Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 05:51 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I have one in my small townhouse. It was here when I got here . Now , they aren't allowed, but this was grandfathered in. I hardly ever use it. Once , when I did, I began to feel very lightheaded and dizzy and was suddenly worried about being overcome with fumes from carbon monoxide so I put the fire out and never used itthe stove again. Does anyone know if that is possible even.
Sure it is.......good thinking. Have it inspected and the flue clean by a chimney sweep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 09:13 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Thanks, Kid . I am looking for one right now.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-03-2008, 11:49 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
If your in the Smithtown area, try Chimney Chief. Expensive but honest and knows his stuff.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:40 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
no. I live in Babylon Village , but thanks. kid .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-05-2008, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,741 times
Thumbs up Hudson ny dealer

Fins up! I take it you're a PH from your " tryin to reason...." I too am looking for a cheaper dealer as it looks like I can save $500 + by going upstate and I wonder if it's the same dealer. Let me know. I live in East Northport. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Agree with a pellet stove over a wood stove. Pellet fuel is much more efficient and clean burning (less ash and soot). Its also more convenient (40 lb bags that you can store indoors!!)

I bought a pellet stove this year...and will be picking it up int he few weeks. If you are interested...I can give you the guys info (I paid about $900 less than LI dealers in general...but will have to pick it up in Hudson NY (near Albany).

What I have learned thus far...if you buy your stove locally you will want to look for a company that is certified to install them. Your homeowners ins will probably need to see a copy of their permit.

Also...with respect to pellets, they have gone up a bit from spring. You can find them for $350-400 a ton. A typical house needs 3-4 ton a year.

What I have heard (purely hear-say) is that Lowes and HD sell cheap Chinese import stoves...and its better in the long run to buy USA!! Ok actually I admit mine was made in Canada...but you get the hint.

Let me know if you have any other questions. And check out hearth.com (pellet and corn section in the FORUMS) Tons of info there.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:40 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
After a fair amount of research we ended up buying the "Summers Heat" stove from Lowes. We determined that its the exact unit sold at Agway and almost 20 other major retail chains(many in areas where people rely solely on pellet stoves for heat) plus smaller stores nationwide. Its made in the USA, not china and it rates pretty well in efficiency & output. I would have loved to get a stove from the dealer Alexei27 used, but my DH just wanted to get it here & installed before the harsh weather.
Its not as aesthetically pleasing as some of the other models but the price can't be beat & we didn't need a lot of bells & whistles. My DH & I installed it & last night was our first time using it. On the lowest setting it held our house at a steady 67 degrees overnight.
According to my calculations and information I've gotten from people that use the exact unit I have, it will take about 3.5 tons of pellets to heat my large house almost exclusively this season. That will cost me $950 in pellets. Last year I spent over $2600 on oil from October to March, I know I can't get oil for that same price this year. I'm hoping to fill up my tank in a couple of weeks and have that last until February or March, based on COD prices I've been getting that will cost about $575. We paid $1540 for the stove and vent kit so while we won't see any actual savings this year, next season we'll be ahead by a mile.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:23 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
After a fair amount of research we ended up buying the "Summers Heat" stove from Lowes. We determined that its the exact unit sold at Agway and almost 20 other major retail chains(many in areas where people rely solely on pellet stoves for heat) plus smaller stores nationwide. Its made in the USA, not china and it rates pretty well in efficiency & output. I would have loved to get a stove from the dealer Alexei27 used, but my DH just wanted to get it here & installed before the harsh weather.
Its not as aesthetically pleasing as some of the other models but the price can't be beat & we didn't need a lot of bells & whistles. My DH & I installed it & last night was our first time using it. On the lowest setting it held our house at a steady 67 degrees overnight.
According to my calculations and information I've gotten from people that use the exact unit I have, it will take about 3.5 tons of pellets to heat my large house almost exclusively this season. That will cost me $950 in pellets. Last year I spent over $2600 on oil from October to March, I know I can't get oil for that same price this year. I'm hoping to fill up my tank in a couple of weeks and have that last until February or March, based on COD prices I've been getting that will cost about $575. We paid $1540 for the stove and vent kit so while we won't see any actual savings this year, next season we'll be ahead by a mile.
Yeah the only issue with the dealer I used is that they deliver in upstate NY. I go see my mom in Albany...so its easy...but a real pain if you don't already travel that way. I think Summer Heat is made by Englander...good ol' USA company. Now If I can just get solar hot water panels installed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island