Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 08:24 PM

57,388 posts, read 26,302,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
If you think it's "easy to buy a gun" Try going into a gun shop and ask about the gun buying process. You'll get an education and actually know something about what you are speaking about.
Yes it takes months to get a handgun in NYS not true for rifles and certainly not true for guns pouring into NY from states with weak gun laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 02:48 AM

5,073 posts, read 3,970,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes it takes months to get a handgun in NYS not true for rifles and certainly not true for guns pouring into NY from states with weak gun laws.
Perhaps off the topic and not to diminish the threat, but when was the last time a rifle was used in a school shooting here on Long Island?

(Surely local leaders weigh the threat when considering, for example, placing armed guards in the schools or waiting periods for rifles.)

Old 06-16-2022, 08:17 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,545,007 times
Quote:
You perpetuate false political talking points.

In what state do "weak laws" allow a NY resident to legally purchase a handgun?

(spoiler alert: none)

In what state do "weak laws" allow a NY resident to purchase a long gun that is not legal to own in NY?

(spoiler alert: none. Most out-of-state shops will not sell ANY gun directly to a NY resident, even where legal to do so.)

The only way a handgun gun comes into NY legally is through an FFL transfer. Even if you find the rare dealer who will sell a long gun to a NY resident, there is still a required background check involved (thus, the same "strong" gun laws as would apply in NY).

If a gun comes into NY illegally, it was almost certainly acquired illegally.

I'm sure there is the rare exception to this rule, but "pouring in" is an outright lie designed to scare the uninformed.

edited to add: and it doesn't take "months" to get a handgun in NYS. On LI it only takes a few trips back and forth the police HQ. It can be done in one day, or even a few hours.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
You perpetuate false political talking points.

In what state do "weak laws" allow a NY resident to legally purchase a handgun?

(spoiler alert: none)

In what state do "weak laws" allow a NY resident to purchase a long gun that is not legal to own in NY?

(spoiler alert: none. Most out-of-state shops will not sell ANY gun directly to a NY resident, even where legal to do so.)

The only way a handgun gun comes into NY legally is through an FFL transfer. Even if you find the rare dealer who will sell a long gun to a NY resident, there is still a required background check involved (thus, the same "strong" gun laws as would apply in NY).

If a gun comes into NY illegally, it was almost certainly acquired illegally.

I'm sure there is the rare exception to this rule, but "pouring in" is an outright lie designed to scare the uninformed.

edited to add: and it doesn't take "months" to get a handgun in NYS. On LI it only takes a few trips back and forth the police HQ. It can be done in one day, or even a few hours.

Wrong as usual, obviously I was speaking to illegal guns coming to NY from states with weak gun laws like Georgia where you can just walk into a pawn shop and walk out with a handgun. So spare me your spoiler alerts.

If you don't like the term pouring in then come up with your own definition and educate yourself on illegal guns coming into NYS and NYC.

Quote:
NEW YORK - The guns are here in New York City and they keep coming.

"90% of these guns don't come from New York. They come along I-95 — they come from states with lax gun laws," New York Attorney General Letitia James said at a recent gun buyback event in Queens.
https://www.fox5ny.com/news/iron-pip...-guns-new-york

It doesn't take months to get a handgun in permit in Nassau, really. Background checks, fingerprinting, cosigners can just done in a few hours, this I have to see because it takes months or over a year.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Perhaps off the topic and not to diminish the threat, but when was the last time a rifle was used in a school shooting here on Long Island?

(Surely local leaders weigh the threat when considering, for example, placing armed guards in the schools or waiting periods for rifles.)
I don't recall a school shooting with a rifle on LI but it most certainly happens nationwide and not just in schools, we had several shootings with rifles most recently the supermarket in Buffalo. I don't understand why anyone would need an AR-15 let alone an 18year old.

Old 06-16-2022, 07:09 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,677,009 times
Quote:
I don't understand why anyone would need an AR-15 let alone an 18year old.
Good reporting:
https://www.thetrace.org/2022/06/ar1...lt-weapon-ban/

Old 06-17-2022, 10:08 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,545,007 times
Quote:
Wrong as usual, obviously I was speaking to illegal guns coming to NY from states with weak gun laws like Georgia where you can just walk into a pawn shop and walk out with a handgun. So spare me your spoiler alerts.
It amazes me how people totally ignore the facts.

It is illegal for a NY resident to walk into a store in GA (or any other state) and walk out with a handgun. This is federal law. The only way to purchase a handgun in another state is to have it shipped to a FFL in NY.

It takes all of 2 seconds to look this up on your own. You need to stop listening to the political BS.

Go ahead and try to buy a handgun in a GA shop. They won't sell it to you. If they do, the shop and you will be guilty of violating federal law.

Rather than quote a sensationalized news outlet, how about the ATF (the federal agency tasked with enforcing these interstate issues).

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...aspdf/download

Quote:
If you don't like the term pouring in then come up with your own definition and educate yourself on illegal guns coming into NYS and NYC.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/iron-pip...-guns-new-york
Because the news and politicians are NEVER guilty of hyperbole.

If a handgun comes into NY illegally from the "pipeline" it was obtained illegally in the other state.

It's all political word games. It's like saying cocaine gets to NY because of weak drug laws in Florida... or Fentenayl arrives in NY because of weak drug laws in TX. Sure it's possible some illegal guns come to NY from GA or VA... but that is NOT because they were legally obtained there.

Quote:
It doesn't take months to get a handgun in permit in Nassau, really. Background checks, fingerprinting, cosigners can just done in a few hours, this I have to see because it takes months or over a year.
Permit is not the same as purchase. You wrote purchase, which is what I responded to.

Not sure how long the wait is in Nassau right now, but it is months.
Suffolk is still running 18 months to 2 years.
Many upstate counties will issue a permit in two weeks or less.
Wait times (and license restrictions) are based on political factors and vary widely throughout the state.

Once you have a pistol permit in NY, you can purchase and receive a pistol as soon as the same day.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:08 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,677,009 times
Quote:
Permit is not the same as purchase. You wrote purchase, which is what I responded to.

Not sure how long the wait is in Nassau right now, but it is months.
Suffolk is still running 18 months to 2 years.
Many upstate counties will issue a permit in two weeks or less.
Wait times (and license restrictions) are based on political factors and vary widely throughout the state.

Once you have a pistol permit in NY, you can purchase and receive a pistol as soon as the same day.
To be clear - up above, you are referring to wait times to obtain a permit?
In NY can a Nassau County resident obtain a permit in another county?
Does each NY county handle it differently? I see references to getting a fingerprint date in Nassau but in Suffolk they did fingerprinting when the candidate brought his application papers and fee to the Sheriff's office.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:49 PM

544 posts, read 942,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEATSHIRT View Post
There's no real evidence that the number of guns in an area "deters" crime in any meaningful way, and I say that as a staunch, single-issue gun rights voter.

Having a gun might make you as an individual more safe (or feel more safe), but it doesn't seem to have any real statistical impact on the population in general.
I have a vacation cabin deep in the Vermont woods. One day I was home with my daughter when someone knocked on the door. I looked out the glass. There stood two tweakers, all nervous looking and insisting my red house was a farm and they were to meet someone there. I told them it wasn't and to head back out to the main road to ask the gas station guy if he knew of that farm. They started getting agitated and closer to the door.

I had a rifle down at my side. I raised it and aimed it at the door. Next, I gave them a choice: get back in their car and get the hell out of there *or* guess who I would shoot first. They opted to leave.

In a rural area where VSP or EMS takes 15 minutes to respond on a good day, having a gun makes a difference. Imposing urban/suburban gun laws in rural areas is ridiculous.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:53 PM

544 posts, read 942,649 times
Quote:
It amazes me how people totally ignore the facts.

It is illegal for a NY resident to walk into a store in GA (or any other state) and walk out with a handgun. This is federal law. The only way to purchase a handgun in another state is to have it shipped to a FFL in NY.

It takes all of 2 seconds to look this up on your own. You need to stop listening to the political BS.

Go ahead and try to buy a handgun in a GA shop. They won't sell it to you. If they do, the shop and you will be guilty of violating federal law.

Rather than quote a sensationalized news outlet, how about the ATF (the federal agency tasked with enforcing these interstate issues).

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...aspdf/download
Those facts are so pesky, aren't they?
I could not just walk out of my widowed mother's Florida house with my late father's handgun. As a NYS resident, someone else would have had to take it to a gun shop in Florida to arrange transport of the gun to an FFL in NYS. My husband has the permit, so it would be his to retrieve and bring to Yaphank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island