Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,425,730 times

Advertisements

OMI, I am grounded in reality. I do not look at issues through rose colored glasses. When something happens everyone imediately run's for either the polititians or the lawyers. Every once and a while life happens, and not for the best. And instead of dealing and moving on we need to pass a law or sue someone. Sadly "bracelets" are likely not the answer. Stronger door hinges are not the answer. Telling people how many thingamabobs supermart has is not the answer. There is no law that will change human nature and until people themselves change how they act there will be no answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 08:35 PM

8,818 posts, read 21,288,785 times
Does anyone know if this kind of shopping thing happens in other countries? (I do not mean sports or arena stampeding which I have heard of , sadly enough).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 PM

Stampede at Army recruitment rally kills 2-India-The Times of India

not shopping but opportunity none the less.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 PM

518 posts, read 1,821,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Interesting. I wonder how many of those limited-quantity voucher tickets end up being auctioned off on eBay.

IMO a fairer method would be to use those nonremoveable concert-type wristbands. Of course, I suppose there would then need to be crowd-control measures on the first day that the Black-Friday WRISTBANDS went on sale...
they are handed out a few hours before the store opens, so there is no chance to sell them on ebay. theyre handed out to the people waiting on line outside the store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
That would work fine for individual items. but I feel the whole premise behind the "doorbuster" is that everything in the store is on sale. How many bracelets are you going to hand out? And the idea that advertizing only a certain number of things has the drawback of "OH my god they only have five of them"!!!! and I think it'll be even more frenzied than before. Just an opinion. This is also an isolated incident. No one else from around the country had this happen. Before we start legislating let's see how prevalent this behavior is.
actually most doorbuster deals are specific to certain items. like they would have a specific TV on sale for $499 which retails for $999, and the price would only be valid from 5am-11am. most stores have a bunch of those really good deals, and then most of the other stuff is valid all day long. but then again, its always first come first serve for whatever they have, even as small as dvd's and cd's

Old 12-01-2008, 10:35 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
OMI, I am grounded in reality. I do not look at issues through rose colored glasses. When something happens everyone imediately run's for either the polititians or the lawyers. Every once and a while life happens, and not for the best. And instead of dealing and moving on we need to pass a law or sue someone. Sadly "bracelets" are likely not the answer. Stronger door hinges are not the answer. Telling people how many thingamabobs supermart has is not the answer. There is no law that will change human nature and until people themselves change how they act there will be no answer.
People themselves obviously should not act the way they did. It was an utter disgrace. With that being said more should be done to ensure safety. Sometimes companies will look to take the cheapest way out, which is something Walmart often does, and that may have played a role in this tragedy.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:32 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,474,305 times
I'm grounded in reality as well ---- a reality that says DO something about a problem instead of sitting back and saying "it's going to happen regardless, so why try to make changes"

Making the stores responsible for crowd control is one answer.....
Making the stores responsible for making things more organized is another answer.....
Making people LEAVE the premises until the stores open is another answer (having 2000 people waiting for 25 items is a bit absurd, don't you think?)

No, you can't change human nature. However, you can take steps to control what you CAN control and if it takes legal action to do so, then so be it. I would hate to see another person killed or hurt over a television or a video game system.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:55 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron View Post
Couldn't agree more.

and here we go again, in this case blaming the store for the actions of individuals. People need to be held responsible for their own actions. "Oh it's not OUR fault! the sign said blitz so we didn't do anything wrong! the store should have had more security.. They didn't tell us NOT to break the doors down, so it's their fault.." Puh-leese..

It's sad that we've come to the point where we need to literally break the doors down to get into a walmart just to buy a bunch of crap at a slightly reduced price.
My bringing up the word blitz is not an attempt to justify people behaving like animals. Regardless, Walmart WANTS people to be hyped up and excited about their deals, probably not to this extent, but at this point it's irresponsible to continue with this kinds of promotions. As someone suggested, they should be handing out vouchers or coupons to the first to arrive.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 AM

151 posts, read 535,066 times
It's the attitude of the citizens that needs to be changed not the law. I went to the BF sale here in Madison WI and there was over 1,000 people. When the doors opened people walked instaed of running like animals. People need to accept responsibility for their own actions instead of blaming others.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:53 AM

73 posts, read 292,508 times
Quote:
Not to pick on you sickofnyc99 but this was in the making since Black Friday started years ago and I'm surprised it took this long for someone to get killed. I remember seeing YouTube videos of store security camera footage at store openings and people getting trampled. These stores have a responsibility to manage the crazed situation and crowds and while some do a better job of it than others (ie Bestbuy), I believe in hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.
Mob mentality is very powerful and can make teh most civilized person act uncivilized (especially when each person is trying to achieve the same goal - ie getting 1 of 25 lcd's).

Old 12-02-2008, 01:08 PM

I can see it now, next year they'll be advertising how safe they are. WE HAVE COPS IN RIOT GEAR EVERYONE!!!!! People should take responsibility for themselves. Period. People are so ready to blame someone else when they see themselves on camera shoving an old lady out of the way. Well it's not my fault! They said "Blitz". Now I'm saying this tongue in cheek, I know some people get upset (OMI, SMASH, just kidding). Should something be done, sure. Do we need to make it law? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: