Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:07 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,785,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
This is the equivilance of having manhattan.craigslist.org as well as newyorkcity.craigslist.org/mnh. Both are the exact same geographical area ...
While the NYC Borough of Manhattan is coterminous with the New York State County of New York, it is not coterminous with New York City, representing only one of the 5 boroughs of New York City (as well as only one of the 5 counties, each separately coterminous with each of the 5 boroughs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
In any event- I've planned on taking this a step further as part of an Op-Ed article for Newsday about Long Island's confusing political geography being Information Age-Unfriendly.

There are 2 cities and 13 towns (as well as 2 Indian reservations) in the bi-counties and the 13 towns (3 in Nassau and 10 in Suffolk) are further sub-divided into 96 villages (municipal corporations) and 195 hamlets (unincorporated areas), yielding 293 communities (2 + 96 + 195 = 293).

..............Nassau......Suffolk........Total

....cities............2..........0..............2
...villages.........64.........32.............96
.hamlets..........70........125............195

.....total.........136........157............293

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:20 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
While the NYC Borough of Manhattan is coterminous with the New York State County of New York, it is not coterminous with New York City, representing only one of the 5 boroughs of New York City (as well as only one of the 5 counties, each separately coterminous with each of the 5 boroughs).
To quote me, once again- both the exact same geographic area.
This legal information is highly useful to policital entities- however for a classifieds listings site...

Manhattan the Island.
Manhattan the Borough.
New York County.

Are all physically the same exact location. There should be ONE craigslist covering this physical geographical space- as there should be ONE covering Long Island, not TWO.

I'm sure Walter, if you were running craiglist you would have taken care of a problem like this long ago. Whoever is asleep at the wheel though has allowed for over 4 years this overlap- justifying a difference in geographical location of Long Island, the NYC Suburb, and Long Island- an undefined region within New York State.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
To quote me, once again- both the exact same geographic area.
This legal information is highly useful to policital entities- however for a classifieds listings site...

Manhattan the Island.
Manhattan the Borough.
New York County.

Are all physically the same exact location.

While Manhattan the Borough and New York County are coterminous, Manhattan the Island is not coterminous with either, as it does not include several small islands in the East River and the Marble Hill neighborhood that appears to be in the Bronx, but is part of the Borough of Manhattan/the County of New York.

Too many people and institutions naively confuse places that have a "New York, NY" mailing address with New York City, blithely unaware that the majority of places in New York City have other than a "New York, NY" mailing address:

The U.S. Postal Service has divided the City of New York into 7+ postal cities: New York (covers Manhattan and the Bronx), Staten Island, Brooklyn (covers most of Brooklyn and parts of northwest and southwest Queens), Long Island City (most of the original Town of Newtown in Queens), Flushing (includes all of the original Town of Flushing and parts of the Town of Newtown in Queens and also part of what was Town of Bushwick in Brooklyn), Jamaica (most of the original Town of Jamaica in Queens and a small area in what was the East New York section of the Town of New Lots in Brooklyn) and Far Rockaway (in Queens). (Additionally, a few small areas in the Bronx are serviced by post offices located in Westchester County and hence have "Westchester" mailing addresses, such as "Yonkers, NY", "Pelham Manor, NY", etc.)

Old 08-09-2009, 05:04 PM

407 posts, read 972,584 times
I only found this out recently, when I placed a for sale ad myself...and then I couldn't find my own ad. Somehow I figured out there were two...and there it was. Weird.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,294 times
recently widowed need to talk

Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 PM

296 posts, read 747,819 times
It's always bothered me too. People who use CL are surprised when I show them this.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:09 AM

25 posts, read 81,737 times
been using craigslist for years and had no idea

Old 07-18-2010, 07:47 PM

180 posts, read 314,054 times
Does newyork.craiglist.org>lgi cover Suffolk and Nassau the same as longisland.craigslist.org? Asking because of CL limitations in placing an ad.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:45 AM

3,050 posts, read 5,007,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochcol View Post
Does newyork.craiglist.org>lgi cover Suffolk and Nassau the same as longisland.craigslist.org? Asking because of CL limitations in placing an ad.
Yes, both cover the exact same area, that is what is so annoying about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island