Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 PM

199 posts, read 1,106,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
If you think its about skin color, do you really think any of those evil white Massapequans would really be complaining if Amityville schools were mostly Asian.

Maybe its about crime, vandalism, violence and attitude towards education.
It is about skin color. Well, at least a major component of it is..

It's NOT about crime, vandalism and violence since the minority part of East Massapequa doesn't have any major crime problems. For the most part, the only crime that it suffers from is "spillover crime" from the neighboring area (kinda like how Garden City has to deal with Hempstead and how parts of Babylon have to deal with Wyandanch).

Last edited by Guidance100; 05-16-2013 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,440 times
I grew up in that area and remember what happened. East Massapequa is in Suffolk County. the town is used to be called West Amityville. they renamed it to East Massapequa hoping it would bring up the standard of living in that area. it always was part of the Amityville school district. all they did was change the name of the town.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:36 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,808,045 times
I remember by the mall the portion that is east massapequa used to be amityville. I used to deliver pizza in that area....wasn't the safest area!

Old 05-28-2014, 01:46 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,360,116 times
Right. I recall that the mall was originally part of Amityville but they re-zoned it so that the taxes brought in by the Mall would go to Massapequa. It was around 1973 when the mall was built and there was some noise about it back then.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancnnrs View Post
I live in Amityville. All three of my children went to Amityville Schools, and all three graduated from college! The education is there-if you are interested. It's a great town, with many lovely families.
All of my children also belong to the Book Club in the summer, took free swimming lessons at our beach, one of my son's learned sailing.
The fuss is about the black community--let's get honest, folks. It's about time we got over skin color.
I grew up in Massapequa, nice place, but it never had the same feeling of "small town" as Amityville.
It is not about skin color. It is how the people with the skin color behave, for the most part. No, I am not prejudice but there is a reason why black majority towns such as Wyandanch, Roosevelt or Amityville have the reputation they do. Of course there are successful black people. My boss is one of them. But the majority are not motivated to do much else than hang around and feel defeated about not getting a fair shake. There is opportunity for everyone and many people take advantage of it. Many give up and do. It try. I also know black people who are taught to go on welfare as soon as they are eligible. They are encouraged to have baby's at 13 years old without any consideration of finances because Medicaid will pay for it. That is the reality. The parents are teaching their kids this stuff and it goes from generation to generation. Thanks to a president who is helping these people get even more help and therefore, become even more dependent on help, and there is the problem.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:25 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
It is not about skin color. It is how the people with the skin color behave, for the most part. No, I am not prejudice but there is a reason why black majority towns such as Wyandanch, Roosevelt or Amityville have the reputation they do. Of course there are successful black people. My boss is one of them. But the majority are not motivated to do much else than hang around and feel defeated about not getting a fair shake. There is opportunity for everyone and many people take advantage of it. Many give up and do. It try. I also know black people who are taught to go on welfare as soon as they are eligible. They are encouraged to have baby's at 13 years old without any consideration of finances because Medicaid will pay for it. That is the reality. The parents are teaching their kids this stuff and it goes from generation to generation. Thanks to a president who is helping these people get even more help and therefore, become even more dependent on help, and there is the problem.

I'm black and I was never taught to be dependent on the govt and neither were most black ppl: that is a stereotype. What you are referring to are [many] residents of housing projects/section 8. Yes, blacks make up the highest percentage of those in these programs but these are still not anywhere near the majority of blacks.

There are black majority places like Wheatley Hts, N.Valley Stream and Cambria Heights right in the LI area doing excellently and thriving. And North Amityville isn't even bad anymore. People just like to focus on the negative of black ppl.

However, I do agree that there is a noticeable amount of blacks doing poorly and yes, many are not living up to their potential. Yes, for some it's their behavior. For more, it's not having the network/connections to get them quality jobs; lack of jobs in the local community; a higher amt than whites can't afford a car/insurance/maintenance so they can't get to the major job centers like Melville, Hauppauge, Bohemia which have NO LIRR stop.

I'm not just knitpicking and making up excuses, if you really got to know your "black friends who are taught to go on welfare without consideration of finances" then i'm sure these barriers would come up.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the well written response. I never said all black people. I am just saying that, being white, I have limited number of black friends and acquaintances and they tell me the same thing I wrote. My good black friend wouldn't even live in a black neighborhood. He said he isn't living with those "brothers" who don't cut their grass and let their house go to hell. He was trying to buy a house in Massapequa in the 90s. The real estate agent kept showing him houses in east Massapequa. He asked why they were doing this and was told that there was no way they were able to sell him a house in Massapequa without being blacklisted.

The only way he could buy in Wheatley Heights, which is a very mixed community now, was to have his white friend go though all the motions and at closing, he showed up and said he wa the buyer. But, he is the first person to admit that his race is undesirable and leech off of society. Not all of them. He is very successful. I can see what he means. I live in Farmingdale and a black family just moved next door to me. They keep to themselves but already, their grass is 10" high. The family across the street had an open house and when a family from Brooklyn asked what the story is with the house next door was, and then saw the neighbors, he said he wasn't interested in living on this street. It isn't just a matter of skin color. It is the stereotype that goes along with it. Many time, the stereotype is correct. Not wanting to live across the street from someone who lets their home look shabby is no more prejudice than not agreeing with Obama's policies because they are not good ones. It isn't always about race. Is is about substance. I would not want to live in a neighborhood with white people who let their house go to hell any more than I would want a white president who forces anyone to buy health insurance and fine them if they do not. I am sorry if this sounds racist but if it does, it is only because this sick society is trying to be so politically correct that no one can tell it like it is anymore. I will say what I feel no matter who it bothers. If you slammed an Italian guy for doing something wrong, I wouldn't be offended.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:44 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Right. I recall that the mall was originally part of Amityville but they re-zoned it so that the taxes brought in by the Mall would go to Massapequa. It was around 1973 when the mall was built and there was some noise about it back then.
I never heard of this and its very interesting. It kind of shows how the wealthier and more influential wins the game like Massapequa vs. Amityville.

Btw someone said a few posts back that East Massapequa is in Suffolk County. East Massapequa is in NASSAU County.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:57 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default Why is East Massapequa in Amityville School District?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
Who on earth is responsible for school zoning on LI? Massapequa is in Nassau County, Amityville is in Suffolk County. Amityville Schools are some the worst on LI. Why is East Massapequa forced to send their children across county lines to Amityville. Will someone please explain this?
Just a guess but at one time the Massapequas were very sparsely populated even by rural standards. The soil was not that good and much of the land area was covered by some kind of oak brush forest, somewhat similar to the Pine Barrens. The northern part of Massapequa Park was called the Bushy Plains.

In contrast, by the 1800s Amityville was already becoming a resort area. Drive through the village and you will see many older houses. Amityville was the main community in the immediate area so naturally residents living right by the border in Nassau felt it was easier to get to Amityville then somewhere much further away.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,669 times
I know this is old post but still feel it is relavent today. My question is do residents of east massapequa have the ability to vote in any elections like mayor of amityville. I would assume the mayor has some say in what happens in with some things related to the schools. Now if the residents of east massapequa can't vote doesn't that a present a conflict in that you have no way to have a voice in who may be elected in to a position that will directly affect you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island