Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 06:05 AM

3,516 posts, read 5,697,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Agree 1000% and unless I am mistaken Atlanta still has the Braves and it is still ok because calling someone a Brave is a word that depicts honor. How about the tomahawk chop that many teams still use? Time to stop being so caught up in PC'ness. We have bigger problems than worrying about the names. Talk about racing the level of anger in the country.
What insanity is next?

No more Pirates because some guys with AK47s who try to steal ships in the Indian Ocean may be upset?

If Thunderbird is offensive as stated in the article, will the USAF be forced to change the Demo Squad?

Surely then someone will be offended by the term Angel in Blue Angels and a reference to religion, so change that too?

Should we rename every town and street on LI that has a native name?
Lets rename Patchogue to Food Land
Lets rename Hauppauge to County Center
Lets rename Ronkonkoma to Queens East
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 06:41 AM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Hate to correct the master, but. That is not pc. You mean Asian, don’t you?
Nothing offensive about the word “Chinese”. Yet.

Old 04-14-2023, 07:18 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Congratulations because clearly based upon the OP you must be in the minority. I grew up in a home of roughly 50/50 Italian and Irish. I can tell you what we called each other when I grew up that would never make it today.
My English cousin named her dog Paddy because she said that he was stupid.

Old 04-14-2023, 01:38 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,916 times
Hicksville

Offensive to ..... everyone who lives there

Old 04-14-2023, 02:54 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Should we rename every town and street on LI that has a native name?
Lets rename Patchogue to Food Land
Lets rename Hauppauge to County Center
Lets rename Ronkonkoma to Queens East
Sorry....

Food Land discriminates against people without enough to eat or are on a hunger strike and renters that do not own land.

County Center discriminates against people who live east, west, north or south and aren't in the center.

Queens east? I'll only cover the last word (your on your own for the first), discrimination against people who live north, south, west or in the center.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:46 PM

855 posts, read 450,499 times
Did I miss where a bunch of Native Americans got in an uproar about all this?

Or is it again a bunch of idiot lefties getting offended on behalf of another group?

I have Native American blood. The mascots are actually pay homage to the history and a compliment.

Notice no one has mascots honoring 300 lb, green haired transvestites.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:34 AM

3,516 posts, read 5,697,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Did I miss where a bunch of Native Americans got in an uproar about all this?

Or is it again a bunch of idiot lefties getting offended on behalf of another group?

I have Native American blood. The mascots are actually pay homage to the history and a compliment.

Notice no one has mascots honoring 300 lb, green haired transvestites.
Supposedly at least 1 Shinnecock is in favor of it... at least they keep interviewing the same person....

Old 04-16-2023, 08:07 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
I was discussing this with my husband the other day and he wants to know what Native Americans are offended by this. He believes it's honoring Native Americans and I agree.

Old 04-16-2023, 08:31 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Don't forget St. Joh's "Redmen." They were the first to cave back in 1994. I was on the soccer team a couples of years prior. Awful name change to "Red storm."
I can see moving away from something that describes skin color (Redmen, Redskins). You can even talk me into "Indians" not being appropriate.

But just having the name of a tribe or something else that's generic (Chiefs, Warriors, Blackhawks) seems ok.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:08 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I was discussing this with my husband the other day and he wants to know what Native Americans are offended by this. He believes it's honoring Native Americans and I agree.
I don’t think rational discourse is part of this manufactured issue once a couple of progressive libs are on the warpath about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island