Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 08:44 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,895,255 times

Advertisements

It's (potentially) worse than that.

We are not required to get vaccinated here -but I'd say 90%+ are and the very few that aren't fall in a couple obvious categories:

1. Anaphylaxis fears, based on past events - whatever the low odds of are of that, I don't blame them.
2. Already had a symptomatic COVID infection and are waiting a while, as they're in little risk.
3. Complete flipping nutcakes.

But I say "worse" (for the employees) because THIS company requiring it is not the issue; we travel, we interact, we go to meetings and work in teams with other businesses and their clients, too.

MANY OF THEM require a vaccine to visit - and as a result - if you want to work here (for very long) you, too, will be de facto required to get a vaccine. You just won't be able to do your job without it. This will be true in many, many industries. So fretting over whether or not a place can require it - you betcha, and with good reason - they'll go out of business without it.

Note I am not debating the sense of it - I'm just saying: That's how it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 08:46 AM

656 posts, read 1,063,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Do people openly ask each other whether or not they have gotten the vaccine? have there been any discussions about it? Or it was simply "it seems safe to come back into the office so that's what we are doing" with no mention of vaccines?

Just wondering how other companies on LI are handling it.
My company has avoided these discussions because masking/vaccination is so politically charged. So if someone says they don't want to wear a mask or maybe that they aren't vaccinated...some will assume the are Trump supporters and that could impact your standing....or if you come in wearing a mask, face shield and using hand sanitizer every 2 minutes that you are overreacting.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:54 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,258,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
My company has avoided these discussions because masking/vaccination is so politically charged. So if someone says they don't want to wear a mask or maybe that they aren't vaccinated...some will assume the are Trump supporters and that could impact your standing....or if you come in wearing a mask, face shield and using hand sanitizer every 2 minutes that you are overreacting.
How have they avoided it?? How are they providing a safe environment for employees in the office without discussing masks, vaccinations and social distancing??

Old 05-14-2021, 12:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,109,892 times
Not an issue for me since I don’t need to go back to the office for the rest of this year. Not missing the MTA one bit

Old 05-14-2021, 02:28 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,528,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Sure they can, with a couple of very narrow exceptions that don't usually apply. A company could also fire you because they don't like the direction you parted your hair that morning.
Correct. But if something goes wrong with the vaccine, you're going to file a potentially costly Workers' Compensation claim, and potentially a lawsuit depending on how bad your reaction to the vaccine is. I doubt most larger employers would take the risk. They're not shielded from liability like the pharmaceutical companies are.

In a related matter, note all the talk of forced vaccinations for students, but not for faculty. Wonder why that is.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:23 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,160,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Can companies legally do this?

I guess if you didn’t get vaxxed you couldn’t get fired but you just wouldnt be able to come to the office and maybe will have to work from home?
Also for companies to track who is faxed and who isn’t would be a full time job, I know this from HR execs.
Our Guv just lifted most of the mask mandate and is shutting down the vax sites as the numbers of people going are dwindling.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:17 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,546,979 times
I'm not sure there is a definitive answer on this.

There was a news story a few months back. A waitress in Brooklyn was fired because she told her employer she was not planning to get the vaccine. It wasn't an "on your side" type of story... seems the support was more for the restaurant that was "keeping people safe."

So I guess you CAN be terminated for not getting a vaccine. Whether that holds up to legal action is another story.

Since the government is selling the vaccine like they get a commission and New York is especially over the top on masks, closures, etc. I would guess the courts are going to side with the "required vaccine" employer.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Vaccine passports, workplace requirements, school vaccine requirements are all likely to be put to the test.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:39 PM

4,534 posts, read 8,353,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yup only thing they can’t fire you for is racial, sex, age discrimination. And even then you have to prove it.

They could also restrict non-vaccinated people from coming into the office and then fire you for not coming into the office.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:29 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,160,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post

There was a news story a few months back. A waitress in Brooklyn was fired because she told her employer she was not planning to get the vaccine. It wasn't an "on your side" type of story... seems the support was more for the restaurant that was "keeping people safe."

So I guess you CAN be terminated for not getting a vaccine. Whether that holds up to legal action is another story.

Since the government is selling the vaccine like they get a commission and New York is especially over the top on masks, closures, etc. I would guess the courts are going to side with the "required vaccine" employer.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Vaccine passports, workplace requirements, school vaccine requirements are all likely to be put to the test.
According to one HR exec even asking the question can fall into PHI.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:48 PM

4,534 posts, read 8,353,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post

Could also become a dating requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island