Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:44 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Glen Cove?? Really?
Ok, I'm sorry about that, Glen Cove is actually two "communities". The section that is along Forest ave and north is quite nice. But the downtown area, School street, Glen Cove ave, is bad. Lots of illegals. And evidence of the gang activity is all over the area.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/Btraindash/glencove18oblocksetag.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-24-2008, 12:51 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Its why I didn't list Coram. Most of Coram proper is pretty nice actually, it's the Gordon Heights section that is abit seedy. As far as Patchogue goes, I've been in the downtown, and I compare it quite a bit to Westbury. Sure new buildings are going up, the streets and buildings are getting facelifts, but the illegals are still there milling about. It's like taking a rusty old car and just putting a new paint job on it, instead of replacing the engine and parts.
And part of East Patchogue, that is south of the LIRR tracks is beautiful. I think the area is called South Country. My uncle used to live there.
If folks are upset that their community is going downhill, dont shoot the messenger, instead make some noise at board meetings, elect politicians that will get rid of the illegals, gangs, or whatever else is turning people off from your community.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:54 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,949 times
John, what politician is going to be vocal about his/her personal beliefs about illegals? Gangs, yes, but illegals? Politicians pander. And the PC thing right now is protecting illegals' rights by building them hiring centers.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:33 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Gordon Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Most of Coram proper is pretty nice actually, it's the Gordon Heights section that is abit seedy.

The Hamlet of Gordon Heights is not part of the Hamlet of Coram, and neither is it part of the Hamlet of Middle Island and nor is it part of the Hamlet of Medford.

For those who may not be familiar with Gordon Heights:

Gordon Heights is a hamlet (an unincorporated community) in the central part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Gordon Heights in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Coram and the Hamlet of Middle Island; on the east by the Hamlet of Middle Island; on the south by the Hamlet of Yaphank and the Hamlet of Medford; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Coram.

Gordon Heights is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Gordon Heights have a "Coram, NY 11727" and "Middle Island, NY 11953" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 06-24-2008, 01:35 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Its why I didn't list Coram. Most of Coram proper is pretty nice actually, it's the Gordon Heights section that is abit seedy. As far as Patchogue goes, I've been in the downtown, and I compare it quite a bit to Westbury. Sure new buildings are going up, the streets and buildings are getting facelifts, but the illegals are still there milling about. It's like taking a rusty old car and just putting a new paint job on it, instead of replacing the engine and parts.
And part of East Patchogue, that is south of the LIRR tracks is beautiful. I think the area is called South Country. My uncle used to live there.
If folks are upset that their community is going downhill, dont shoot the messenger, instead make some noise at board meetings, elect politicians that will get rid of the illegals, gangs, or whatever else is turning people off from your community.
(In bold) That is exactly what they are doing and have done in Patchogue. I am in the main street area plenty and though there are "illegals" (I think, they do not carry their passports on a neck chain) I never feel unsafe, as I am usually also alongside plenty of restaurant goers (more of a yuppy "gang")...And how does giving a community new buildings and facelifts signal urban decay? Wouldn't that be the opposite? You have to realize that painting broad brush strokes about communities, when you are not a resident, is very arrogant, and often inaccurate. I am not trying to be overly "PC", there are plenty of dumpy towns we can discuss but to be cavalier about an entire community because you spent a few instances on their main street can be a very uneducated view...

Old 06-24-2008, 02:30 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default I always thought Gordon Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The best way to sump up Long Island as a whole is that there are no bad towns just certain sections or a few streets in each town that might not be as desirable as the rest of that specific town.Ex.Patchogue as a whole is nice but East Patchogue north of Montauk Hwy and certain parts of River Ave aren't as nice as the rest.I live in Coram (by Wedgewood) which is very nice unless you've never actually driven through, but the sections by Homestead Dr. are a little shady but still many nice people live there. The reputations for certain towns stand out from past history especially. Most people think that Gordon Heights encompasses the whole town of Coram when in fact it's only about 5-10% of the area and the rest is part of Middle Island,and Medford. Even in a town like Shirley that gets torn up on these posts frequently has nice family neighborhoods but if a person who lives there starts dealing that can create a bad block with suspicious traffic but in general we shouldn't bash any towns because we all have our opinions and favorites and essential elements we need from a town whether it has it or not.
was Middle Island or maybe even Ridge since it is south of 25.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:05 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The best way to sump up Long Island as a whole is that there are no bad towns just certain sections or a few streets in each town that might not be as desirable as the rest of that specific town.Ex.Patchogue as a whole is nice but East Patchogue north of Montauk Hwy and certain parts of River Ave aren't as nice as the rest.I live in Coram (by Wedgewood) which is very nice unless you've never actually driven through, but the sections by Homestead Dr. are a little shady but still many nice people live there. The reputations for certain towns stand out from past history especially. Most people think that Gordon Heights encompasses the whole town of Coram when in fact it's only about 5-10% of the area and the rest is part of Middle Island,and Medford. Even in a town like Shirley that gets torn up on these posts frequently has nice family neighborhoods but if a person who lives there starts dealing that can create a bad block with suspicious traffic but in general we shouldn't bash any towns because we all have our opinions and favorites and essential elements we need from a town whether it has it or not.
Medford isn't all that nice either...

Old 06-24-2008, 04:25 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,664 times
I've seen quite an improvement in downtown Patchogue over the past 10 years. There are many new restaurants, a playhouse and more. It is becoming a nice place to "hang around". Just because it has a large minority population doesn't mean they are illegal.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:26 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I like Patchogue but there is alot of rental house in town that look nice on the outside but not so nice on the inside. Overall, Patchogue is doing a great job re-inventing itself.
This is one of the main hurdles many struggling communities on Long Island face. Some landlords can own 30 or more homes in these locations, and if they have the fortitude for the management are making alot of money.

And some due respect to them, many bought homes when no one else would touch them and manage a difficult tenant population no one else wants to manage. And it's alot of hard work and risk.

These landlords can have low morality and compassion (either naturally or aquired as a by product of the life) combined with a fearsome work ethic and are very business savvy.

Communities can often be faced with letting them be or making it very worth their while to go away....rock and a hard place.

Local governments sometimes try to pass laws to make life more difficult for them, which can be overturned by higher courts that do not want the displaced tenant population left over if the landlords get out of the business.

Just as the children of the Texas polygamy compound where retured to their parents, not so much because it was the right thing to do as Texas probablly reeled when they got the monthly bill for housing and counseling them.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:32 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Medford isn't all that nice either...

actually old medford (south of the LIE) is still nice where as the Eagle estates section has been the run down part of the town for years and the gordon heights section starting by Granny Rd (east of Rt 112).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island