Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:56 PM

125 posts, read 471,853 times

Advertisements

Who on earth is responsible for school zoning on LI? Massapequa is in Nassau County, Amityville is in Suffolk County. Amityville Schools are some the worst on LI. Why is East Massapequa forced to send their children across county lines to Amityville. Will someone please explain this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,692 times
Don't ask, just make sure when you look for a house, look in Massapequa schools.

There are parts of Huntington that can be in Huntington, S. Huntington, Elwood, West Hills, etc. It makes no sense, really.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:35 PM

35 posts, read 125,997 times
The reason is b/c most of east Massapequa are African Americans. Hate to say it but its the truth.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 PM

#1, demographics change. It could be that the schools suck and that's who bought in the area.

#2, it's only 12% black as of 2000.

//www.city-data.com/city/East-M...-New-York.html

Old 05-07-2007, 10:21 PM

Turbogirl- Why should that make a difference? It's public school for heavens sake.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:28 PM

It's not even true... HELLOOOOOOOO. People make things up on this site just to either bad mouth LI, or NY, or just to get a rise out of people. HOW CAN AN AREA WITH 12% black people be called a place with MOSTLY black people.

You know she's some bleeding heart...African Americans? C'mon, drop that PC bs. Black people don't even use that term unless they're pulling the race card. It's dopey, most of these people have nothing to do with Africa, and never will.

Damnit, why don't people use European Americans, then? WOO HOO.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
Who on earth is responsible for school zoning on LI? Massapequa is in Nassau County, Amityville is in Suffolk County. Amityville Schools are some the worst on LI. Why is East Massapequa forced to send their children across county lines to Amityville. Will someone please explain this?
Students in East Massapequa attend schools in three districts. West of Carmen's Road students attend Massapequa Public schools. This area is generally thought of Massapequa Park as it has the Massapequa park mailing address and zipcode. East of Carmen's Road, students attend Amityville district schools. While the CDP is fairly racially diverse, the two school districts serve as a split. The portions of the CDP within the Massapequa school district is about 95% white, however the portion of the CDP within the Amityville school district is very racially diverse with almost as mnay African Americans as their are whites. Also, a small portion of the CDP (on both sides of Carmen's Road, just south of the Southern State Parkway) attend farmingdale district schools.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:44 PM

Good info GCGuy, you know your stuff. I find it unusual that public schools in two different Counties would share a school.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:27 PM

259 posts, read 939,036 times
Years ago when it was all Rural farm Land East Massapequa as well as parts of Massapequa Nassau belonged to Suffolk county. And Massapequa residents both Nassau and Suffolk attended Amityville schools. In the 1950's Massapequa's Suffolk section was transfered back to Nassau county and Massapequa formed there own school districts. When Nassau and Suffolk counties readjusted their Boundarys East Massapequa remained in Amityville schools. The reason was at that time East Massapequa was undeveloped marshland with few residents and nonexistant Municipal services. County planners and school board members thought nobody would ever live in East Massapequa and forgot about the areas schools.

Last edited by Dee62; 05-07-2007 at 11:53 PM..

Old 05-08-2007, 12:07 AM

35 posts, read 125,997 times
Gees, I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. It just didn't make any sense to me that E. Massapequa home owners paying Massapequa taxes have to send their kids to Amityville public schools. Last year I was interested in buying a home in E. Mass, until I found out that the school district would be Amityville. I actually don't know that much about the area. Someone mentioned to me about Massapequa not wanting their district integrated. I am actually glad to read the real reason the districts are divided, great info. I am actually looking into Bay shore which is a little better than Amityville. Amityville is actually a great area depending on where you live. I love that the area is centrally located and close to everything. The village is certainly full of charm and history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island