Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 02:51 PM

730 posts, read 1,301,513 times

Advertisements

I remember Bohacks. :-) Thanks for the blast from the past!

I also remember when we had Gristedes' here on LI. My parents always shopped at the local A&P and also at a smaller chain (?) called Sunrise Supermarkets.

My dad worked for 40 years for NCR (National Cash Register Company) in Hempstead; his job was to fix all those cash registers, and I remember him saying that the supermarket ones were the ones most often in need of repair because of the constant use.

When cash registers began to be phased out, NCR switched its focus to check scanning machines instead. So then my dad went for retraining in Dayton, Ohio to learn how to fix those, LOL. Worked for about 10 years as in-house repairman at the European American Bank in Uniondale.

NCR now makes ATMs. Nothing like staying where the money is, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 12:40 PM

38 posts, read 52,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathersson45 View Post
My father worked in the 30th year until max. 1938 at Bochacks. Then my parents goes back to Germany. My father died on 4.04.1945 in the last days of the 2nd world war, so I could not ask him about the photo. It was made in front of the Bochak's grocery store in NY. Who can tell me the name of the street of this store. May be in Brooklyn, because my parents live at that time in Brooklyn. Is there anybody who knows the man on the left side ? Thank you very much indeed for help. Sorry about my bad english knowledges.
That store was located at 621 Wilson Avenue in Brooklyn.
Here is a link to a robbery that occurred there on January 15, 1937 (last paragraph of the 'Bandits' story).

http://fultonhistory.com/newspaper%2...20-%209004.pdf

Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 PM

9 posts, read 20,357 times
Default 5 gal. H.C.Bohack's oil can

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Hello, I have a really nice 5 gal. A.B.C.superior quality motor oil can Sold by H.C.Bohack. I think this must really be a rare oil can. The price for 5 gal. of oil was $1.75 ! I would say it has to be from the 1920's or possibly the 30's. I was wondering how many gas staitions did they have? I've been looking for weeks on the net and I only saw one other Bohacks oil can and it wasn't in great condition.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masticbeachlover View Post
Does anyone remember Bohack Village supermarkets on long island?
One on Northern Blvd in Little Neck. Also used to be a chain called Hills where Parthmart in Garden City Park is.

I also liked Edwards a lot

Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Wait...was Edward's (at one time) Finast? Or vice versa?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,821 times
Exclamation Cheesecake holy grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGal54 View Post
We were just talking about Bohack's the other night. We always shopped there and one thing that will forever live in my memory was the cheesecake they sold. I've never had another one like it anywhere, ever. Is there any where that I could get the recipe? I make a NY cheesecake- recipe from the Waldorf Astoria, and although indecently rich and delicious, it doesn't compare. If there's any way that you could help me with locating the recipe, I surely would appreciate it!!
This cheesecake is the reason I googled Bohack. SOMEBODY must know how to bake the best cheesecake ever made. It was light and fluffy, not rich and thick, slightly browned on top, so it likely had to be whipped & baked. I think you could get it with pineapple or cherry, but the plain was "to die for." If anybody out there knows how to bake this, you could do the world's taste buds a big favor. My friend is a gourmet who bakes independently for The Cheesecake Factory and I have been trying to explain it to him. Help us all, somebody must have the recepie !!!

Old 05-30-2015, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,727 times
My great aunt and uncle were Henrietta and Paul Bohack. I grew up in Copiague, NY. There was also a store on the corner of Great Neck Rd and Oak St in Copiague. I remember going to their house many times in Huntington. They were wonderful people. I do miss them very much.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
Default Bohack PJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ACTR View Post
Cadillac811 , you wouldn't , by any chance , remember the name of the coffee shop that was next to that Bohacks , would you ? I seem to recall it was MARTINSONS but I could be wrong.
The cafe was owned by Bill Martin and I think it was called just Martin's

Old 08-05-2022, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 354 times
Default Henry C Bohack

Anyone know of Henry C Bohack? Past presidents of the Bohack company?

Old 08-14-2022, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 6,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-NY View Post
Was that or it became Great Eastern Mills.
Great Eastern Mills was the first store, then TSS, now Home Depot.
The store on the right was originally Hills Supermarket, then Walbaum's, now Marshall's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island