Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:03 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
I had the chance to look over both me and dh's vaccinations from when we were kids, we were given no more than one vaccine at a time.

Vaccines contain heavy metals and toxins, and most dr's will give 4-5 shots at a time. That's a lot of toxins for one little body to handle. The CDC came up with the current chart based on parental conveninience (most parents don't want to come into the office monthly for a year) not medical necessity. Also, should there be a reaction to a vaccine and you're giving 5 shots how do you narrow it down? Oh, hmm, let's try this one again but not this? My child isn't a guinea pig.

Oh and some vaccines I find completely unnecessary, like chicken pox, because if you can contract it as a young child (I do think if you haven't been exposed by a certain age and a titer doesn't show immunity by your teens you SHOULD be vaccinated since chicken pox is difficult for adults) the immunity your BODY creates to the virus is far superior than any vaccine manufactured in a lab.
Very interesting. And how many vaccines were you given total? How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

I cringe everytime I hear someone say "just listen to the doctors..they know better than you..", or when you try to have a discussion with a doc and you get the "you don't know jack and I went to med school eye roll".

The truth is, these doctors really don't know any more than your or I do what the long term ramifications of these vaccines are. Just think back 20 years of what was thought to be safe that now isn't..how many dozens of drugs have been yanked from pharmacies? Don't buy the eye roll. Get the bare minimum number of shots for your kid. I started looking into this situation when my son had a bad reaction to one of the the first vaccines he was given. From then on, my wife and I were very diligent about what we'd let them shoot into his body. Dr. Parles at Smithtown dropped us because of it. He's more concerned about ACOP's schedule (basically created by the pharmaceutical companies) than kids , apparently.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:15 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Well, the last two posters sound reasonable. You're right, it doesn't make sense to load a kid up with a bunch of vaccines at one time if you can spread it out, and I don't really see the need for a chicken pox vaccine.

That being said, modern vaccines don't contain the heavy metals (Thimerosal) that some suspect contribute to autism and haven't since 2001. I have yet to see any convincing evidence that vaccinations have anything to do with autism. In fact, the court system recently dismissed the high-profile case alleging same.

It is indeed a sad thing for a child to receive that diagnosis. Nevertheless, it is time to stop chasing boogeymen and concentrate on the true cause of these disorders, if indeed diagnosis rates have been rising apart from "the industry" broadening the standards for diagnosis.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:32 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Well, the last two posters sound reasonable. You're right, it doesn't make sense to load a kid up with a bunch of vaccines at one time if you can spread it out, and I don't really see the need for a chicken pox vaccine.

That being said, modern vaccines don't contain the heavy metals (Thimerosal) that some suspect contribute to autism and haven't since 2001. I have yet to see any convincing evidence that vaccinations have anything to do with autism. In fact, the court system recently dismissed the high-profile case alleging same.

It is indeed a sad thing for a child to receive that diagnosis. Nevertheless, it is time to stop chasing boogeymen and concentrate on the true cause of these disorders, if indeed diagnosis rates have been rising apart from "the industry" broadening the standards for diagnosis.
It's also the idea that someone else is going to tell me whats best for my child. If I don't want a certain vaccine (MMR, Flu, HPV, Chicken pox, Hep B, whatever) I don't want it shoved down my throat. If my child contracts any of these then it's on me.

And if there is a link between the vaccines and autism does the state who MANDATES these vaccines say "oops, sorry don't worry we'll make sure your child is taken care of"? No it's on you, you now have an autistic child with all the hardships that come with it. No thanks, I'll take my chances with chicken pox. Since everyone elses kid has been immunized there shouldn't be a problem right?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:16 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
It's also the idea that someone else is going to tell me whats best for my child. If I don't want a certain vaccine (MMR, Flu, HPV, Chicken pox, Hep B, whatever) I don't want it shoved down my throat. If my child contracts any of these then it's on me.

And if there is a link between the vaccines and autism does the state who MANDATES these vaccines say "oops, sorry don't worry we'll make sure your child is taken care of"? No it's on you, you now have an autistic child with all the hardships that come with it. No thanks, I'll take my chances with chicken pox. Since everyone elses kid has been immunized there shouldn't be a problem right?
That the problem, we have 12 million + people in this country who I can assure you ARE NOT vaccinated for any of those diseases. Polio, the Mumps, TB, etc are now back again thanks to these people ... and furthermore, an outbreak would be made worse by people like you who refuse to vaccinate your kids.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:03 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
There's no routine vaccination for TB, you get a titer to see if you have been exposed. It never "went away", it's always been around.

Polio is a far different disease than the chicken pox or even the flu. For instance, the current flu epidemic isn't included in the current flu vaccine. So, it doesn't matter if you get the flu vaccine or not. HPV isn't even an airborne disease, nor is Hep B. There wouldn't be an "outbreak" of those, they're passed via bodily fluids not through air. You're comparing apples to oranges now.

Our kids, our decision. If you are so concerned about it, make sure YOUR kids are vaccinated and YOU won't have a problem. Teach your kids safe sex and you limit their exposure to HPV and Hep B and HIV. Why should I be forced to vaccinate my child against a sexually transmitted disease?

Fact is, if my otherwise healthy kid gets a disease like chicken pox or a strain of the flu then her natural anitbodies and her immune system will create a natural, stronger immunity to that strain of the virus. Overtreating with antibiotics and vaccines can cause a virus to mutate over time becoming stronger and resistant to the current method of treatment. This is why we have things now like Multi Drug Resistant-TB and MRSA (Methacillin resistant staphylococcus aureus). And this is why they are finding that people need a booster of the chicken pox shot at LEAST one time. And there is NO guarantee you will be immune from chicken pox, or it's more nasty sibling, shingles. It's also a disease that is less severe for a child than an adult. I do believe if you haven't had chicken pox and you ARE an adult you should seek out vaccination if you don't show immunity in bloodwork.

WIHS2006 you're grouping those of us who want to be parents and have choices as all being irresponsible and that is unfair.

Interlude: yes, vaccines no longer contain Thimerosal but they still contain aluminum which is a metal as well as trace mercury and toxins such as formaldehyde.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:44 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
That the problem, we have 12 million + people in this country who I can assure you ARE NOT vaccinated for any of those diseases. Polio, the Mumps, TB, etc are now back again thanks to these people ... and furthermore, an outbreak would be made worse by people like you who refuse to vaccinate your kids.
Well if my kid has autism I'll send you the bill. Sound like a deal?

Old 01-21-2015, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
My ped is wonderful. he is an older school Doctor who does not alarm, prescribe or do anything that is not needed. Yesterday which was sunday my 9 year old was sick. At 8am I was able to bring him into the doctors office and yes, he did have strep throat. He actually took the temp himself ; under the arm (old fashioned way).

He is in East patchogue but worth every second of travel. My son had a major problem a few years ago and once it was rx'd, I was at a neurosurgeon in Manhatten within the week ; all at the recommendation of the ped.

DM me if you want his number.
d

hello Dorothy, I'm sorry to bother & I do hope you see this. I know I'm super later but do you think you can give me the doctors number that you mentioned that's located in East Patchogue. I would be very greatful thank you.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:02 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
There is so much bad information in this ancient, resurrected thread that I hardly know where to begin.

Vaccines do not cause autism. Not the thimerosal (which is no longer in children's vaccines), not the whole vaccine, not any individual substance in the vaccines. That has been unequivocally demonstrated, wasting millions of dollars that could have been spent on finding the real causes of autism (genetics is a big one) in the process.

The toxins in vaccines myth:

Toxic myths about vaccines « Science-Based Medicine

Vaccines have nothing to do with antibiotic resistance. In fact, by preventing infections, vaccines reduce the overall use of antibiotics. Although antibiotics do not treat viruses, some people with viral infections get superimposed bacterial infections that do need antibiotics. An example would be a child with chickenpox who gets an infection from scratching the blisters.

Speaking of chickenpox, the reason there is a vaccine is because it can cause serious illness and, rarely, death.

Chickenpox | Complications | Varicella | CDC

It is not yet known if a booster dose of chickenpox vaccine will be needed.

Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Varicella/Vaccine Effectiveness and Duration of Protection

"Several studies have shown that people vaccinated against varicella [chickenpox] had antibodies for at least 10 to 20 years after vaccination. But, these studies were done before the vaccine was widely used and when infection with wild-type varicella was still very common.
A case-control study conducted from 1997 to 2003 showed that 1 dose of varicella vaccine was 97% effective in the first year after vaccination and 86% effective in the second year. From the second to eighth year after vaccination, the vaccine effectiveness remained stable at 81 to 86%. Most vaccinated children who developed varicella during the 8 years after vaccination had mild disease
A clinical trial showed that children with 2 doses of varicella vaccine were protected 10 years after being vaccinated. Fewer people had breakthrough varicella after 2 doses compared with 1 dose. The risk of breakthrough varicella did not increase over time."

If it turns out that a booster is needed, so what? We use boosters against other diseases, too.

Not vaccinating your children against HPV or hepatitis B is playing ostrich. You have no way to predict the sexual history of any partner your child may choose in the future, and if you think you can, you have more than your head buried in the sand.

There is no reason to use any alternative vaccine schedule. The schedule most pediatricians use is based on sound science and designed to get kids protected against preventable diseases as quickly as possible. Alternate schedules increase the risk of missed doses and leave children vulnerable to catching something before they are protected. If you just do not want multiple injections on one visit, most pediatricians will work with you on that. If you do not vaccinate at all, many of them do not want you coming to their office where you might expose infants too young to be vaccinated and other patients (including kids with cancer) to vaccine preventable diseases. One of "Dr. Bob's" unvaccinated patients started a measles outbreak, infecting four others - in Dr. Bob's waiting room:

Just the Vax: 2008: Measles in Dr. Bob Sears' Waiting Room

Three of the infected were infants too young to be vaccinated, one of whom became very sick and was hospitalized, eventually having a fever of 106 degrees. One was a two year old whose parents had intentionally delayed vaccinating him.

It gets better: apparently someone in "Dr. Bob's" office did a poor job diagnosing the kid's measles, meaning the child exposed even more people.

The measles story continues this year:

An unvaccinated woman helped spread measles in a current outbreak that started at Disneyland:

Measles outbreak spreads in US after unvaccinated woman visits Disneyland | US news | The Guardian

The index (first) case in that outbreak has not been identified, but typically for US outbreaks the disease is brought in by a traveler, usually unvaccinated, who brings it from another country.

Five Things To Know About The Disneyland Measles Outbreak - Forbes

Timeline on the California cases tied to the outbreak started at Disneyland:

2 More Orange County Measles Cases; 59 in State with 42 Linked to Disney Resorts: Update | OC Weekly

Other cases have been found in Utah, Washington, Colorado and Mexico. The Mexican case is a 22-month-old girl.

Oops, more people getting measles as I type:

67 confirmed cases of measles in California-centered outbreak - LA Times

Anyone wondering what this is going to cost before it's controlled?

Meanwhile, Dr. Bob says it's no big deal:

Quoth “Dr. Bob” Sears: Poor, poor pitiful me, you stupid people – Respectful Insolence

Whooping cough continues to be a problem, and geographical areas with clusters of whooping cough cases correspond to geographic areas with larger numbers of unvaccinated pre-school children.

Nonmedical Vaccine Exemptions and Pertussis in California, 2010

Vaccination Opt-Outs Found to Contribute to Whooping Cough Outbreaks in Kids - Scientific American

"A California whooping cough epidemic in 2010 was one of the worst U.S. outbreaks of the disease in the past several decades. Ten infant deaths occurred among the more than 9,000 cases—the most in that state since 1947. Now, a study reveals that parental refusals to vaccinate their children may have played a part in that epidemic and possibly in a concurrent nationwide resurgence of the disease. The research found significant overlaps of areas with high numbers of whooping cough cases and areas where more parents had sought legal exemptions to opt out vaccinating their children."

What a poster here has to say about her personal experience with whooping cough:

//www.city-data.com/forum/38113335-post88.html

As far as knowing as much about vaccines as your child's doctor, I'll believe that if you have four years of medical school and three years of a pediatrics residency. If your information is from the internet, you most assuredly do not know as much. The most vehement anti-vaxers have no expertise in vaccines or immunology, but they have web sites that are easy to find. Many of them will be happy to sell you supplements, books, and videos, too.

The pediatricians that allow you to have your "alternate" schedule? They do not believe in it, they just want your children to be vaccinated. If they believed there was any reason to use an "alternate" schedule, all their patients would be on it.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:07 PM
ITD

31 posts, read 46,071 times
Thank you for that comprehensive ans superlative post. I was so distressed reading this thread but didn't have the energy to fight this fight, yet again.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:07 PM

664 posts, read 806,815 times
More scare tactics.

The medical establishment is apparently working overtime in generating all this propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island