Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:48 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
And, as I said, I worked for the post office for a short time in the Massapequa 11758 zip code. That zip code ends at the Nassau County line.
According to the Nassau County Planning Commission map of Postal ZIP Codes, the "Massapequa, NY 11758" ZIP Code goes no farther east than Carmans Road ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
No house in Nassau County has a 11701 zip code.
... and, the area bounded by Carmans Road on the west and the Town of Oyster Bay/Town of Babylon town line and the Nassau County/Suffolk County county line on the east, south of the Southern State Parkway, is in the "Amityville, NY 11701" ZIP Code. This is the area that once was the Hamlet of West Amityville and, since 1990, is now part of the Hamlet of East Massapequa. (See my immediate prior posting.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 11:27 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to the Nassau County Planning Commission, the 738 acres that until 1990 was the Hamlet of West Amityville in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and since 1990 has been part of the Hamlet of East Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County, were, and are, in the "Amityville, NY 11701" postal zone.

This means that 32.5% of the Hamlet of East Massapequa (2,271 acres) are in the "Amityville, NY 11701" postal zone.

First, knowing how slow Nassau County is in updating their records, I could only guess that is why they are showing a date of 1990. This was all settled in 1974. Having lived in this particular area from 1964 to 1995 and in Massapequa Park from 1995 to 2006, I know where the zip code and name boundaries are.

I can tell that they are 100% when they say that "Massapequa, NY 11758" ZIP Code goes no farther east than Carmans Road ...” My friends lived in the area, all mail was addressed as Massapequa 11758. I worked for the Post Office and delivered mail to that area. I did not have to go to Amityville to get it. I was sorted at the PO on Sunrise Highway in Massapequa.

Areas between Carmans and County Line Roads used to be in the 11701 zip code have an Amityville mailing address. All mail was addressed to Amityville and 11701. After 1974 this changed to the above. Today, no part of Amityville or 11701 is in Nassau. Again, slow record updating because this was changed in 1974. From that time on 11701 was no longer in Nassau. The school district needed the tax dollars so the homes still remain in the Amityville School District, the one I and all my friends attended.

The only exceptions to is the North West Elementary school as it actually straddles the county line and possible a small strip of homes on the west side of the county line from that school north to the SS Parkway, as the actual county line veers west of the road. They may have a 11701 address but it is hardly 32.5% of the Hamlet of East Massapequa. We’re talking a one house wide strip. Generally what the people who lived in the area called East Massapequa was everything east of Carmans and Carman’s Mill Roads.

Boundaries of hamlets did not enter into anything regarding this change. The area known as West Amityville became East Massapequa at that time too. This 1990 thing is completely wrong. And again, no body in the area really cared one way or the other about calling the area East Massapequa or just Massapequa. Tax-wise, governmental jurisdiction-wise it made no difference.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:15 PM

As I am out of the area and do not have immediate access to the Hagstrom map of Nassau County, I was wondering if someone could check the Hagstrom map of Nassau County and then post a description of the area in Nassau County that is in the service area of the "Amityville, NY 11701" ZIP Code.

The Hagstrom map shows municipal (city, town, village), postal ZIP Code and school district borders (it does not show hamlet borders).

Old 10-21-2007, 02:55 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
As I am out of the area and do not have immediate access to the Hagstrom map of Nassau County, I was wondering if someone could check the Hagstrom map of Nassau County and then post a description of the area in Nassau County that is in the service area of the "Amityville, NY 11701" ZIP Code.

The Hagstrom map shows municipal (city, town, village), postal ZIP Code and school district borders (it does not show hamlet borders).
I did one better and looked it up on the Nassau County Department of Assessment website. He's right the 11758 zip code does indeed end at the county line.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I did one better and looked it up on the Nassau County Department of Assessment website. He's right the 11758 zip code does indeed end at the county line.
Thanks Sean.

Can you please post the URL for the page at the Nassau County Department of Assessment that has this information?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:21 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
Thanks Sean.

Can you please post the URL for the page at the Nassau County Department of Assessment that has this information?
Land Record Viewer

Click on "MAP", a new window will pop up with a map of Nassau County. From there you can overlay postal codes and zoom in/out.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Land Record Viewer

Click on "MAP", a new window will pop up with a map of Nassau County. From there you can overlay postal codes and zoom in/out.
Again, thank you.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:01 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Nice to see my wikipeia entry quoted on this board regarding the boundries (GC's post)

East Massapequa is a CDP (census Designated place) and actually quite a bit bigger than what most people generally think of when they hear East Massapequa. The general thinking is east of Carmen and Carmen Mill Road due the Suffolk border. That isn't the case. North of Sunrise Highway areas west of Carmen Road and east of East Lake Avenue are actually considered East Massapequa, most of it thought of as Massapequa Park and having a Massapequa Park zipcode (some especially around park Lane and the Sunrise Mall have the 11758 zipcode. South of Sunrise East Massapequa reaches as far west as Cartwright Blvd. Massapequa High School is technically in East Massapequa. The weirdest of all it has a Massapequa 11758 zipcode, despite being right across the street from the Massapequa Park Post office. South of Merrick Road the border is the Jones Canal (which is what separates Bar harbor and the Nassau Shores). The Nassau Shores is actually in East Massapequa.

The portion of East Massapequa in the Amityville school district is very diverse with almost as many whites as blacks. The area within the Massapequa district (west of carmen) is supermajority white much like Massapequa Park (which is what the area is generally mistakenly thought of as. About 60-65% of the population of East Massapequa is from areas not generally thought of as East Massapequa.

Their are three different areas within the Amityville district. North Amityville which is majority African American and a fairly poor area. Amityville village which is 80% white, and east Massapequa (the portion east of Carmen's road and very diverse. Both the Amityville village portion of the district and East Massapequa portion are mostly middle class and much better off economically speaking than the North Amityville portion of the district.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:00 AM

136 posts, read 492,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
#1, demographics change. It could be that the schools suck and that's who bought in the area.

#2, it's only 12% black as of 2000.

East Massapequa, New York (NY) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news
That percentage is skewed since they are counting Massapequa Park, which may be technically in East Massapequa for statistical purposes, but is not really considered "East Massapequa" (and is in the Massapequa school district - not to mention very white). East Massapequa is generally considered the area west of Carmans Road going towards Amityville (within the Amityville school district). This area has a completely different demographic compared to the rest of Massapequa, and is largely comprised of black households.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:02 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred5 View Post
That percentage is skewed since they are counting Massapequa Park, which may be technically in East Massapequa for statistical purposes, but is not really considered "East Massapequa" (and is in the Massapequa school district - not to mention very white). East Massapequa is generally considered the area west of Carmans Road going towards Amityville (within the Amityville school district). This area has a completely different demographic compared to the rest of Massapequa, and is largely comprised of black households.
What actually is east Massapequa and considered Massapequa are two different things. I live west of Carmen's RD, in the 11762 zipcode and part of the Massapequa SD. Generally thought of as Massapequa Park but I am technically in East Massapequa. I explained the general borders above, though its even more technical than how I explained it.

Just took a look at the Census site. All of the area that is considered East Massapequa (ie east of Carmens road) falls within the 5220 Census district so the stats were pretty easy to find.

44.48% White
33.03% Black
15.84% Hispanic
3.10% Asian
2.91% Mixed

The white population tends to be a bit older

18+
49.37% White
30.40% Black
14.48% Hispanic
3.02% Asian
2.23% Mixed

under 18
41.31% Black
29.14% White
20.08% Hispanic
5.04% Mixed
3.36% Asian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island