Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 09:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Feel free to vaccinate you and yours, if that is your choice. Others should have the choice to do the opposite. Won't your being vaccinated protect you from other people?

Having grown up in Manhattan, you would have to be wearing a Hazmat suit out in public if you were so terrified of catching something from the millions of people you are in extremely close contact with everyday. That old "attitude" thingy.
That tired old meme again! You know the answer to this; I'm not repeating it, as I posted it in this thread at noon yesterday.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:07 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,451,919 times
So if kids under the age of one who are too young to have been vaccinated for certain things catches a preventable disease from someone who lied on a form to avoid having a vaccine can we charge them with Murder?

I mean their actions directly killed the child. No different than drunk driving. where you run over people or shooting guns into air and bullet comes down and kills someone.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:12 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,541,583 times
I'm a doctor. There is an active discussion on an online Doctor's forum (Sermo.com) about the disney measles outbreak.
I'm going to post a vignette from that discussion.
Its long, but its worth a read, especially for you ant-vaxxers.

Here it is:

Incidentally, the creator of Willy Wonka was Roald Dahl, whose daughter Olivia died of measles encephalitis in 1962. He became a strong supporter of immunization for children. In his words:
'Olivia, my eldest daughter, caught measles when she was seven years old. As the illness took its usual course I can remember reading to her often in bed and not feeling particularly alarmed about it. Then one morning, when she was well on the road to recovery, I was sitting on her bed showing her how to fashion little animals out of coloured pipe-cleaners, and when it came to her turn to make one herself, I noticed that her fingers and her mind were not working together and she couldn't do anything.
"Are you feeling all right?" I asked her.
"I feel all sleepy," she said.
In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.
The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her. That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her.
On the other hand, there is today something that parents can do to make sure that this sort of tragedy does not happen to a child of theirs. They can insist that their child is immunised against measles. I was unable to do that for Olivia in 1962 because in those days a reliable measles vaccine had not been discovered. Today a good and safe vaccine is available to every family and all you have to do is to ask your doctor to administer it.
It is not yet generally accepted that measles can be a dangerous illness. Believe me, it is. In my opinion parents who now refuse to have their children immunised are putting the lives of those children at risk. In America, where measles immunisation is compulsory, measles like smallpox, has been virtually wiped out.
Here in Britain, because so many parents refuse, either out of obstinacy or ignorance or fear, to allow their children to be immunised, we still have a hundred thousand cases of measles every year. Out of those, more than 10,000 will suffer side effects of one kind or another. At least 10,000 will develop ear or chest infections. About 20 will die.
LET THAT SINK IN.
Every year around 20 children will die in Britain from measles.
So what about the risks that your children will run from being immunised?
They are almost non-existent. Listen to this. In a district of around 300,000 people, there will be only one child every 250 years who will develop serious side effects from measles immunisation! That is about a million to one chance. I should think there would be more chance of your child choking to death on a chocolate bar than of becoming seriously ill from a measles immunisation.
So what on earth are you worrying about? It really is almost a crime to allow your child to go unimmunised.
The ideal time to have it done is at 13 months, but it is never too late. All school-children who have not yet had a measles immunisation should beg their parents to arrange for them to have one as soon as possible.
Incidentally, I dedicated two of my books to Olivia, the first was 'James and the Giant Peach'. That was when she was still alive. The second was 'The BFG', dedicated to her memory after she had died from measles. You will see her name at the beginning of each of these books. And I know how happy she would be if only she could know that her death had helped to save a good deal of illness and death among other children'.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:18 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
So if kids under the age of one who are too young to have been vaccinated for certain things catches a preventable disease from someone who lied on a form to avoid having a vaccine can we charge them with Murder?

I mean their actions directly killed the child. No different than drunk driving. where you run over people or shooting guns into air and bullet comes down and kills someone.
First you would have to find the person. You are assuming that it is the parent of a young unvaccinated child. What ADULT has to lie about a religious exemption to refuse a vaccination? Flat out NO is enough. Again, track them down HOW?

Old 01-26-2015, 01:24 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
First you would have to find the person. You are assuming that it is the parent of a young unvaccinated child. What ADULT has to lie about a religious exemption to refuse a vaccination? Flat out NO is enough. Again, track them down HOW?
That person will almost certainly be unvaccinated, and the source of a measles outbreak is commonly identified.

Lying about your religious beliefs to get an exemption should be punishable. No one has to be vaccinated. If you don't want to vaccinate, make other education arrangements for your child.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:27 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,501,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
So you are recommending lying to obtain a religious exemption? VERY few religions prohibit immunization;most leave it up to the individual.
The BIG PHARMA companies lie to us about the damage their toxic ingredients do to billions worldwide......I have to problem doing whatever it takes to prevent my children and adult family members from injecting themselves with FOR PROFIT poison!

Old 01-26-2015, 06:29 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,501,140 times
Quote:
I worked in NYS Public Schools (several different schools) from 1999 to 2005. I was not asked to show my own immunization record. I worked in Florida Public Schools from 2007 to 2011. They also did not ask me for anything. The only requirement was a TB test (not vaccine).

Has this changed? I couldn't provide that for the few that I got as a child, or for all those childhood diseases that I had myself. Both records and doctor are LONG GONE/DECEASED.

Edit. Since this is a Long Island thread, I lived and worked on LI.

Its basically all or none. My children have none. They have an immune system....works just fine.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:33 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,264 times
Thought this was relevant to this topic. Melinda Gates Speaks Out Against The Anti-Vaccine Movement

I sure hope none of the kids from the anti vaccine crowd ever encounter someone from another country, or travel abroad. fingers crossed... that'll probably help.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:45 PM

483 posts, read 670,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Its basically all or none. My children have none. They have an immune system....works just fine.
That's the issue, with some VPD it is the patient's very immune system that kills them. The body's reaction to the illness, like the flu or measles myocarditis. Remember we are exposed to hundreds of pathogens every day. We only vaccinate for the dangerous ones. So your immune system will get plenty of practice with not-deadly diseases.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:37 PM

664 posts, read 807,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
LET THAT SINK IN.
Every year around 20 children will die in Britain from measles.
Let THIS sink in:

Every year 107 children will be killed in Britain while crossing the road.

Maybe Britain shouldn't have roads. Or cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island