Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 11:52 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Take this however you like, but the reason I even thought about this was due to a radio show from a few weeks ago: https://everytownresearch.org/rankings/
Everytown is one of thee most vociferous anti gun organizations in the entire country. What would you expect from them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 11:58 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I'm wondering if they used this too: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...ty/firearm.htm

I say that, because it looks similar to the Gun Violence Rate section.

A related article: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...hs-in-the-u-s/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-12-2022 at 12:12 PM..

Old 07-15-2022, 01:58 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Criminals do not obtain guns legally. They could care less about backgrounds and permits. These new laws are created to discourage people from applying and enjoying their constitutional right to carry.
"Criminals" might not , but all of the recent mass shootings of families and sweet beautiful
children as well the mass shooting in Buffalo were committed by young boys who had purchased their
constitutionally allowable automatic weapons legally .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-15-2022, 03:10 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
"Criminals" might not , but all of the recent mass shootings of families and sweet beautiful
children as well the mass shooting in Buffalo were committed by young boys who had purchased their
Good lord. Read and Understand . All would have failed Back ground checks . due your left wing Liberal GOV failure the did not. All had A past history of Violence.
Get your head out of your ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????

Old 07-15-2022, 05:05 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Actually there are "mass shootings" happening all of the time in Chicago, the difference was victims and location.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/video/1072113

And yes, I would not like to be hit with .223 any day of the week. The hydrosatatic effect from Rittenhouse's rifle were also due to the close range.

I will say that most school resource officers on LI, or pretty much anywhere, aren't even ready to go up against someone with a Glock 44. But that's because they aren't really trained for it in the first place, and don't drill it if they were trained. Training costs money and time, and taxpayers don't like to have public safety spend money on something that is rare. It also has to do with their department's procedures for if they are expected to wait for tactical to show up, or are they expected to go in on their own.
Mass shootings in inner city neighborhoods are mostly gangs, a shooting in an elementary school or supermarket is quite different. Imagine if an 18 year old walked into a Nassau County Stop & Shop with an AR-15 and killed 20 people, is that what it takes to get people attention.

Believe me no resource officers aren't going to be able to handle this, better to have strict laws rather than fooling ourselves that we have an armed solution.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:08 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
Good lord. Read and Understand . All would have failed Back ground checks . due your left wing Liberal GOV failure the did not. All had A past history of Violence.
Get your head out of your ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????
Which is why we need stricter gun laws.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:05 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Mass shootings in inner city neighborhoods are mostly gangs, a shooting in an elementary school or supermarket is quite different. Imagine if an 18 year old walked into a Nassau County Stop & Shop with an AR-15 and killed 20 people, is that what it takes to get people attention.

Believe me no resource officers aren't going to be able to handle this, better to have strict laws rather than fooling ourselves that we have an armed solution.
No, they’re really not if you’re on the wrong end. You can think that those killed by criminals is different but a kid or other innocent life that’s taken counts.
Laws are broken daily, paper doesn’t stop bullets. Law enforcement is reactive, and only comes into play once a law is broken, so the clock starts ticking once they’re aware of an event. Once you’re in an active shooter situation time, training and leadership stop active shooters. Adequate training and proper mindset of resource officers goes a long way to saving lives.

Remember: A motivated individual with a plan and initiative will usually succeed in what they set out to do, unless you can figure out what they are up to first. 9/11 wasn't pulled off with AR-15s but by...motivated individuals with a plan and initiative. The Boston Marathon bombing was pulled off, once again, by motivated individuals with a plan and initiative. Laws don't fix that.

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 07-16-2022 at 08:22 AM..

Old 07-16-2022, 12:21 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
1. They did not purchase, nor did they use "automatic" weapons

2. If they had purchased (or possessed) automatic weapons, it would have been illegal

3. While I would agree with your opinion that the constitution allows automatic weapons, the federal government has disagreed with this premise since 1934. That's when the NFA went into effect. While it is technically possible for law-abiding citizens to own automatic weapons under the NFA in some states, the process and costs involved make ownership prohibitive for all but a select few. In practice, it is impossible to purchase, own, or possess an automatic weapon in the state of NY.

If _existing_ laws and rules were enforced, the Buffalo shooter would not have had access to a firearm. New laws make uninformed people feel good but do absolutely nothing else.

Governments like to waste money because it isn't theirs. The COBIS system has been in place for years. It causes inconvenience and cost for law-abiding citizens and legitimate businesses. It has wasted something like a billion dollars of taxpayer money. It has solved a total of ZERO crimes. I bet the ammo database will be 10x more effective (10 x 0 =0) at 2-3x the cost.

Politicians get to say "I did something" while throwing your money around to friends and donors. It's in their best interests to have zero results because then they get to do it all again with new programs in a few years.

Old 07-16-2022, 02:55 PM

718 posts, read 619,866 times
Someone with a gun inside these schools could have stopped these whackos kids going on a rampage. The uvalde cops were a bunch of cowards afraid to go in for one hour. They were basically useless chickens. They should all be fired for doing nothing.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:58 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Someone with a gun inside these schools could have stopped these whackos kids going on a rampage. The uvalde cops were a bunch of cowards afraid to go in for one hour. They were basically useless chickens. They should all be fired for doing nothing.
Not all were. One of the original three in the door, the guy in the white shirt, was trying to find a solution from the first minutes. But yeah, the LEOs failed in their job plain and simple. Would an armed resource officer be effective? Only if he was trained, maintained that training, knew every inch of that school like the back of his hand, and... was willing to engage. And that means money.

To be honest, I'd be afraid to go in and I shoot 100 rounds a week against a target not shooting back with no adrenaline dump. That leaves a lot of training that I haven't done or haven't kept up on so maybe if I'm feeling really good I'd stage at the open doors knowing that the shooter likely can't hit that angle, door frames have a little more in the coverage department and I'm somewhat concealed. In other words, even though I can hit the target 8 out of 10 times at 25 yards (with an ugly grouping) with iron sights I wouldn't be ready to engage.

Now my dad was NYPD in the 1960s and 70s and had to make decisions on his own if there wasn't time to get to a police box or wave a car down. He was in at least one gun fight in a subway, on his own, until a NYPD detective saw a signal that my dad left and realized that another cop was engaged. No radios, no checking in what to do with command, just him, and that detective. They had to make any calls, good or bad, on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island