Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 AM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

I've been posting this reply on there for 2-3 years now..
I've put it under a BBB complaint- and tried to generate interest by a local paper editorial.

The best is the response from people who say it's preferred that way... I can only imagine their definition of efficient.

merge longisland.craigslst & newyork.craglst/lgi

*****The issue at hand*****
Long Island has two boards on craiglist.
It's own board longisland.craigslist.org (ISP)
and newyork.craiglist.org>lgi (NYC)

Not all craigslist users are aware of both boards.
Posts are not cross linked. Users miss many posts because of this.

*****The location*****
Long Island, which is the name of a geographical island that encompasses Brooklyn and Queens (part of NYC) as well as Nassau and Sufolk Counties.
The Term Long Island (as a location) however generally is accepted as meaning just Nassau & Suffolk counties. (Suburban Long Island).

Originally, Long Island was only available as a division of New York City.
Sometime between 2003 and 2005, a new city level craiglist was created called "longisland.craigslist.org".
This city board was likely created by user feedback-
It however is VERY POSSIBLE that users requested this not knowing there even was a longisland subdivision of NYC.
It is also possible that whoever in Craigslist support created the new board was unwawre of the old one.

*****Where the overlap exists still*****
If newyork.craigslist.org covers Brooklyn and Queens, then longisland.craigslist.org is left to cover only Nassau and Suffolk counties.

If you were selling a chair, looking for a missed connection, or a job somewhere in Nassau or Suffolk, you would have to check both Newyork.craigslist.org/lgi as well as longisland.craigslist.org.

This overlap is NOT known by all craigslist users, and the board used tends to coincide with the time period the user started using craigslist.

As a poster- you are limiting yourself by posting in one board and not the other- as you will not get the entire viewer share. Essentially both of these boards are competing with another.

This is the equivilance of having manhattan.craigslist.org as well as newyorkcity.craigslist.org/mnh.
Both are the exact same geographical area, and users may end up using multiple boards for the same location.

(Continued in Reply Post)

*****How this is resolved in other regions*****

There is no Jersey City craigslist, however if a user goes to the New Jersey page, there is a reference that New Jersey suburbs of NYC are listed as a sub-division of NYC craiglist, and allows the user to click to go into that category.

The DC region is broken up, and under the individual state pages links to those areas redirects to washingtondc.craigslist.org

When craigslist was much smaller back in 2001-2002, users from Vancouver would post on Portland, OR's board. This trend changed when Vancouver was introduced. It would be very rare to see a Vancouver Location post today in
Portland, OR. This is the benefit of creating more geographical locations, but the old subdivisions must be removed.

*****How to resolve the issue*****

As longisland.craigslist.org is newer- it would make sense to keep it and represent suburban long island.
(This region is home to nearly 3 million people)
As per many users requests the board should have two subregions (Nassau and Suffolk)
Newyorkcity.craigslist.org/lgi should redirect users to longisland.craigslist.org.

It would also be acceptable to have longisland.craigslist.org just refer to Long Island as a suburb of New York City, and
redirect to that board, however I feel with an area as large (both in population and geographical distance) as LI, it makes sense to be seperated.

*****Thank you for your time*****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 04:05 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,276 times
I know this is an old thread, but I just realized this problem today. What made me notice it was the fact that CL now charges for job postings in NYC.
I added a job posting the other day and got an email to shell out $25. I posted a job another day, using my account (which I did not use on my first attempt) and the ad went in without a fee request. When I looked at all my ads, some were NYC and some isp (what the heck does isp even mean? Besides Internet service provider...). This is confusing.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:59 PM

86 posts, read 168,702 times
I never knew this after years of using CL and it looks like there's been no change since the 1st posts on this thread. I guess they just don't care about efficiency!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:13 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,276 times
Well, one board job posters on LI have to pay, but not of the other.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty__Quinn View Post
It's so annoying!

I've emailed CL a few times in the last 2-3 years and only get a canned response or nothing at all.

Same here. I check and post both sites also. Perhaps their thinking is we should be grateful to have a useful site for free. Still, it doesn't make any sense.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
there is a 3rd on my Ipad

Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just realized this problem today. What made me notice it was the fact that CL now charges for job postings in NYC.
I added a job posting the other day and got an email to shell out $25. I posted a job another day, using my account (which I did not use on my first attempt) and the ad went in without a fee request. When I looked at all my ads, some were NYC and some isp (what the heck does isp even mean? Besides Internet service provider...). This is confusing.
Wait, what??? NYC has to pay to post?! I had NO idea about that. As for the LI one, I had NO idea that there were two boards. Wow! Whichever one I used to sell my Dad's snowblower it was free.

Is NYC the only one they charge for? I thought the whole purpose of Craig's List was free posting? Does eBay charge too to post?

You learn something new every day!

Thanks once again to City-Data and it's posters for educating me!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:44 AM

537 posts, read 1,448,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Wait, what??? NYC has to pay to post?! I had NO idea about that. As for the LI one, I had NO idea that there were two boards. Wow! Whichever one I used to sell my Dad's snowblower it was free.

Is NYC the only one they charge for? I thought the whole purpose of Craig's List was free posting? Does eBay charge too to post?

You learn something new every day!

Thanks once again to City-Data and it's posters for educating me!

You only pay for help wanted and a few other select categories (personals). For sale is always free.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:36 PM

93 posts, read 139,684 times
[SIZE=3]Good point, and thanks for bringing up this topic; I do not go on craigslist often unless I need or advertising something. I have advertised on Craigslist on numerous occasions, I was unaware of this issue.[/SIZE]

Old 09-24-2013, 06:54 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
has anyone tried to ask them? Maybe they'll consolidate because of an oversight. I mean, the site still looks like it's out of the early 90s, maybe the guy in his basement never noticed it himself. Bless him for keeping it simple and ad-free though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island