Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:49 PM

45 posts, read 134,313 times

Advertisements

Yeah, that Hendrickson/Fletcher area is nicer than South VS, imo.

Well, where do you live Jeep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 06:42 AM

208 posts, read 913,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
I think you are referring to Millbrook.
Millbrook is the same as the Green Acres section. I believe they changed the name so they wouldn't have any negative associations with the mall.

Tom, when I went to school in VS, yes, it was an upscale pretty much all Jewish area. Now, it seems the demos are completely different, if you check out the demos of Forest Road School, you will see how it has changed big time.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:01 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
Millbrook is the same as the Green Acres section. I believe they changed the name so they wouldn't have any negative associations with the mall.

Tom, when I went to school in VS, yes, it was an upscale pretty much all Jewish area. Now, it seems the demos are completely different, if you check out the demos of Forest Road School, you will see how it has changed big time.
Wow. I didn't expect that area to change. Hope all is well with you.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:55 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Are you talking about the Green Acres section that is south of the mall? I remember this as being an upscale predominantly Jewish area. Has that changed?

I grew up in Elmont and used to shop at Green Acres. Now, I would never ever go there. It is a scary place. If you don't believe me, take a ride over there. I have never been around an area that makes me more nervous. Just don't go at night. Almost all of the Crime in VS happens in this area. I made the mistake of going to Green Acres movie theatre 6 years ago and they have metal detectors and security gaurds that frisk you. I have seen gang grafitti around there and know people that moved out. As for being upscale and Jewish...definately not. It is run down and feels like some bad area in Queens (part of it is in Queens too).

The rest of Valley Stream is fine. A nice diverse, family area with nice homes.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 PM

A lot of knuckleheads--primarily from Queens hang out at the Mall on weekends.

Millbrook is run down? That's news to me. I cycle around that area all the time. The homes are extremely well kept, the streets are super clean and you can hear a pin drop there at any given time; it doesn't appear any different than when the residents were predominantly Jewish. That may be the most tranquil section of VS.

The demographic may have changed. It's probably approx half white,half black/asian/etc, but I fail to see how that constitutes being "run down."

Can anyone substantiate this with relevant info such as crime stats, or maybe property value fluctuations?

The trend of stigmatizing neighborhoods soley on ethnicity as opposed to quality of life indicators is disturbing. Yes, neighborhoods like Roosevelt took an extreme turn for the worst when lower income, inner city Blacks moved in, and Whites moved out, but I feel that there are alot of diverse neighborhoods on the island that are getting a bad rap.

Yes, Baldwin may be slightly dicey where it's close to the Hempstead border, but the notion that Baldwin is bad or being run down is absurd.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:42 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann View Post
A lot of knuckleheads--primarily from Queens hang out at the Mall on weekends.

Millbrook is run down? That's news to me. I cycle around that area all the time. The homes are extremely well kept, the streets are super clean and you can hear a pin drop there at any given time; it doesn't appear any different than when the residents were predominantly Jewish. That may be the most tranquil section of VS.

The demographic may have changed. It's probably approx half white,half black/asian/etc, but I fail to see how that constitutes being "run down."

Can anyone substantiate this with relevant info such as crime stats, or maybe property value fluctuations?

The trend of stigmatizing neighborhoods soley on ethnicity as opposed to quality of life indicators is disturbing. Yes, neighborhoods like Roosevelt took an extreme turn for the worst when lower income, inner city Blacks moved in, and Whites moved out, but I feel that there are alot of diverse neighborhoods on the island that are getting a bad rap.

Yes, Baldwin may be slightly dicey where it's close to the Hempstead border, but the notion that Baldwin is bad or being run down is absurd.
Sean, we've had this discussion about Valley Stream on here numerous times. It's just as confusing to me as it is confusing to you. I'm at a complete loss trying to figure out what is so terrifying about a shopping mall, or the extremely nice Mill Brook/South Valley Stream neighborhood nearby. Some of the comments are always pretty suspect, though. I mean, who really thinks that part of Valley Stream is in Queens? Not as if the sections of Rosedale that border GA are so terrible either...who knows. I agree, disturbing...

Here's the quickest crime stats I could find. This is all of the Fifth Precinct and not only Valley Stream, it's very hard to get crime data broken down by locale. Major crimes YTD, 2008 vs. 2007:

Old 08-17-2008, 05:48 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,871 times
I went to elementary school in Valley Stream and have never heard of Millbrook?? Are we speaking about the same area? Perhaps we are misunderstanding each other.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:56 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I went to elementary school in Valley Stream and have never heard of Millbrook?? Are we speaking about the same area? Perhaps we are misunderstanding each other.
Directly south of Green Acres Mall. There are big signs that say "Mill Brook" all over the place.

Mill Brook Civic Association

Old 08-17-2008, 07:25 PM

222 posts, read 892,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
Take central avenue south crossing over sunrise hwy, and after the GA entrance veer to your right and you will be entering Millbrook.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Sean, we've had this discussion about Valley Stream on here numerous times. It's just as confusing to me as it is confusing to you. I'm at a complete loss trying to figure out what is so terrifying about a shopping mall, or the extremely nice Mill Brook/South Valley Stream neighborhood nearby. Some of the comments are always pretty suspect, though. I mean, who really thinks that part of Valley Stream is in Queens? Not as if the sections of Rosedale that border GA are so terrible either...who knows. I agree, disturbing...

Here's the quickest crime stats I could find. This is all of the Fifth Precinct and not only Valley Stream, it's very hard to get crime data broken down by locale. Major crimes YTD, 2008 vs. 2007:

Those stats don't appear to be disproportionate to the rest of Nassau. I don't think Mill Brook has eroded even 5 percent from what it was in the early-mid 90's. Stuff happens at GA from time to time, Roosevelt Field is a safer mall, but its all relative. Your comparing it to a mall where nothing ever happens. The gross exaggerations are that you'll step on an IED walking through GA. I see many Whites, Asians, etc, who shop at the mall, & even the "snobier" Five Towns folks shop there-- as well as the adjacent Walmart and Best Buy. When I worked in Woodmere, the girls I worked with were primarily from Hewlett and Woodmere and they'd make trips to the mall all the time.

Many folks just don't want the minorities in their neighborhoods & god forbids a crime ever happens once they're there. "The neighborhood has gone to shyt, we've gotta get the hell out." It's like a prophecy they desperately want to be fullfilled.

Yeah, I guess areas like Rosedale & Laurelton are out of the question. Though I do notice an increase in Whites getting off at the Rosedale and Laurelton stops when I'm on the LB/FR train.

They really aren't bad areas. Crime is of course higher than it is in Nassau, but it is New York City. That doesn't make it uninhabitable or Brownsville Brooklyn either. You can live there without ever having an incident, but to each his own. If you can afford the higher mortgage in the pricier neighborhoods, go for it! But if you're ceiling is 400K, I just don't see how you can ignore these neighborhoods.

I was trying to find views on Mill Brook on youtube & this is what i came accross:

YouTube - BFP Valley Stream: 11580

Check out the comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island