Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 03:27 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
What is PHI?
Private Health Information, but the EEOC said that employers can inquire about your vax status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 06:13 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,343,309 times
Can't employers and schools also inquire about your mumps, measles, chicken pox and other vaccines as well?

Old 05-25-2021, 06:59 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
I was thinking the same thing. I guess that’s allowed because it’s approved by the CDC? That’s the inky thing I can think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Can't employers and schools also inquire about your mumps, measles, chicken pox and other vaccines as well?

Old 05-25-2021, 08:32 PM

38 posts, read 52,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Do people openly ask each other whether or not they have gotten the vaccine? have there been any discussions about it? Or it was simply "it seems safe to come back into the office so that's what we are doing" with no mention of vaccines?

Just wondering how other companies on LI are handling it.
My office of about 30 has had 4-5 known positive cases. Although HR can't state who in particular, the individuals have been very forthcoming in letting the rest of us know - why should it be any different from telling your co-workers you had the flu? Is there supposed to be some kind of horrible stigma attached?
We are also very open about whether we have been vaccinated, plan to be, or refuse to be. I also ask my friends, relatives, workers at shops I frequently visit, etc. if they have been vaccinated...solely as a topic of conversation...everyone is pretty open about it in my experience.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:09 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,088,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I was taking a class at C.W. Post in 1989 when they had a measles outbreak and they insisted every student get vaccinated or show proof of prior vaccination. I had measles as a kid so I was immune but had no way of proving it so I went for a vaccine. They handed me a release to sign which listed the side effects and one of them was a 6% chance of arthritis. When I saw that I walked out of the place. No reason to risk getting arthritis when there was no benefit to me from the vaccine. Next class I told the professor who was supposed to be enforcing the vaccination rules that I had the measles as a kid and he said fine.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:21 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Everything in life has risk …odds are pretty good at some point we will be injured in a car accident…but that doesn’t mean we don’t drive .

We all weigh the risk vs benefit and make a choice

Old 05-26-2021, 07:23 AM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I was taking a class at C.W. Post in 1989 when they had a measles outbreak and they insisted every student get vaccinated or show proof of prior vaccination. I had measles as a kid so I was immune but had no way of proving it so I went for a vaccine. They handed me a release to sign which listed the side effects and one of them was a 6% chance of arthritis. When I saw that I walked out of the place. No reason to risk getting arthritis when there was no benefit to me from the vaccine. Next class I told the professor who was supposed to be enforcing the vaccination rules that I had the measles as a kid and he said fine.
A simple blood test would have revealed that you already the measles. That's what I did when I also had to show proof of an MMR when I attended grad school at a Long Island college. They wouldn't let me register unless I had proof and like you, I didn't have any proof since there was no MMR vaccine when I was a kid. I also had the diseases. I had the blood test at the college infirmary since there was no charge. If i had the test performed at my doctor's office, they would have charged me. Unlike you, this wasn't for a single class. It was for a degree program. I had to bring that proof to the registrar's office.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
A simple blood test would have revealed that you already the measles. That's what I did when I also had to show proof of an MMR when I attended grad school at a Long Island college. They wouldn't let me register unless I had proof and like you, I didn't have any proof since there was no MMR vaccine when I was a kid. I also had the diseases. I had the blood test at the college infirmary since there was no charge. If i had the test performed at my doctor's office, they would have charged me. Unlike you, this wasn't for a single class. It was for a degree program. I had to bring that proof to the registrar's office.
What year was that? Was the antibody test for measles available 32 years ago? During that 1989 measles outbreak there was no mention of an antibody test or any offer of one. It was either show proof of a vaccination or get vaccinated.

BTW, the class I was taking was a degree class, not sure why that would matter anyway.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:42 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
What year was that? Was the antibody test for measles available 32 years ago? During that 1989 measles outbreak there was no mention of an antibody test or any offer of one. It was either show proof of a vaccination or get vaccinated.

BTW, the class I was taking was a degree class, not sure why that would matter anyway.
My point was that the requirement was not just for a single class, but rather for the graduate school program. There are different rules if you are a matriculated vs. nonmatriculated student. In your case, it didn't matter. This was 1990.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
My point was that the requirement was not just for a single class, but rather for the graduate school program. There are different rules if you are a matriculated vs. nonmatriculated student. In your case, it didn't matter. This was 1990.
From a scientific point of view, it doesn’t matter if a student is matriculated or not matriculated. Measles wouldn’t know your registration status. I was in a college degree class full of matriculated students and if the concern was controlling the outbreak then registration status wouldn’t matter. At C.W. Post each professor was supposed to check vaccine status of the students when they arrived in class.

Also, this wasn’t an issue of proving your vaccination status to be admitted as a matriculated student, it was a response to an outbreak on campus. Maybe the 1989 outbreak led to tighter admission requirements in 1990. I matriculated in undergraduate school in the 1970s and graduate school in the 1980s (prior to 1989) and was never asked to prove measles vaccination status. I was born a little after the cutoff year when they assume you had the measles so maybe they just assumed I had it if indeed they were screening students for vaccine status 40 years ago.

Edit: See my comment below. I just saw that the public health law requiring proof of immunization was passed in June 1989, AFTER the 1989 outbreak. You were subject to it when you enrolled a year later in 1990. It was not in effect when I enrolled at C.W. Post in early 1989 or matriculated in the 1970s and 1980s at undergrad and grad schools.

Last edited by martinjsxx; 05-27-2021 at 02:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island