Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:27 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
To dramatically say it is plagued by gangs, illegals and urban decay is a slight exaggeration...I know plenty of young families who live there. That is really an inaccurate picture, even if things stayed as they are at present. It is not perfect, but it is not Compton...c'mon...
Prof,
?????????????????? Strange response......where did I say any of that?

Old 06-24-2008, 06:28 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
This is one of the main hurdles many struggling communities on Long Island face. Some landlords can own 30 or more homes in these locations, and if they have the fortitude for the management are making alot of money.

And some due respect to them, many bought homes when no one else would touch them and manage a difficult tenant population no one else wants to manage. And it's alot of hard work and risk.

These landlords can have low morality and compassion (either naturally or aquired as a by product of the life) combined with a fearsome work ethic and are very business savvy.

Communities can often be faced with letting them be or making it very worth their while to go away....rock and a hard place.

Local governments sometimes try to pass laws to make life more difficult for them, which can be overturned by higher courts that do not want the displaced tenant population left over if the landlords get out of the business.

Just as the children of the Texas polygamy compound where retured to their parents, not so much because it was the right thing to do as Texas probablly reeled when they got the monthly bill for housing and counseling them.
good points

Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
New Cassel is safe, right?

06/24/08) NEW CASSEL - Authorities responding to a 911 call found a woman dead on the second floor of an abandoned New Cassel home.
Police made the grisly discovery around 1:15 p.m. Tuesday. The woman's body was found under a pile of debris.

A man was taken away in a squad car as News 12 Long Island arrived at the scene, but he was not in handcuffs.

Police are only saying that they are investigating the death as a homicide and are trying to make an accurate identification of the body.

According to neighbors, the house has been vacant for three years and has a history of trouble surrounding it.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:23 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Default You did not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Prof,
?????????????????? Strange response......where did I say any of that?
Sorry KB, mis-attributed on the quote. They were some of JohnWestbury's comments. My reply captured your post. Apologies for the confusion...I disagreed with the portrait of Patchogue as a rotting pit of urban decay..laughable in my opinion.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
(In bold) That is exactly what they are doing and have done in Patchogue. I am in the main street area plenty and though there are "illegals" (I think, they do not carry their passports on a neck chain) I never feel unsafe, as I am usually also alongside plenty of restaurant goers (more of a yuppy "gang")...And how does giving a community new buildings and facelifts signal urban decay? Wouldn't that be the opposite? You have to realize that painting broad brush strokes about communities, when you are not a resident, is very arrogant, and often inaccurate. I am not trying to be overly "PC", there are plenty of dumpy towns we can discuss but to be cavalier about an entire community because you spent a few instances on their main street can be a very uneducated view...
I worked for Mayor Pontieri years ago, before his political aspirations kicked in. He was a regular Joe who got things done back then, it it appears that he is still very much the same man; older and wiser but still ready to roll up his sleeves and get to work. If anyone can help Patchogue in this revitalization period, it's him.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:27 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
This is one of the main hurdles many struggling communities on Long Island face. Some landlords can own 30 or more homes in these locations, and if they have the fortitude for the management are making alot of money.

And some due respect to them, many bought homes when no one else would touch them and manage a difficult tenant population no one else wants to manage. And it's alot of hard work and risk.

These landlords can have low morality and compassion (either naturally or aquired as a by product of the life) combined with a fearsome work ethic and are very business savvy.

Communities can often be faced with letting them be or making it very worth their while to go away....rock and a hard place.

Local governments sometimes try to pass laws to make life more difficult for them, which can be overturned by higher courts that do not want the displaced tenant population left over if the landlords get out of the business.

Just as the children of the Texas polygamy compound where retured to their parents, not so much because it was the right thing to do as Texas probablly reeled when they got the monthly bill for housing and counseling them.
Very balanced assessment. It is a rock and a hard place. In the end it is about a community caring enough to commit to the type of neighborhood they want, but in fairness to your points it should not mean squashing the rental owners who stepped in during sometimes trying times. Well put.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
New Cassel is safe, right?

06/24/08) NEW CASSEL - Authorities responding to a 911 call found a woman dead on the second floor of an abandoned New Cassel home.
Police made the grisly discovery around 1:15 p.m. Tuesday. The woman's body was found under a pile of debris.

A man was taken away in a squad car as News 12 Long Island arrived at the scene, but he was not in handcuffs.

Police are only saying that they are investigating the death as a homicide and are trying to make an accurate identification of the body.

According to neighbors, the house has been vacant for three years and has a history of trouble surrounding it.
We can say the same thing about Seaford, seeing as an young girl died in someone's converted garage there this weekend. But we don't; after all, the homeowner is Asian and the decedent Italian. If they were African-American -- or better still Latino -- hooo boy would Seaford be slammed!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We can say the same thing about Seaford, seeing as an young girl died in someone's converted garage there this weekend. But we don't; after all, the homeowner is Asian and the decedent Italian. If they were African-American -- or better still Latino -- hooo boy would Seaford be slammed!
The problem is things like this occur frequently in New Cassel. In the past year there has been several gang attacks, rapes, and we of course cannot forget the senseless deaths of children that happened a few months ago. When I ride the bus through there I always see police activity. At least the NCPD is doing more in the area I guess.
But it's always been a ghetto, this is nothing new, and I dont think the new buildings going up are going to change a thing. As long as slumlords are allowed to own so many illegal rentals the community will continue to suffer. If slumlords were owning illegal rentals in places like Manhasset, they'd be on it right away. Same goes for a vacant house with squatters. But because it's New Cassel, North Hempstead Town doesn't get involved, since they have no desire to try and fix ghettos.
No place can be completely safe from crime, but New Cassel has a too frequent occurance of it.
As long as the area is dumped on by slumlords, section 8, welfare motels, it will remain a ghetto.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
The problem is things like this occur frequently in New Cassel. In the past year there has been several gang attacks, rapes, and we of course cannot forget the senseless deaths of children that happened a few months ago. When I ride the bus through there I always see police activity. At least the NCPD is doing more in the area I guess.
But it's always been a ghetto, this is nothing new, and I dont think the new buildings going up are going to change a thing. As long as slumlords are allowed to own so many illegal rentals the community will continue to suffer. If slumlords were owning illegal rentals in places like Manhasset, they'd be on it right away. Same goes for a vacant house with squatters. But because it's New Cassel, North Hempstead Town doesn't get involved, since they have no desire to try and fix ghettos.
No place can be completely safe from crime, but New Cassel has a too frequent occurance of it.
As long as the area is dumped on by slumlords, section 8, welfare motels, it will remain a ghetto.

If you have proof of this "occur frequently" please to post/link. None of that "we all know" stuff either. As just pointed out bad thing do and can happen any where.

Do you really believe that sick mother killing her kids had anything to do with where she lived. She,sadly, is not the 1st mother to have done something like that.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:57 AM

222 posts, read 892,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island