Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 07:28 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
It's lawn day in the middle of March?
Our lawn service comes every two weeks year round. The winter months is mostly about cleaning up the leaves. But here in the Texas gulf coast, we had 85 degrees yesterday and the grass is growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 11:20 AM

427 posts, read 155,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm listening to the sounds of mowers and leaf blowers right now as I'm WFH. It's lawn day for the people across the street. It doesn't bother me in the least. It's not terribly loud and we still have contractor grade windows. I expect it to be quieter when we upgrade to double/triple insulated windows. Anything further than the adjacent neighbors is faint so I hear it maybe 3 or 4 times per week. And it's not going to last for more than 30 minutes. In fact, in the time I typed this post they have moved to their backyard and I can barely hear it.

Yapping dogs are more disruptive than mowers and blowers. They can go on all day. Nevertheless, my WFH office is much quieter overall than the work office.
There's just a certain percentage of cranks that are bothered by everything. They're typically unsatisfied, frustrated, and/or neurotic, and controlling the actions of others makes them feel fulfilled.

If they just complain that blowers are annoying, everyone will ignore them. But if they manufacture a health/environmental issue as an excuse, suddenly people start taking them more seriously. The Karens that campaigned to ban indoor smoking (and then outdoor smoking, just because) used a similar playbook 20 years ago.

You can never win with these people, so the best thing to do is just ignore them and allow them to wallow in their impotence. If you make everyone upgrade to 4-stroke blowers, they'll fall back on the blowers kicking up dust into the air, as if we live around Chernobyl and the ground is covered with toxins. Or that it's bad for the employees, as if they care what happens when Pedro and his crew return to their illegal 10-to-a-room apartment after a hard day's work. And if you make them all use rakes, they'll complain that there is now a crew of 50 guys roaming around talking loudly.

Again, just ignore them.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:52 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
GAS-POWERED LEAF BLOWERS ARE HAZARDOUS!

EXTREME NOISE – their high-decibel, low-frequency noise disrupts communities and contributes to hearing loss and hypertension.

HEALTH RISKS – their toxic emissions and fine particulates increase risks of cancer, lung disease, heart disease, and dementia.

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS – their toxic waste and smog-forming emissions harm ecosystems and contribute to the climate crisis.
If leaf blowers are banned…who are you going to yell at to get off your lawn?

Old 03-24-2023, 09:12 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
If leaf blowers are banned…who are you going to yell at to get off your lawn?
The mailman?

Old 03-24-2023, 10:17 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
The mailman?
Definitely won’t be kids. They don’t play outside anymore.

Old 03-24-2023, 01:25 PM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,782,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
It's lawn day in the middle of March?

Spring clean-up

Old 03-24-2023, 03:44 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
I think the electric stuff is cool. Saw an electric school bus today. It was loud for some reason. Artificial sound pumped through speakers. Sounded like a giant spaceship. But LOUD. Me thinks that electric isn't going to quiet

Old 03-25-2023, 09:13 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Is this today's Long Island?

A fifty page thread on leaf blowers...

Old 03-25-2023, 11:49 AM

68 posts, read 25,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Is this today's Long Island?

A fifty page thread on leaf blowers...
Yes

Old 03-26-2023, 07:42 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I think the electric stuff is cool. Saw an electric school bus today. It was loud for some reason. Artificial sound pumped through speakers. Sounded like a giant spaceship. But LOUD. Me thinks that electric isn't going to quiet
Fed requirements. I have ev car, it makes a sound but only when going in reverse. Sounds like a very low versions of a jet rite before you barrel down the runway for takeoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: