Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 09:47 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,288,785 times

Advertisements

Although this is an interesting thread , it is not really about Long Island.
I hesitate to close it because there are many insightful posts and they are fun (for me anyway) to read.

However, please , if you disagree with someone's post , remember to criticize their ideas and not the writer himself . It is unnecessary to call people "fools" or to accuse them of "living in their Mom's basement" .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 10:13 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Although this is an interesting thread , it is not really about Long Island.
I hesitate to close it because there are many insightful posts and they are fun (for me anyway) to read.

However, please , if you disagree with someone's post , remember to criticize their ideas and not the writer himself . It is unnecessary to call people "fools" or to accuse them of "living in their Mom's basement" .
Agreed, water under the bridge MikeyKid. I guess we can just agree that we disagree lol

Old 10-10-2023, 05:38 PM

918 posts, read 564,818 times
From the WaPo:

Quote:
A superseding indictment made public Tuesday charges Rep. George Santos with stealing the identities of family members and using donors’ credit cards to spend thousands of dollars, intensifying the legal peril facing the freshman congressman five months after he was charged with a host of other financial crimes.

Santos, 35, faces 10 additional charges, according to the indictment: one count of conspiracy to commit offenses against the United States, two counts of wire fraud, two counts of making materially false statements to the Federal Election Commission, two counts of falsifying records submitted to obstruct the Federal Election Commission, two counts of aggravated identity theft, and one count of access device fraud.

The new charges were filed just days after Nancy Marks, the treasurer for the Santos campaign, pleaded guilty to fraud conspiracy and implicated Santos in a scheme to embellish his campaign finance reports with a fake loan and fake donors.

Santos, who is expected to appear in federal court on the additional charges on Oct. 27, told reporters at the U.S. Capitol Tuesday evening that he does not intend to resign his seat in Congress. He declined to comment further.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:16 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Very long short Santos is toast after 2024 elections one way or another and he knows it.

Either democrats in Albany prevail and district is changed to favor their party, or he's booted out by a primary challenger who goes onto general election in November.

Larger issue and problem is state and or local GOP leaders who once again got caught with their pants down by allowing Santos to slip through. It's no wonder republicans have hard time winning elections in this state when party machine keeps approving eejits like Santos for ballot.

Old 10-10-2023, 08:10 PM

He's got to go....

https://gothamist.com/news/rep-georg...-fraud-charges

Old 10-10-2023, 09:36 PM

8 posts, read 2,037 times
Well Suozzi declared today that he will be running in the race. I think he has a great chance of winning but may not pull it off. Only reason why I think is because he didn’t run in 2022 because he entered the governors race and lost in the Democratic primary to Kathy Hochul. If he ran against Santos in 2022 he would’ve easily defeated him. Santos’ victory is heavily attributed to Lee Zeldin’s race for governor and that they re-drew the district boundaries which made it easier for him to win. Suozzi not running may have an impact on his performance in the upcoming house seat race because in 2020 not much was known about Santos. I’m assuming Suozzi didn’t do deep research because he kinda knew he would win because at the time district 3 was very democratic and he has a strong legacy on Long Island. Not knowing much about Santos prior to being sworn in might have an impact on his campaign same would be if Zimmerman enters the race again.

I think in Democratic primary Suozzi has a strong shot at winning but I think Zak Malamad, Josh Lafazan and Anna Kaplan have strong chances too. But between the 4 they all seem like cut out candidates. I have my doubts that Santos will win his parties primary. I think it’ll be won by either Kellen Curry or Mike Sapricone both of which are also good fit candidates.

This race is filling up so fast there’s even candidates that aren’t democrats or republicans running in this race. There’s Ryan Kalata who’s running as a libertarian and Matt Nappo whos running as an independent. If these 2 get on the ticket and nobody primaries them or they win their primaries looks like they’ll be 4 candidates up on the debate stage next fall. Maybe more if the Green Party finds someone. I’ll give you links to their campaign sites:

Ryan Kalata: https://ryankalatany.wixsite.com/ryankalata

Matt Nappo: https://m.facebook.com/Matt4POTUS

Last edited by Kmacballbag; 10-10-2023 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: Fix links

Old 10-10-2023, 09:39 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Very long short Santos is toast after 2024 elections one way or another and he knows it.

Either democrats in Albany prevail and district is changed to favor their party, or he's booted out by a primary challenger who goes onto general election in November.

Larger issue and problem is state and or local GOP leaders who once again got caught with their pants down by allowing Santos to slip through. It's no wonder republicans have hard time winning elections in this state when party machine keeps approving eejits like Santos for ballot.
Yep he dosent have a prayer in the primary. But for now he isn’t going anywhere, he needs the payday and with the speed the legal system moves he can likely run out the clock until the election

Old 10-10-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yep he dosent have a prayer in the primary. But for now he isn’t going anywhere, he needs the payday and with the speed the legal system moves he can likely run out the clock until the election
Santos is likely counting on fact (thus far) large numbers of republicans nationwide are willing to overlook the sins of DT for 2024 WH race. If some of that goodwill goes his way Santos possibly could win GOP primary. Not bloody likely but the guy is entitled to his dreams.

That still doesn't answer all Santos prayers because as things stand if he's GOP nominee for that seat Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck would win more votes.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmacballbag View Post
Well Suozzi declared today that he will be running in the race. I think he has a great chance of winning but may not pull it off. Only reason why I think is because he didn’t run in 2022 because he entered the governors race and lost in the Democratic primary to Kathy Hochul. If he ran against Santos in 2022 he would’ve easily defeated him. Santos’ victory is heavily attributed to Lee Zeldin’s race for governor and that they re-drew the district boundaries which made it easier for him to win. Suozzi not running may have an impact on his performance in the upcoming house seat race because in 2020 not much was known about Santos. I’m assuming Suozzi didn’t do deep research because he kinda knew he would win because at the time district 3 was very democratic and he has a strong legacy on Long Island. Not knowing much about Santos prior to being sworn in might have an impact on his campaign same would be if Zimmerman enters the race again.

I think in Democratic primary Suozzi has a strong shot at winning but I think Zak Malamad, Josh Lafazan and Anna Kaplan have strong chances too. But between the 4 they all seem like cut out candidates. I have my doubts that Santos will win his parties primary. I think it’ll be won by either Kellen Curry or Mike Sapricone both of which are also good fit candidates.

This race is filling up so fast there’s even candidates that aren’t democrats or republicans running in this race. There’s Ryan Kalata who’s running as a libertarian and Matt Nappo whos running as an independent. If these 2 get on the ticket and nobody primaries them or they win their primaries looks like they’ll be 4 candidates up on the debate stage next fall. Maybe more if the Green Party finds someone. I’ll give you links to their campaign sites:

Ryan Kalata: https://ryankalatany.wixsite.com/ryankalata

Matt Nappo: https://m.facebook.com/Matt4POTUS
So Suozzi left a safe House seat to run for governor and when that didn't work out he's now looking to go back? Give me a break.

Get some new fresh blood if it's to be a democrat. Not some career politician looking for another safe paycheck.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:16 PM

8 posts, read 2,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
So Suozzi left a safe House seat to run for governor and when that didn't work out he's now looking to go back? Give me a break.

Get some new fresh blood if it's to be a democrat. Not some career politician looking for another safe paycheck.
I like Suozzi and everything but I do think we need someone who’s new instead of a multi-term career politician seeking to get back into an office that was sought to be safe. I would’ve definitely preferred Suozzi over Hochul or Zeldin as governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island