Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 7,438 times

Advertisements

The Huntington Bohack supermarket was actually situated on West Neck Rd, between Main (25A) Street and Gerard Street. The Double D Deli and the Citibank now occupy that space that went all the way back to where the cross through is. Little Professor Book Store sprung up on the back side of the former Bohack space in the mid 70's. The A&P was the nearest rival supermarket that has become Wild By Nature of today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 02:20 PM

5,512 posts, read 7,105,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
There was one in Smithtown, in that shopping center near where Howard Johnson's used to be. I suddenly realize that is a lousy reference. The shopping center was the only one in Smithtown at that time, and it had two markets, of which Bohack was one. I remember they had no conveyor belts at the register. You put your groceries on a counter inside a wooden U-shaped box, and the cash register person would slide the U-shaped device and bring all the groceries down to the register. Then they would slide it bac for the next cusomer's groceries. The shopping center was opposite Landing Avenue on Rte. 25.

Wasn't there also an A&P in that shopping center too? Now that I think of it I also remember Whelens too.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 AM

815 posts, read 2,051,974 times
Yes, A&P on one end (closest to HoJo), PO near A&P, then Penny's, Whelan's, a few other stores (bakery, Deli, toy store) and Bohacks. Then a Sears catalog store moved in across the street from Bohacks. It was the very first shopping center in Smithtown, and Mom and all my Aunt's found it most convenient. We kids used to walk across Main St. and west to a sporting goods shop called Bishop's, where we would buy hooks and sinkers and line. My how things have changed there!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,110 times
I had a route and delivered to east northport and the huntinton store toward their end i had to call my supplier before each delivery dailey to make sure they were able to pay for the merch.as they were under chapter 11.Was sad as they were a good chain to do bussiness with.The Bohack in Locust Valley was one of my 1st PT jobs while in school that store would deliver to all the big estates in the area Im talking early 50s.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:01 PM

49 posts, read 114,401 times
Yep. Bohack in Cedarhurst on Central Avenue. Also -- one by the Woodmere train station. Those were the days.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:49 PM

5,512 posts, read 7,105,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
Yes, A&P on one end (closest to HoJo), PO near A&P, then Penny's, Whelan's, a few other stores (bakery, Deli, toy store) and Bohacks. Then a Sears catalog store moved in across the street from Bohacks. It was the very first shopping center in Smithtown, and Mom and all my Aunt's found it most convenient. We kids used to walk across Main St. and west to a sporting goods shop called Bishop's, where we would buy hooks and sinkers and line. My how things have changed there!

I think that was DutchMaid Bakery. Awesome cheesecake they had.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,682 times
as a kid my mom took me to bohacks in north bellmore. it was located on the corner of bellmore ave. and newbridge rd. . and if she did not want to shop there she loaded us up in the car and went to either hills brothers or the a&p on jerusalem ave. all were located in north bellmore . or she went to the big apple

Old 05-24-2010, 07:02 PM

7,924 posts, read 9,149,301 times
One in Bellerose/Queens Village in Queens. I remember if you bought the cheap sneakers they sold (Fruit of the Loom maybe?), you were teased as having "Bohacks off the racks"

Old 06-28-2010, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,572 times
And don't forget the relatively large Bohack's located at the intersection of Main Street and the Long Island Expressway (on the westbound service road) in Flushing. When the supermarket closed in about 1975, it stood vacant for a few years before the Palace Diner opened in the space (it's been the diner for the past 30 years).

And let's not forget other former late, great Long Island/NYC supermarkets...does anyone remember Pantry Pride, or Dan's Supreme, or Hills (owned by Korvettes Dept. Store), or Grand Union?

Old 06-28-2010, 03:34 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Yup, used to go to the one in Ronkonkoma with my mom when I was little. Really little!
Where was that located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island