Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 09:29 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,709,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Local Republicans want him gone, but national Republicans are fine with things as is and haven't called for him to resign
There are a few who want him gone too. He's going to have trouble raising money for 2024.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 02:39 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
While Santos is not nearly as nutty as former Biden official Sam Brinton he does seem to have some sort of a mental problem.

Old 02-24-2023, 10:46 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
No mental problem. This is how you win now in a post truth world. Alternative facts are the default . Truth died a long time ago. Nobody cares about the truth but only the win.

Old 02-24-2023, 04:17 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
There are a few who want him gone too. He's going to have trouble raising money for 2024.
Well of course the $$ he can't explain could appear again.

Old 02-25-2023, 02:09 PM

427 posts, read 155,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
No mental problem. This is how you win now in a post truth world. Alternative facts are the default . Truth died a long time ago. Nobody cares about the truth but only the win.
I love watching the side that regularly rigs elections (even their own primaries) complain about a "post truth world". The side that advocates censorship of dissenting voices, and, once it gets total control, starts eliminating those voices all together. The only thing that I want to die is leftist politics, and if a liar is what it takes, then Mazel Tov, Congressman.

Old 02-25-2023, 04:53 PM

Nice snark, but that's not how elections are rigged. They do so via ballot harvesting, which is a bit complex so I'll explain it to you.

Harvesting first came to my awareness prior to the 2020 election, thanks to the efforts of Stacey Abrams in Georgia to effectively neuter protections against illegal harvesting (with the cooperation of spineless Georgia Republicans). She got them to set up completely unsupervised drop boxes for ballots. Well, once you do that, forget about having an honest election. I think they also threw out signature checking (which at any rate with hundreds of thousands of mail-in ballots would be an impractical - i.e., easily defeated - security measure.

Favored targets of harvesting operations are nursing homes and homeless shelters. You send someone in to "help people vote", i.e. request ballots for any and all residents. Some operatives might find it quicker to fill out the requests themselves, with minimal if any input from the residents. Conceivably you could have a helpful staff member provide you a list of names. When the ballots come in you help them out, provide inducements, and even fill out the ballots for them - all of which is usually illegal. Typically harvesting operations would be farmed out to consultants, giving the candidate's campaign legal cover. Consultants that specialize in harvesting can be expected to developed tried and tested methods for maximizing their harvesting.

There is of course much gray area here, which is precisely the problem - elections should not be run in the shadows where the behavior lacks sufficient oversight and where evidence of illegality is difficult to collect. (Would your grandma with mild dementia know her ballot was harvested? Would she be able to convincingly testify as much? Would a homeless drug addict even be possible to locate after the election?) The point is much the same as voter ID laws: elections need to be secure, not left up to the honor system. Predictably, Democrats fight such measures tooth and nail, because the harvesting ops have gotten quite sophisticated, and COVID was a godsend for them in getting mail-in voting greatly increased.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-28-2023 at 05:22 PM..

Old 02-25-2023, 06:12 PM

226 posts, read 129,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
Nice snark,
Muchas gracias.

Quote:
but that's not how elections are rigged. They do so via ballot harvesting, which is a bit complex so I'll explain it to you.

Harvesting first came to my awareness prior to the 2020 election, thanks to the efforts of Stacey Abrams in Georgia to effectively neuter protections against illegal harvesting (with the cooperation of spineless Georgia Republicans). She got them to set up completely unsupervised drop boxes for ballots. Well, once you do that, forget about having an honest election. I think they also threw out signature checking (which at any rate with hundreds of thousands of mail-in ballots would be an impractical - i.e., easily defeated - security measure.

Favored targets of harvesting operations are nursing homes and homeless shelters. You send someone in to "help people vote", i.e. request ballots for any and all residents. Some operatives might find it quicker to fill out the requests themselves, with minimal if any input from the residents. Conceivably you could have a helpful staff member provide you a list of names. When the ballots come in you help them out, provide inducements, and even fill out the ballots for them - all of which is usually illegal. Typically harvesting operations would be farmed out to consultants, giving the candidate's campaign legal cover. Consultants that specialize in harvesting can be expected to developed tried and tested methods for maximizing their harvesting.

There is of course much gray area here, which is precisely the problem - elections should not be run in the shadows where the behavior lacks sufficient oversight and where evidence of illegality is difficult to collect. (Would your grandma with mild dementia know her ballot was harvested? Would she be able to convincingly testify as much? Would a homeless drug addict even be possible to locate after the election?) The point is much the same as voter ID laws: elections need to be secure, not left up to the honor system. Predictably, Democrats fight such measures tooth and nail, because the harvesting ops have gotten quite sophisticated, and COVID was a godsend for them in getting mail-in voting greatly increased.
Dios mío, you wrote three long paragraphs that tl;dr to "evidence of illegality [for ballot harvesting] is difficult to collect." Well, of course it is. Can you prove that George Santos' brother, George Soros, didn't give me a dee-licious corned beef sandwich in exchange for voting early and often for Brandon? I guess if you can't prove it didn't happen, then it happened

Old 02-25-2023, 06:13 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Nice snark, but that's not how elections are rigged. They do so via ballot harvesting, which is a bit complex so I'll explain it to you.
Off topic maybe but I personally think that media shutouts from Facebook and Twitter were much more to blame than ballot harvesting and dead people voting.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renifer Erop View Post
Muchas gracias.

Dios mío, you wrote three long paragraphs that tl;dr to "evidence of illegality [for ballot harvesting] is difficult to collect." Well, of course it is. Can you prove that George Santos' brother, George Soros, didn't give me a dee-licious corned beef sandwich in exchange for voting early and often for Brandon? I guess if you can't prove it didn't happen, then it happened
If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Old 02-26-2023, 09:21 AM

226 posts, read 129,178 times
Quote:
If I throw a stick, will you leave?
People like you always amuse me. When I mock you, you know you're being mocked. Your BS detectors are fully functioning. I never met George Soros, and even if I did, he surely didn't offer me no free corned-beef sandwich to commit voter fraud.

But when my pillow guy or hizzoner or whoever says some nonsense about ballot harvesting or whatever, all of a sudden, your BS detectors shut down. Everything they say is true, even if they can't (or ESPECIALLY if they can't) prove anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island