Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 11:20 AM

983 posts, read 724,976 times

Advertisements

https://www.dataforprogress.org/blog...w-construction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 11:59 AM

37,132 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
EV's are great as commuters or if you like performance (although they are still overpriced). But they are terrible as work trucks, you already lose like 30% + range in the cold once you strain the battery further (like plowing or towing) range can suffer over 50% easily. As far as working vehicles go EV's are not ready for prime time yet.

I think the work truck bit depends on what you're using that work truck for. It can be great to have a lot of onboard power delivery to tools without needing to run the vehicle and the cost per mile of running these can be very low if you're charging them at general rate. They also have far fewer moving parts and thus are generally much cheaper in maintenance. Where they do poorly though is if you're towing large trailers over long distances (highway speeds) since EVs are so efficient, that increase in aerodynamic drag directly impacts energy consumption whereas internal combustion engines are generally so inefficient at the base level that they're generally tuned for a certain rpm band and the driving conditions thus make relatively little difference. What I've been seeing a lot of in terms of EV work trucks in NYC of late are Amazon's delivery trucks made by Rivian and those are fantastic for their application as they aren't towing any trailers and they're well-suited for frequent stop and go driving with fairly few miles traveled at highway speeds per day, but enough miles and operator time every day that the fuel savings likely accrue very rapidly.

EVs are ready for prime time for the most part except for these very important conditions which affect about half of the car-buying US public:
- You live without a pathway to home charging: this is the number one reason by far to not get an EV because without this, you don't really accrue the savings or get that extra convenience
- You live in a place with Fairbanks, AK-esque winters that are long and deeply cold: ICE vehicles produce a lot of waste heat far in excess of what winters in most of the US require and especially LI to warm the vehicles, but winters like that in Fairbanks, AK are so severe and for so long that that is not so much the case
- You routinely drive several hundred miles or more in a single day in every vehicle you buy and you're *not* buying in the premium sedan segment
- You routinely tow large trailers over hundreds of miles in a single in every vehicle you buy

Aside from that, EVs if there's a make and model you like which in the US is rapidly improving but still a bit limited, generally work fine.

I would also that they are *not* overpriced for performance. If anything, they strongly undercut internal combustion engines vehicles when it comes to performance. The performance numbers of something like the Tesla Model 3 Performance which is an under 6 figure car has performance specs of vehicles an order of magnitude more expensive and yet in normal driving will yield twice as good energy efficiency as a Prius (while being much larger). It's gotten pretty absurd what the performance specs for EVs are and a lot of that stems from electric motors just being incredibly efficient over a very broad range of rpms.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:12 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
I can’t wait for this to happen and then they retrofit old buildings. Then landlords say hey if it’s electric heat and hw then it can be be connected to a specific unit. Pow your apartment now is the same price but you have to pay for heat and HW when leases expires.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I can’t wait for this to happen and then they retrofit old buildings. Then landlords say hey if it’s electric heat and hw then it can be be connected to a specific unit. Pow your apartment now is the same price but you have to pay for heat and HW when leases expires.
Yea, that's quite possibly what happens, but I think the important thing for renters is to be aware of that and thus to factor that in when renting. After all, when landlords include heat and hot water in rent, it's not like they don't include that in their actual expenses when deciding the rent to charge. Instead, they assume a certain cost and incorporate the flat cost. It's important that renters understand though when there is a change and that these are not included. It's also important to know if the electric heat and hot water is via heat pumps which would have fairly nominal power draw or if they are from resistance heat which is substantially less efficient.

I do think this, while probably going to be rife with growing pains, is the better solution than systems where the heating is turned on and off at will (or for NYC at least, I believe it's on when under 50F) as people have different preferences for what they'd like the ambient temperature to be and for some, 51F is quite cold. It also incentives at the point of use using as much energy as actually necessary.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:19 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
I am.sure we will.be hearing the sob stories from renters who wont be able to afford their 1k a month electric bill. You see it in the Poconos when NYers leave their apartments with provided gas heat here and then have to pay for electric heat there.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:20 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,701,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Did they interview only people who had lobotomies and lived?

Old 01-10-2023, 12:40 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
LOL!!! of course he cited "data for progress" Literally a far left activist org. that manipulates data and surveys to support their crazy causes. Don't listen to a word from one of their "polls" they are a joke.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:40 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Total scam and propaganda hit piece. Most likely downstate/metro areas were the focus of the poll.
There is no way in hell, no friggin way “the majority” of NY’ers support this, at least not by land mass.
If all the city bleeding hearts want this then do it in your own backyard. Stop making the rest of the state suffer because of your selfish wants and needs. Really. Y’all can suck it hard. Scumbags.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I am.sure we will.be hearing the sob stories from renters who wont be able to afford their 1k a month electric bill. You see it in the Poconos when NYers leave their apartments with provided gas heat here and then have to pay for electric heat there.

I am, too. That's why I think it's important to know beforehand what kind of electric heat is being used. There is a massive efficiency difference between cold climate heat pumps and electrical resistance heaters. It's when you get saddled with the latter that it really goes terribly.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:11 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think the work truck bit depends on what you're using that work truck for. It can be great to have a lot of onboard power delivery to tools without needing to run the vehicle and the cost per mile of running these can be very low if you're charging them at general rate. They also have far fewer moving parts and thus are generally much cheaper in maintenance. Where they do poorly though is if you're towing large trailers over long distances (highway speeds) since EVs are so efficient, that increase in aerodynamic drag directly impacts energy consumption whereas internal combustion engines are generally so inefficient at the base level that they're generally tuned for a certain rpm band and the driving conditions thus make relatively little difference. What I've been seeing a lot of in terms of EV work trucks in NYC of late are Amazon's delivery trucks made by Rivian and those are fantastic for their application as they aren't towing any trailers and they're well-suited for frequent stop and go driving with fairly few miles traveled at highway speeds per day, but enough miles and operator time every day that the fuel savings likely accrue very rapidly.

EVs are ready for prime time for the most part except for these very important conditions which affect about half of the car-buying US public:
- You live without a pathway to home charging: this is the number one reason by far to not get an EV because without this, you don't really accrue the savings or get that extra convenience
- You live in a place with Fairbanks, AK-esque winters that are long and deeply cold: ICE vehicles produce a lot of waste heat far in excess of what winters in most of the US require and especially LI to warm the vehicles, but winters like that in Fairbanks, AK are so severe and for so long that that is not so much the case
- You routinely drive several hundred miles or more in a single day in every vehicle you buy and you're *not* buying in the premium sedan segment
- You routinely tow large trailers over hundreds of miles in a single in every vehicle you buy

Aside from that, EVs if there's a make and model you like which in the US is rapidly improving but still a bit limited, generally work fine.

I would also that they are *not* overpriced for performance. If anything, they strongly undercut internal combustion engines vehicles when it comes to performance. The performance numbers of something like the Tesla Model 3 Performance which is an under 6 figure car has performance specs of vehicles an order of magnitude more expensive and yet in normal driving will yield twice as good energy efficiency as a Prius (while being much larger). It's gotten pretty absurd what the performance specs for EVs are and a lot of that stems from electric motors just being incredibly efficient over a very broad range of rpms.
I don't mean they are overpriced for performance. I mean they are overpriced in general. Until that changes they will not be mass adopted. You can get for an example, a kia Telluride base model for 35k, a full sized SUV with a ton of practicality. An EV of the same size we are talking 80+ K easy. Also the national charging infrastructure is still awful for road trips outside of Tesla (Full disclosure I own 2 EV's and am well aware of their positives and shortcomings). This will hopefully improve but it has been slow going. We still have a ways to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island