Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:04 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times

Advertisements

As someone who uses Craigslist a lot, this has always really bugged me. Craigslist has 2 completely separate sections for Long Island postings:

1. craigslist: long island classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
and
2. craigslist: long island classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

This is really annoying as you have to search in both sections if you want to make sure you see all available postings. Even worse when selling, you have to try to post in both sections to make sure that your ad reaches the entire Long Island audience.

I'm sure most people don't even realize that both sections exist and just go to one section or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 02:16 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Wow...I use craigslist all the time and NEVER knew there were two!

If I'm bored at work later i'll email CL and ask them whats up. thanks for the post!

Old 08-07-2009, 02:17 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Wow...I use craigslist all the time and NEVER knew there were two!

If I'm bored at work later i'll email CL and ask them whats up. thanks for the post!

Its been like that for years.

Its STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPID

Crooks

Old 08-07-2009, 02:48 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Hey, we're talking about Lawn Guyland where the majority of places are NOT in the community whose name is in their mailing address, and you're surprised that there are two lists?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
I usually go to the one that is a subset of NYC instead of the one that is a subset of NY State. Yes, it is ridiculous!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:32 PM

187 posts, read 863,155 times
I use a site called 'search tempest' (google it) - you can configure it to search more than one geographical location at a time and return the results in multiple windows on the same page. So I have it set to return results from both NY State->Long Island and NY City->Long Island.

This obviously doesn't help when you have to post something, but for searching, I don't even go to the craig's list site directly anymore.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:53 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Thanks for that Arron, I will check it out - this Craiglist issue must be a HUGE inconvenience to realtors...

Old 08-08-2009, 10:38 AM
grant516

n/a posts
I've long posted (and you can still see them read) on the LI and NYC/LI Feedback Forum, Helpdesk, and City Suggestions on the abolishment of this practice.

There appears to be little concern of any review to fix this issue- and shockingly enough, plenty of people (many from out of area) seem to think this idea is just fine: and I've even heard plenty of people prefer it that way.

In any event- I've planned on taking this a step further as part of an Op-Ed article for Newsday about Long Island's confusing political geography being Information Age-Unfriendly. Read below, and feel free to throw out complaints on CL- someone will see this as an oversight one day and repair it, but it's been MANY MANY years; and most people will never, ever, know.

----

merge longisland.craigslst & newyork.craglst/lgi
*****The issue at hand*****
Long Island has two boards on craiglist.
It's own board longisland.craigslist.org (ISP)
and newyork.craiglist.org>lgi (NYC)
Not all craigslist users are aware of both boards.
Posts are not cross linked. Users miss many posts because of this.
*****The location*****
Long Island, which is the name of a geographical island that encompasses Brooklyn and Queens (part of NYC) as well as Nassau and Sufolk Counties.
The Term Long Island (as a location) however generally is accepted as meaning just Nassau & Suffolk counties. (Suburban Long Island).
Originally, Long Island was only available as a division of New York City.
Sometime between 2003 and 2005, a new city level craiglist was created called "longisland.craigslist.org".
This city board was likely created by user feedback-
It however is VERY POSSIBLE that users requested this not knowing there even was a longisland subdivision of NYC.
It is also possible that whoever in Craigslist support created the new board was unwawre of the old one.
*****Where the overlap exists still*****
If newyork.craigslist.org covers Brooklyn and Queens, then longisland.craigslist.org is left to cover only Nassau and Suffolk counties.
If you were selling a chair, looking for a missed connection, or a job somewhere in Nassau or Suffolk, you would have to check both Newyork.craigslist.org/lgi as well as longisland.craigslist.org.
This overlap is NOT known by all craigslist users, and the board used tends to coincide with the time period the user started using craigslist.
As a poster- you are limiting yourself by posting in one board and not the other- as you will not get the entire viewer share. Essentially both of these boards are competing with another.
This is the equivilance of having manhattan.craigslist.org as well as newyorkcity.craigslist.org/mnh.
Both are the exact same geographical area, and users may end up using multiple boards for the same location.
(Continued in Reply Post)

*****How this is resolved in other regions*****
There is no Jersey City craigslist, however if a user goes to the New Jersey page, there is a reference that New Jersey suburbs of NYC are listed as a sub-division of NYC craiglist, and allows the user to click to go into that category.
The DC region is broken up, and under the individual state pages links to those areas redirects to washingtondc.craigslist.org
When craigslist was much smaller back in 2001-2002, users from Vancouver would post on Portland, OR's board. This trend changed when Vancouver was introduced. It would be very rare to see a Vancouver Location post today in
Portland, OR. This is the benefit of creating more geographical locations, but the old subdivisions must be removed.
*****How to resolve the issue*****
As longisland.craigslist.org is newer- it would make sense to keep it and represent suburban long island.
(This region is home to nearly 3 million people)
As per many users requests the board should have two subregions (Nassau and Suffolk)
Newyorkcity.craigslist.org/lgi should redirect users to longisland.craigslist.org.
It would also be acceptable to have longisland.craigslist.org just refer to Long Island as a suburb of New York City, and
redirect to that board, however I feel with an area as large (both in population and geographical distance) as LI, it makes sense to be seperated.
*****Thank you for your time*****

Old 08-08-2009, 10:56 AM

518 posts, read 1,820,224 times
ive noticed this a long time ago, i mainly use the stand alone LI section. that one def. seems to be more heavily used for long island, rather than the sub section of nyc

Old 08-08-2009, 03:12 PM

75 posts, read 312,434 times
It's so annoying!

I've emailed CL a few times in the last 2-3 years and only get a canned response or nothing at all.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island