Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given the current economic meltdown, are the Police on Long Island overpaid?
Yes 68 45.33%
No 82 54.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:14 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They complain all the time, and the cop defenders tend to be some of the biggest complainers on this board. Newsflash cop lovers ("men and women in blue"..who uses this term other than cop relatives and PBA hacks?)...the PD infrastructure is about one tenth the size of the school system, folks. Yet it doesn't cost 1/10th as much in your tax bill. Cops are much, much more expensive per capita than teachers. Factor in all the traffic tickets, and it's off the chart.
You always seem to have a lot to say about this subject (some would call that an agenda.) How about you back up your statements with facts? That would be refreshing.

Let me get you started: not a penny of traffic fines goes to the police department. Now you can tell us exactly how cops are "...much, much more expensive per capita than teachers" using all the facts you have apparently researched.

Or maybe you can just keep "shooting from the hip" because you don't like cops.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:03 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
You always seem to have a lot to say about this subject (some would call that an agenda.) How about you back up your statements with facts? That would be refreshing.

Let me get you started: not a penny of traffic fines goes to the police department. Now you can tell us exactly how cops are "...much, much more expensive per capita than teachers" using all the facts you have apparently researched.

Or maybe you can just keep "shooting from the hip" because you don't like cops.

How about you post about something other than cop issues? Who's got the agenda, police department county of nassau retired? WhoModerator cut: language should be PG 13 here do you think you're kidding?

You're agenda was exposed long ago.

Traffic fines go into the general fund, so to say that not a penny of fines gets back to the police dept is inaccurate. Sure when someone pay a fine, it doesn't get funneled directly into the PD's pocket..I'm sure some of you guys think that it should be.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-17-2009 at 09:14 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 05:05 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,682 times
Quote:
How about you post about something other than cop issues? Who's got the agenda, police department county of nassau retired? WhoModerator cut: language should be PG 13 here do you think you're kidding?

You're agenda was exposed long ago.

Traffic fines go into the general fund, so to say that not a penny of fines gets back to the police dept is inaccurate. Sure when someone pay a fine, it doesn't get funneled directly into the PD's pocket..I'm sure some of you guys think that it should be.
Interesting response. Looks like we've touched a nerve. You've posted time and again in this particular thread (which by the way, is about police issues) how overcompensated cops are and then you blast me for asking you to prove it (count my posts in this thread versus yours.)

I'm guessing by your response that you haven't quite got all the facts to back up your statements. That's okay. Take your time.

By the way, it's disingenuous of you to continue to support and advocate for teacher compensation when your wife is employed as a public school teacher.

Have a great day!

Old 05-18-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Interesting response. Looks like we've touched a nerve. You've posted time and again in this particular thread (which by the way, is about police issues) how overcompensated cops are and then you blast me for asking you to prove it (count my posts in this thread versus yours.)

I'm guessing by your response that you haven't quite got all the facts to back up your statements. That's okay. Take your time.

By the way, it's disingenuous of you to continue to support and advocate for teacher compensation when your wife is employed as a public school teacher.

Have a great day!
A few points:

1)You've never indicated that you think there is even a smidgen of an area where cops should make concessions, where I have on numerous occasions said otherwise for teachers. You might as well just post PBA press releases
2) You've been buried in facts, but the same robotic mantra keeps coming. You even said that people weren't posting facts about police compensation when they linked to the recruiting websites. Take your circus act over to LI politics if your looking for a cop love fest.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:46 AM

23 posts, read 30,967 times
Quote:
A few points:

1)You've never indicated that you think there is even a smidgen of an area where cops should make concessions, where I have on numerous occasions said otherwise for teachers. You might as well just post PBA press releases
2) You've been buried in facts, but the same robotic mantra keeps coming. You even said that people weren't posting facts about police compensation when they linked to the recruiting websites. Take your circus act over to LI politics if your looking for a cop love fest.
1) Why should cops make concessions, they take bullets for us!
2) Why lets facts get in the way of a good story?? Cops are the elite of society and should be paid better than anyone!!! Who cares that no education (or very litte) is required - they have that psychological and agility test! No doctor could get through those!! Stephen Hawking couldn't pass it, so cops should be paid more than him!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:34 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,895 times
Quote:

Have a great day!
Proof of over-compensation comes right from the NCPD recruiting website:

Nassau County Police Department

$34,000 Annual Starting Salary

$91,737 after 8 years

12% Night Differentia
l
*These salaries do not include overtime earnings, shift differential, holiday pay and uniform allowance.

10 paid holidays annually for the first two years increasing to 12
thereafter 18-26 sick days annually

Health/Dental/Optical Plan premiums fully paid by Nassau County

20 Year Non-Contributory 50% Retirement

Tax Deferred Payroll Deducted Savings Plan (457 Deferred Compensation Plan)

OK, I'll conceed, we should continue to pay you and your brethren at current rate of pay ( I assume you or a family member are cops). How about bending a bit on the pension? 20 Year Non-Contributory 50% Retirement. Come on now, LI cops are retiring at 40 years old with lifetime benefits and an annual salary bloated by cramming in 3 years of extra OT.

I'll conceed again, keep all the comp, the fringes and the sweet retirement. Just push the date of collecting on retirement back to age 65 instead of 20 years regardless of age. This is what the rest of the world does. This would save the taxpayer a ton of money and still provide a wonderful comp package for NCPD and their families.

Just the 20 and out piece, keep everything else, fair?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:40 AM

23 posts, read 30,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Proof of over-compensation comes right from the NCPD recruiting website:

Nassau County Police Department

$34,000 Annual Starting Salary

$91,737 after 8 years

12% Night Differentia
l
*These salaries do not include overtime earnings, shift differential, holiday pay and uniform allowance.

10 paid holidays annually for the first two years increasing to 12
thereafter 18-26 sick days annually

Health/Dental/Optical Plan premiums fully paid by Nassau County

20 Year Non-Contributory 50% Retirement

Tax Deferred Payroll Deducted Savings Plan (457 Deferred Compensation Plan)

OK, I'll conceed, we should continue to pay you and your brethren at current rate of pay ( I assume you or a family member are cops). How about bending a bit on the pension? 20 Year Non-Contributory 50% Retirement. Come on now, LI cops are retiring at 40 years old with lifetime benefits and an annual salary bloated by cramming in 3 years of extra OT.

I'll conceed again, keep all the comp, the fringes and the sweet retirement. Just push the date of collecting on retirement back to age 65 instead of 20 years regardless of age. This is what the rest of the world does. This would save the taxpayer a ton of money and still provide a wonderful comp package for NCPD and their families.

Just the 20 and out piece, keep everything else, fair?
How dare you question police compensation! You must be a criminal! Don't you know that they take bullets for you!! Give them more, not less!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyugrad11 View Post
How dare you question police compensation! You must be a criminal! Don't you know that they take bullets for you!! Give them more, not less!!!
Can I assume that you are also in favor of paying all those who put their lives at risk a better wage? Should we offer 6 figure salaries and early retirement to our fishermen? They put themselves in more harms way than the PD to put food on your table. Shouldn't the roofer and timber worker also be paid better than a cop. They provide the timber and roof for the home you work so hard to maintain. All of these professions work just as hard or harder than cops, they put themselves in more danger, all to provide you with the goods and services our country could not exist without. Should they not be paid more than cops? If your answer is no, how dare you!

The 10 most dangerous jobsOccupationFatalities per 100,000
Timber cutters117.8
Fishers71.1
Pilots and navigators69.8
Structural metal workers58.2
Drivers-sales workers37.9
Roofers37
Electrical power installers32.5
Farm occupations28
Construction laborers27.7
Truck drivers25

Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Can I assume that you are also in favor of paying all those who put their lives at risk a better wage? Should we offer 6 figure salaries and early retirement to our fishermen? They put themselves in more harms way than the PD to put food on your table. Shouldn't the roofer and timber worker also be paid better than a cop. They provide the timber and roof for the home you work so hard to maintain. All of these professions work just as hard or harder than cops, they put themselves in more danger, all to provide you with the goods and services our country could not exist without. Should they not be paid more than cops? If your answer is no, how dare you!

The 10 most dangerous jobsOccupationFatalities per 100,000 Timber cutters117.8Fishers71.1Pilots and navigators69.8Structural metal workers58.2Drivers-sales workers37.9Roofers37Electrical power installers32.5Farm occupations28Construction laborers27.7Truck drivers25

To our loggers, our fishermen, our roofers and truck drivers, we as a society have done you a dis-service. You have time and time sacrificed yourselves to put food on our tables, roofs over our head and the timber for our homes we work so hard to maintain.

Shouldn't all of these prosessions make more than cops? Since you base

Your sarcasm detector appears to be broken...

Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Your sarcasm detector appears to be broken...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island