Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 05:16 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Uh, no. When I see a moron, I call them out. Your logic, your manner of "speaking", and your reading comprehension are all way out of whack. To the point that I really hope your username is a joke.
I'm beginning to understand why I watch so little television.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
If your kids are vaccinated, what's the worry?
Quote:
Viruses are viruses. They don't know who's vaccinated and who's not. They exist in air, on surfaces, etc. Those kids would have been infected one way or the other.
I see you've studied the anti-vax textbook well. That's one of their favorite memes. In point of fact, 99% of people who get two doses of measles vaccine will develop permanent immunity to the disease. 1%will not be immune. That doesn't sound like many, but it is in a large group of people. 95% will achieve immunity after one dose. Measles is essentially the most contagious disease there is, 90% of the non-immune who are exposed to it will get sick, which is an extremely high attack rate. So that is one reason to be concerned, even if your own kids are immunized.

In general, the second dose is not given until age 4-6 (pre-K), so there are a lot of preschoolers out there who are not fully immunized. Infants under a year are not immunized for measles b/c it doesn't work as well on them.

Since measles has been so rare in this country from 2000 when it was declared eliminated from the US until about 2013, these immuninzed/partly immunized kids were at no danger. The kids would *NOT* have been infected one way or the other. That's a cop-out.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:09 PM

483 posts, read 670,860 times
Quote:
When disease scare tactics don't work to get people to vaccinate, gears are shifted into shame and emotion.
Well placed shame, yes. A very good emotion to have.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:16 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,501,348 times
All my family are vaccine free and attend NYS schools. Its easy to obtain a NYS religious exemption. Anyone with questions let me know. They try to bully you about a herd mentality. Remember, they can't prevent you from attending schools anywhere in nYS with a religious exemption.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
All my family are vaccine free and attend NYS schools. Its easy to obtain a NYS religious exemption. Anyone with questions let me know. They try to bully you about a herd mentality. Remember, they can't prevent you from attending schools anywhere in nYS with a religious exemption.
So you are recommending lying to obtain a religious exemption? VERY few religions prohibit immunization;most leave it up to the individual.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:06 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
All these posts on how to get over, get by, get away with out doing it does anyone anymore feel an obligation to have the immunization out of a sense of responsibility to society at large?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:45 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,529 times
My goodness... people who died from these diseases 100s of years, even just 50-60 years ago would be blessed to have a cure for diseases that killed members of their family. Now, we want to bring them back...wow.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:59 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
I worked in NYS Public Schools (several different schools) from 1999 to 2005. I was not asked to show my own immunization record. I worked in Florida Public Schools from 2007 to 2011. They also did not ask me for anything. The only requirement was a TB test (not vaccine).

Has this changed? I couldn't provide that for the few that I got as a child, or for all those childhood diseases that I had myself. Both records and doctor are LONG GONE/DECEASED.

Edit. Since this is a Long Island thread, I lived and worked on LI.

Last edited by Jo48; 01-26-2015 at 09:11 AM..

Old 01-26-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
All these posts on how to get over, get by, get away with out doing it does anyone anymore feel an obligation to have the immunization out of a sense of responsibility to society at large?
Feel free to vaccinate you and yours, if that is your choice. Others should have the choice to do the opposite. Won't your being vaccinated protect you from other people?

Having grown up in Manhattan, you would have to be wearing a Hazmat suit out in public if you were so terrified of catching something from the millions of people you are in extremely close contact with everyday. That old "attitude" thingy.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
So you are recommending lying to obtain a religious exemption? VERY few religions prohibit immunization;most leave it up to the individual.
Parents can and do lie when they feel strongly about it. I can tell you that having worked as a 1:1 Para.
Parents told me this since I was on the same page as them. I certainly was not going to tell anyone else their son's medical history. HIPPA.

They will also homeschool their kids to avoid vaccination. I have seen that also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island