Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:51 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I am a product of Catholic school. I began in public elementary school and switched into catholic school in 3rd grade. In my experience, the Catholic school education that I received was far superior to the public school education. There was an adjustment period. The level of work and amount of work was higher in the catholic school. In publice school, a mediocre assignment would get an A. In Catholic school, I had to strive for an A. My Catholic school high school education definately put me ahead of my public school friends in college. They were stressing and I found college to be easier than high school. I went to Sacred Heart academy for high school.

If you can afford it, it would be a great investment.

As for non-Catholics in Catholic school: I never saw a problem. At sacred heart we had a few Lutherans, episcopaliens, and methodists. We also has 2 Muslim girls and 1 Jewish girl in early 2000. They were not treated any differently at all. the only difference is that they would not receive communion at mass.
After reading this, it makes me wish I had gone to a Catholic high school. I can honestly say that my high school was not very good. I only went there because there were no private schools in the county I went to school in. As a recent convert to the Catholic faith (I became Catholic 3 years ago), I sometimes wonder what my life would have been like if I did go to a Catholic school. You had a point in the fact that you did have to strive for an A. That is one thing Catholic schools have. You work harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
If you send him to Catholic grammar school what are you going to do in 2nd grade when all the other kids are preparing for First Reconciliation and First Communion? THis is a HUGE deal in 2nd grade, the year pretty much focuses on it. What about Confirmation in 8th grade? It's the same deal. What about days when there are class masses...do you want him left behind in the classroom while everyone else goes to the mass? If he goes, he will have to sit out Communion, which would be potentially awkward I would think?

What about stewardship? Catholic schools expect the families that attend their schools to support the mission of the Catholic church, including taking part in charitable activities thru the school. And fundraising...you have to do that too.

I know people who send their kids to Catholic school that aren't Catholic and feel awkward about it, even though their kids are being raised Catholic. Catholic education isn't just showing up and getting better schooling, it's being fully immersed in the faith. And no, I didn't attend Catholic school and my kids don't either (except for preschool). How are you going to explain to your son that Catholic school is great, but the religion, not for you?

I agree with nancy about the teacher qualifications too - for a Catholic school only basic educational requirement of teacher certification must be met. For public school teachers must have a master's and pursue continuing education. And no, I don't buy that public school kids are less prepared for Catholic HS. My sister taught in a Catholic school until this year and she cannot believe how much more the public school offers. UNless I was really looking for a faith based education OR lived in a truly ccrappy school district I wouldn't consider Catholic school.

FInally you can't compare test scores of private and public schools - private schools take (and keep) who they want. Public school has to take everyone including special ed.

Last edited by twingles; 04-24-2009 at 02:49 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 03:43 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
A non catholic in a catholic school???????????????????? You will burn in hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Old 04-24-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
A non catholic in a catholic school???????????????????? You will burn in hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Now that isn't funny.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:50 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Its a joke. Lighten up

Old 04-24-2009, 05:14 PM

60 posts, read 58,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you send him to Catholic grammar school what are you going to do in 2nd grade when all the other kids are preparing for First Reconciliation and First Communion? THis is a HUGE deal in 2nd grade, the year pretty much focuses on it. What about Confirmation in 8th grade? It's the same deal. What about days when there are class masses...do you want him left behind in the classroom while everyone else goes to the mass? If he goes, he will have to sit out Communion, which would be potentially awkward I would think?

What about stewardship? Catholic schools expect the families that attend their schools to support the mission of the Catholic church, including taking part in charitable activities thru the school. And fundraising...you have to do that too.

I know people who send their kids to Catholic school that aren't Catholic and feel awkward about it, even though their kids are being raised Catholic. Catholic education isn't just showing up and getting better schooling, it's being fully immersed in the faith. And no, I didn't attend Catholic school and my kids don't either (except for preschool). How are you going to explain to your son that Catholic school is great, but the religion, not for you?

I agree with nancy about the teacher qualifications too - for a Catholic school only basic educational requirement of teacher certification must be met. For public school teachers must have a master's and pursue continuing education. And no, I don't buy that public school kids are less prepared for Catholic HS. My sister taught in a Catholic school until this year and she cannot believe how much more the public school offers. UNless I was really looking for a faith based education OR lived in a truly ccrappy school district I wouldn't consider Catholic school.

FInally you can't compare test scores of private and public schools - private schools take (and keep) who they want. Public school has to take everyone including special ed.
Wow twingles, you really have your facts confused. Where do I begin???

First, when kids are being prepared for reconciliation, the non-catholic kids are taught various subjects in the library or another classroom. They are not simply left behind to stare at the wall. It is also not the focus, the focus is on the basic education. Communion is only taught during the religion class time.

The child will not be left behind during masses either. The child will attend mass and not receive communion. This is not awkward in 2009 nor will the child stand out. Maybe in 1950 it was awkward but not anymore.

As for stewardship and fundraising, that is not required nor pushed upon anyone. Parents are only encouraged to participate in school activities, not Catholic activies. Fundraising? Only if the kids are selling candy bars are you encouraged, but never forced to help them. If the kid doesn't sell anything it's not a big deal - I never sold a thing!

Catholic school is not being fully immersed in the faith - another fallacy in your post which is filled with falsehoods. There's a religion class which teaches doing the right thing, being kind to your neighbor, and some history specifically related to catholicism.

I agree with you that catholic school teacher's qualifications are nowhere near as good as public school. However, I would contend that parents who spend the extra money to send their kids to catholic school care about education a little more, on average, than parents who send their kids to public schools. Of course many parents who send their kids to public school are very involved and car more than many parents who send their kids to catholic schools. But on average I'd say the parent involvement is higher with catholic school kids. This means the children pay more attention, have more expected of them, and tend to be better behaved. I agree that tests score are not comparable, but catholic school does offer smaller classes and more attention. Public school offers a lot more services. However if you want your child to focus on math and english, chances are the child will thrive better in a catholic school. If you want your child exposed to as much as possible, public school is probably the better option.

I hope this clears up your obvious confusion.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:06 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,381 times
My children went to a Catholic elementary school in the early 80s, Our Lady of Lourdes in Massapequa. We're Lutheran. Things may be different nowadays, but at the time I think my children felt out of place to some extent. After all, they weren't making their First Holy Communion with the others, and on and on. Although I think it made it more difficult for them to make friends, my daughter did find her two best childhood friends there. She still keeps in touch with them now, 20 years later.

They also often asked me about the slightly conflicting beliefs of the two religions, because at the same time as they were learning about Catholic beliefs and customs they were also attending Lutheran Sunday School and confirmation class in the last year or so.

On the other hand we transfered them to public school for high school and they were WAY ahead of their peers when they entered it in 9th grade. Obviously, they got a much better education in Catholic school. The discipline was also heads above the public school system's. I say this as a wife of a very dedicated public school teacher, so you know I must be telling the truth.

Since you say you and your husband are not religious, and if doing this is very important to you, would you consider converting to Catholicism as a possible solution? Perhaps my comments don't hold true in current times. But, that was our personal experience with doing what you are considering for your children. By the way, they survived Catholic school just fine in the long run, are sane and healthy now, and they're all still Lutheran. :-) Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:28 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
One thing I must say here, many of the teachers in Catholic schools are NOT certified teachers. They don't have to be certified by the state because a Catholic school is not public and, therefore, they can circumvent a lot of the laws and rules that public schools must abide by.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
One thing I must say here, many of the teachers in Catholic schools are NOT certified teachers. They don't have to be certified by the state because a Catholic school is not public and, therefore, they can circumvent a lot of the laws and rules that public schools must abide by.
Speaking of teachers, I have a friend who went to a Catholic school in the 1950's. She told me that nuns were the teachers and that nuns didn't take any salary.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:38 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
When nuns were teaching in the Catholic schools, the level of education, discipline, and respect was much better. Now? I wouldn't send my child to Catholic school if they paid me! It's just not there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island