? Please tell us more!

Not if you are in the Nassau County Office of Emergency Management. It is a very secure below ground bunker. That is not threatened by flooding. It is centrally located.

yes, the population of Long Island is larger than Galveston - but of course ALL OF LONG ISLAND has never had to be evacuated. And anyone stuck in a traffic jam leaving Galveston of all places only has themselves to blame. It's one of the most vulnerable spots in the whole country. You should be ready to go days in advance if need be.
So should the population of Nassau County be ready, but they refused to leave during Sandy and the Fire Depts and Police units had to rescue many.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
There are several bridges or tunnels but they are only accessible by few East West roads. Literally, you are correct, but figuratively there are few roads to get you off the island. Just think rush hour times 10.
that's absurd. Rush hour is a 3-4 hour block of time. As mentioned multiple times, you know a hurricane is coming DAYS in advance.

Quote:
So should the population of Nassau County be ready, but they refused to leave during Sandy and the Fire Depts and Police units had to rescue many.
yes, many stupid people stayed to "protect their homes" or whatever. But that's irrelevant to my point which was that if they had wanted to evacuate to safer ground, they had plenty of notice and didn't have far to travel, i.e. a traffic jam on Long Beach Road wasn't going to stop them.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:39 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,833,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Defund the media.
The oogie boogie and fear mongering is just ridiculous.
A 3” snowstorm is the apocalypse.
Just report the damn weather as it is, for what it is.
Then when we have a real disaster like Sandy, people fluff it off because you over hyped some tropical storm the last time. It’s just stupid and irresponsible the way they present these things sometimes.
Suddenly it's all the media's fault because people are moronic sheep who can't use common sense OR listen to experts or reason?! The local weather report was not only NOT hysterical, but spot on the forecast. Said 6-12", possibly higher. We got 13".

Now that Weather Channel, those guys are imbeciles, getting caught faking hazardous conditions like dopes and getting it caught on video.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:44 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,833,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
that's absurd. Rush hour is a 3-4 hour block of time. As mentioned multiple times, you know a hurricane is coming DAYS in advance.

yes, many stupid people stayed to "protect their homes" or whatever. But that's irrelevant to my point which was that if they had wanted to evacuate to safer ground, they had plenty of notice and didn't have far to travel, i.e. a traffic jam on Long Beach Road wasn't going to stop them.
I'll politely disagree and say that LIers know evacuation would be a useless clusterphook, they don't trust the govt shelters and/or have nowhere in particular to go, so they stick around and hope for the best. Some even buy a generator, then line up to hopefully get gas for it. This place is worse than many barrier islands as far as safe escape (because we're anti-rule and have no contingency plans). LI is more of a "put your head between your legs and kiss your azzz goodbye" kinda place. Then blame a) media b) politicians c) cops and teachers d) liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island