Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 11:01 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Term limits are not what they're cracked up to be. NYC has them and look at what they've suffered through as mayor and city council since Bloomberg (who stole an illegal third term) since.

Only threat of being not reelected is what keeps politicians on straight and narrow. If they know won't have to face voters again in final term due to limits they are also free to do all sorts.

CA, NJ and some other states have term limited governors and or legislatures, it hasn't made an effing bit of difference. CA and NJ essentially have become one party states were democrats do whatever the eff they want.

Problem in NYS is people moan or run their mouths 364 days per year, then on one day they can make a difference by voting they've got better things to do.

NYS legislators have some of if not longest tenures in nation because low voter turn out all but assures same clowns are elected as governor, AG, comptroller and legislature over and over.
Right?! Everything is so easily fixed in the minds of the short sighted... just do <this>... so easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It is interesting to note more of Menendez's Democratic colleagues on the Senate have called him to resign than House Republicans calling for Santos to resign. FWIW, they both should resign, I talk about Santos more because Santos is my Congressman, Menendez is not my Senator.
Definitely... the GOP doesn't even care about issues... the entire party is based on "Dems bad", that's it... nothing else... they have completely zero clue how to fix anything or make anything better... they just get mouth breathers to share memes on social media about how bad Dems are... even with a majority they are useless... they can't legislate.. they just break everything... embarrassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 11:55 AM

8 posts, read 2,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Links? Please list those on both sides who called each to resign. Plenty of GOP have called on santos to resign.
Lalota, D’Esposito, Langworthy, Williams just to name a few are republicans who all called on Santos to resign. I’m sure Garbarino is unfavorable to Santos but I think he remains silent on the issue either because he’s on the House Ethics Committee who’s investigating him or that it’s something he doesn’t talk about but based on where he stands with his center-right political views I have a feeling he wants him out along with the ones I just mentioned. I know all 212 democrats want him out. 2/3 of the people present at voting need to vote yes. Hard to say if they’ll get to that quota. The house is speakerless so nothing can be done until one is appointed. Time will tell but let’s hope they work together and kick him out.

Old 10-14-2023, 06:20 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Right?! Everything is so easily fixed in the minds of the short sighted... just do <this>... so easy.l

Definitely... the GOP doesn't even care about issues... the entire party is based on "Dems bad", that's it... nothing else... they have completely zero clue how to fix anything or make anything better... they just get mouth breathers to share memes on social media about how bad Dems are... even with a majority they are useless... they can't legislate.. they just break everything... embarrassment.
LMFAO! Yeah and the Dems are just the pillars of good governance and never do anything just to spite the GOP because “GOP/Trump bad” funny coming from a guy with TDS. Get real mikeykid.

Last edited by peconic117; 10-14-2023 at 07:23 PM..

Old 10-14-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmacballbag View Post
Lalota, D’Esposito, Langworthy, Williams just to name a few are republicans who all called on Santos to resign. I’m sure Garbarino is unfavorable to Santos but I think he remains silent on the issue either because he’s on the House Ethics Committee who’s investigating him or that it’s something he doesn’t talk about but based on where he stands with his center-right political views I have a feeling he wants him out along with the ones I just mentioned. I know all 212 democrats want him out. 2/3 of the people present at voting need to vote yes. Hard to say if they’ll get to that quota. The house is speakerless so nothing can be done until one is appointed. Time will tell but let’s hope they work together and kick him out.
Won’t happen, again his vote is needed and without a conviction it’s highly unlikely it will even come to a vote. Same for Menendez.

Old 10-14-2023, 10:09 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Won’t happen, again his vote is needed and without a conviction it’s highly unlikely it will even come to a vote. Same for Menendez.
Whoever tried to win speaker's chair in House race cannot do so without 217 votes from GOP party. Thus every republican in that body counts because whoever is running cannot afford to lose more than four or five GOP votes. As such Santos for time being again isn't going anywhere. He will vote for Satan if told to do so.

People need to face the fact because it is a fact Santos is not going anywhere in near future if ever. It has been said many times already why; GOP majority in House is just too thin and they're behaving like a bunch of wet cats corralled in a barn yard.

What republicans in NYS need to be talking about and putting a laser beam focus upon is change of leadership in party machine and higher ups. That Santos was allowed on ballot with apparently so little vetting wants investigating.

Old 10-15-2023, 03:32 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
LMFAO! Yeah and the Dems are just the pillars of good governance and never do anything just to spite the GOP because “GOP/Trump bad” funny coming from a guy with TDS. Get real mikeykid.
I’ve heard of ‘Long Covid’ so it is quite likely there are a few folks battling ‘Long TDS’

Old 10-15-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Whoever tried to win speaker's chair in House race cannot do so without 217 votes from GOP party. Thus every republican in that body counts because whoever is running cannot afford to lose more than four or five GOP votes. As such Santos for time being again isn't going anywhere. He will vote for Satan if told to do so.

People need to face the fact because it is a fact Santos is not going anywhere in near future if ever. It has been said many times already why; GOP majority in House is just too thin and they're behaving like a bunch of wet cats corralled in a barn yard.

What republicans in NYS need to be talking about and putting a laser beam focus upon is change of leadership in party machine and higher ups. That Santos was allowed on ballot with apparently so little vetting wants investigating.
Yep, McCarthy’s biggest mistake was allowing the rule change for just a simple majority to oust a speaker. He made a deal with the devil to get power and it blew up in his face, now look at the mess they are in. It’s ridiculous.

Old 10-15-2023, 12:51 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Links? Please list those on both sides who called each to resign. Plenty of GOP have called on santos to resign.
https://news.yahoo.com/31-senate-dem...032307427.html

31 of the other 50 Democrats in the Senate (more than 60%) have called for Menendez to resign and note, this article is two weeks old, shortly after the indictment, I have seen a few more since. There certainly hasn't been anywhere near 60% of the Republicans in the House calling for Santos to resign. Hell I doubt there is even 31 despite having 170 more Republicans in the House than Democrats in the Senate.

Old 10-15-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:

31 of the other 50 Democrats in the Senate (more than 60%) have called for Menendez to resign and note, this article is two weeks old, shortly after the indictment, I have seen a few more since. There certainly hasn't been anywhere near 60% of the Republicans in the House calling for Santos to resign. Hell I doubt there is even 31 despite having 170 more Republicans in the House than Democrats in the Senate.
Ok that’s great. So where’s the vote on the senate floor to have him removed. Talk is cheap smash.

Old 10-16-2023, 12:48 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:

Many democrats not calling for Menendez to resign are working with principle everyone is entitled to their day in court. Just because a person is indicted and going to be tried that does not equal guilt. Menendez famously beat federal corruption charges before, so there's that to consider.

Santos OTOH is whole other ball of wax. He's in it up to his neck with one member of his team already pleading guilty and giving evidence.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/pr...his%20campaign.

Democrats including Charles Schumer forced Al Franken out of senate without even a hint of due process. Something the party and former senator Franken came to regret.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49074194
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island