Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:36 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,779 times

Advertisements

i know of some people in my office who spend almost an hour on the subway commuting in from queens... i'm an hour and a half door to door from northport to my office near gct... i think that marginal half hour is absolutely worth it to have my own yard, my own house, my own trees, etc...

during late spring, summer and early fall, there is still plenty of time to enjoy my home/yard after work...

i'd rather have my kids grow up being able to ride their bikes on the street or play in the yard as opposed to having to use the sidewalk or an asphalted 'playground'

but its all about your preferences... obviously mine is not to live and raise a family in the city

also, while people complain about rising fares on the lirr/nyct ... they are not immune from the rising costs that all of us face ... my oil prices have gone up, my gasoline prices have gone up, my electric rates have gone up, etc...

unless the mta strikes oil somewhere, they are as much 'victims' of ever increasing costs as we all are... unless aid comes from the state or the feds, there's only one way to pay the bills...

i occasionally drive into the city (couple of times a year) and it's bearable since it is a break from the norm, but i have no idea how people can think its better than sitting on a train and reading / watching a dvd/ sleeping / having a coffee or beer... sure the trains are late now and then, but for the most part (usually almost every day) i'm home at the same time every night... i'd tend to doubt that people driving home arrive at the same time everynight considering rain / snow, accidents, traffic, detours, etc...

between parking, gas, increased maintenance, quicker turnover on vehicle life, i'd really doubt that driving is any cheaper... of course if i drove in, i could smoke a cigar on the way home ... i may need to rethink this after all

ok, i think i've worn out my keyboard here...

Last edited by ENFD240; 11-22-2009 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 11:55 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
i know of some people in my office who spend almost an hour on the subway commuting in from queens... i'm an hour and a half door to door from northport to my office near gct... i think that marginal half hour is absolutely worth it to have my own yard, my own house, my own trees, etc...

during late spring, summer and early fall, there is still plenty of time to enjoy my home/yard after work...

i'd rather have my kids grow up being able to ride their bikes on the street or play in the yard as opposed to having to use the sidewalk or an asphalted 'playground'

but its all about your preferences... obviously mine is not to live and raise a family in the city

also, while people complain about rising fares on the lirr/nyct ... they are not immune from the rising costs that all of us face ... my oil prices have gone up, my gasoline prices have gone up, my electric rates have gone up, etc...

unless the mta strikes oil somewhere, they are as much 'victims' of ever increasing costs as we all are... unless aid comes from the state or the feds, there's only one way to pay the bills...

i occasionally drive into the city (couple of times a year) and it's bearable since it is a break from the norm, but i have no idea how people can think its better than sitting on a train and reading / watching a dvd/ sleeping / having a coffee or beer... sure the trains are late now and then, but for the most part (usually almost every day) i'm home at the same time every night... i'd tend to doubt that people driving home arrive at the same time everynight considering rain / snow, accidents, traffic, detours, etc...

between parking, gas, increased maintenance, quicker turnover on vehicle life, i'd really doubt that driving is any cheaper... of course if i drove in, i could smoke a cigar on the way home ... i may need to rethink this after all

ok, i think i've worn out my keyboard here...

Rule #1 for the area: Its not distance, its travel time.

Try it from Douglaston or College Point....so close yet so far.

I'd be furious to spend an hour on a train (or worse a Bus) to get out and still be in the city.

I imagine parts of Nassau are feeling that way now due to how urban some of those areas have become over the past 20 years.
Many people moved to Nassau to get out of the City, but sadly parts of Nassau have become a victim of their own success.

You make an excellent point. I do think that QOL is definitely worth the extra 30 min ...maybe even an hour.
Some may disagree but I'd be willing to forego that extra time at home to actually love what Im coming home to.

You cant merely choose by commute, there's just way too much at stake.
I want to raise my family in a town worth living in and it ought not be all about convenience.

JMHO.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-22-2009 at 12:16 PM..

Old 11-22-2009, 05:05 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Just for the heck of it, anybody know what the commute is along Little East Neck Rd. from say Zito's in West Babylon to Melville?

Old 11-22-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Just for the heck of it, anybody know what the commute is along Little East Neck Rd. from say Zito's in West Babylon to Melville?

I used to make it from Babylon Village to Pinelawn in about 15min up 109.

Crooks

Old 11-22-2009, 06:05 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
I would never do a commute more than 45 mins door to door. Just my opinion. My time is very valuable. I was lucky enough to get a degree that allows me to make the same amount of money wether working in NYC or the island. Thank god.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:25 PM

341 posts, read 1,535,972 times
I commuted from cedar beach in Mt. Sinai to Times Square for 4 years... 2.5hrs door to door. It was def a strain, but in the end was worth it to live on the beach. I had started work as a TV writer, so I actually got a lot of side work done on the train and made the time worth while.

Lived in Manhattan for years, commuting 20 minutes on the subway uptown. It was great Monday-Friday, but my leisure time because like work - running out to the island to use the boat (I fish a lot), running back. Living in Manhattan was great, overall... but expensive, little space... blah blah.

We moved back to Huntington this Fall. 1:45 to the office - so far, so good. I can telecommute a day a week or so and we're back by the beach and have some space.

If you haven't done the commute before, def RENT and try it out.

FYI, Ronkonkoma might still be a better train line for you than Smithtown. Trains run more often. The PJ line east of Huntington can be a killer.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
I commuted from cedar beach in Mt. Sinai to Times Square for 4 years... 2.5hrs door to door. It was def a strain, but in the end was worth it to live on the beach. I had started work as a TV writer, so I actually got a lot of side work done on the train and made the time worth while.

Lived in Manhattan for years, commuting 20 minutes on the subway uptown. It was great Monday-Friday, but my leisure time because like work - running out to the island to use the boat (I fish a lot), running back. Living in Manhattan was great, overall... but expensive, little space... blah blah.

We moved back to Huntington this Fall. 1:45 to the office - so far, so good. I can telecommute a day a week or so and we're back by the beach and have some space.

If you haven't done the commute before, def RENT and try it out.

FYI, Ronkonkoma might still be a better train line for you than Smithtown. Trains run more often. The PJ line east of Huntington can be a killer.

Great insight.

1:45 from Huntington?
(I though it was an hour ish per this board?)

2.5 from Mt Sinai seems awfully long unless you left from PJ.
(1.30-1.45 out of Ronkonkoma I would think?)

Did you walk from Penn to Times Sq?

Do you miss Cedar Beach?
Its pretty nice.

Crooks

Old 11-22-2009, 08:01 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
I think MOST of the time people live far because they cannot afford to live close to the city in the type of neighborhood they like to live.
Time spent on the LIRR or LIE is absurd and stupid !! For the past 10 years I have been able to live within 3 miles from work. More time at home is a blessing and unless the only job I can find is in the city I have no intention to spend 4 hours on travel everyday.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I think MOST of the time people live far because they cannot afford to live close to the city in the type of neighborhood they like to live.
Time spent on the LIRR or LIE is absurd and stupid !! For the past 10 years I have been able to live within 3 miles from work. More time at home is a blessing and unless the only job I can find is in the city I have no intention to spend 4 hours on travel everyday.

Dead wrong on all counts.

Miller Place is as costly as Massapequa.
Southold is more expensive than Seaford.

People have different priorities and many telecommute one or two days.
Its not your Fathers Island.

Crooks

Old 11-22-2009, 08:30 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Dead wrong on all counts.

Miller Place is as costly as Massapequa.
Southold is more expensive than Seaford.

People have different priorities and many telecommute one or two days.
Its not your Fathers Island.

Crooks
Ha Ha !! I did say "most" didn't I ? I do not want to talk about exceptions here, anyway.... When you began to highlight my reply, you left out the few last words from my complete sentence, I do not know abt Miller place (I guess its the best place on the planet ?? ) and neither know Massapequa, but as per my condition, if I'm looking to commute to Manhattan and if they both are the type of town I want to live in, I will choose Massapequa for sure, as you said people have different priorities, mine lies closer to home !
Peace !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island