Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 10:24 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,248,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post

Saying that it is not the gateway is just plain blind and stupid or just a excuse to try and get people to believe pot is like cigarettes, it is NOT.
I disagree. Good old alcohol is far more destructive and more of a 'gateway' drug than weed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 11:56 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,750,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't think I've met anyone under the age of 65 who buys that "marijuana gateway drug" hysteria crap anymore. If anything cigarettes and alcohol are the gateways, but whatever, the drug war is an obvious failure. A giant black hole of tax payers money and criminalizing a bunch of people for what? Because Nixon hated the hippies?

I do think that pharma companies need to be more responsible, but in the end, isn't it doctors over-prescribing this stuff who are responsible? or are the pharma companies incentive-izing them to prescribe? I mean, I went to the doctor with a mild back ache and he writes me out a prescription for Oxycodone...I didn't fill it, took Ibuprofen instead. Why is this stuff so easy to get? I never heard of Oxy or anything like that when i was in high school. Nobody did opiates, I guess if they had been in pill form they might have.
Yeah man, it's a complete sham. No one did oxy, vics in high school. The gateway drug theory is the biggest lie ever told about pot. Both systems setup to cater to BIG Pharma & the Prison system. There are definitely drug-dealer type doctors that are just as dirty. But the suppliers and our lawmakers that allow legal heroin to be sold are the main criminals. (can apply to Soma, Vics, and other generic substitutes as well). Instead of throwing them in prison for life and fining the company into obvlivion, these white collar criminal drug dealers get slaps on the wrist.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/16/bu...html?src=busln

Quote:
In 2007, Purdue Frederick, an affiliate of Purdue Pharma, and the three men pleaded guilty to criminal charges that the company had misled doctors and patients by claiming for five years that OxyContin was less prone to abuse than similar drugs because it was a long-acting narcotic.

Quote:
This is why JAILS need to be JAILS

The use of any illegal drug is the gateway..

As i pointed out above, you buy from a dealer, i have seen many pot users need to get a more potent weed, and pot has many different brands, some stronger then others.
Next, you want something more, you ask your dealer and he recommends this, might be laced with a little something extra..

Saying that it is not the gateway is just plain blind and stupid or just a excuse to try and get people to believe pot is like cigarettes, it is NOT.

Pills being prescribed by a doctor are another issue, and i can say since i have severe back issues, i have never been prescribed oxy.
Never anything more than vic's and my doctors know i have a high tolerance for pain killers and vics do nothing, not even help a headache.
I disagree that any "illegal" drug is the gateway. Just because they made heroin (Oxycontin) legal via pill form and to benefit Big Pharma, does not make it any less dangerous. In fact, soma, vicotin & oxy are FAR MORE Dangerous than a little marijuana. Pot has never directly killed anyone. Whereas these scum that made heroin legal have killed hundreds of thousands of people (mostly people that mix them or abuse them). Not only that, they created millions of drug slaves$$ via legalizing it.
I agree with dman, this "war on drugs' is the biggest sham in history. People need to realize our govt is in cahoots with big pharma and the prison system (another huge business). If they legalized pot, we wouldn't need to waste tax dollars on half the prison guards to babysit supposed "felons" that were caught with hemp. They won't legalize pot because the govt & corporations CANT make $ off it.
Another little tidbit to support legalizing it. Have you ever tried medical marijuana?? Holy crap, 1 hit and you are in heaven--because it is "Pure" clean marijuana. I don't smoke pot, but when I did I realized that making it illegal actually harms users. Because it goes through many layers of dealers, and some of these dealers mix bud with the non-thc parts to fatten up their bags -- they then "spray" the double sized bag with raid and other nasty chemicals to give a "high" effect, but not a good one.

-- another thought I just had. Making pot illegal actually gives it the notoriety of a gateway drug. If people are buying from dealers, there's a good chance the dealers will push harder drugs on them. If people are buying from a store and paying tax on it, what are the chances Apu from the quicky-mart is gonna flash a bag of cocaine with your marlboro purchase? how many cigarette smokers have their 7-11 clerk pushing a little white powder on them when they go buy a pack of cigs??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4CnGaTd9h8

Last edited by Pequaman; 12-18-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 08:46 PM

401 posts, read 945,487 times
Quote:
That's part of the problem behind the "just say no" mentality, though. You demonize something relatively benign like pot (and no, I don't smoke pot but I know plenty of people who do, and I think alcohol is far more destructive), and then in the same breath you demonize speed and heroin, making very little distinction in regard to the severity of the drug.

Then people try pot and they say "wow, they really made this out to be some horribly dangerous stuff, and it isn't. The old people must be lying about everything to keep me from having fun. "

so then that mentality carries on to things that REALLY ARE dangerous.

There's very little reason to keep pot from being legal other than wanting to continue to waste time, money, and prison space on a relatively harmless plant.
Our society is currently on the verge of making smoking cigarettes illegal. Can you imagine if people had to deal with second hand marijuana smoke in addition to cigarette smoke? Is there no damage to the lungs with marijuana? Then, the consequences of driving while impaired. Would the arrest rate go up because more people are using because it is legal? Oh...the unintended consequences....

Old 12-18-2010, 08:54 PM

401 posts, read 945,487 times
Quote:
It's illegal to drive a car while intoxicated already. Making pot legal wouldn't change that. Not that hard to figure out. You sound like my 65 year old dad with his head all full of 60's era anti-hippie propaganda. "Drinking a beer isn't like smoking pot!!! " Eh, yeah, yes is.

A guy on the LIRR can go by a fifth of vodka before going on the train now. Does pot encourage people to use it under inappropriate circumstances more than drinking does?

Weird to hear this kind of nonsense coming from smart people. Think about the fallacy of your argument.
One day you will be a 65 year old dad, maybe lighting up for your grandchildren if you get your way. Yes, drinking beer is like smoking pot. IMPAIRED.

I'm assuming the guy "buying" the fith of vodka on the LIRR was a passenger. However, you are making the argument for us. Alcohol IS legal, and it IS a problem in society. Can we go back and undo things?? NO. But pile on...not the answer.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:16 PM

999 posts, read 2,359,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

I disagree that any "illegal" drug is the gateway. Just because they made heroin (Oxycontin) legal via pill form and to benefit Big Pharma, does not make it any less dangerous. In fact, soma, vicotin & oxy are FAR MORE Dangerous than a little marijuana.

Pot has never directly killed anyone. Whereas these scum that made heroin legal have killed hundreds of thousands of people

Are you high.... pot has never directly killed anyone.... I am not going to even get into the bs that surrounds pot and those killed growing it and transporting it...

Lets see, never killed anyone, DIRECTLY no less..... oh wait, it has killed 2 people, i know because when the high pot head crossed into oncoming traffic and killed 2 people...

High, on pot... While i waited for friends and wondered WTF was taking them so long and being really pissed off figuring they were playing a really F'ed up joke....which i didn't find funny

How relieved i was later to find out that they were less then 15 minutes away, but dead...

Yeah, so tell ME again how pot is harmless,
did you attend the best school system here on long island also? ? you must have...

EVERY illegal drug is the gateway....

Old 12-18-2010, 10:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,248,364 times
Quote:
Are you high.... pot has never directly killed anyone.... I am not going to even get into the bs that surrounds pot and those killed growing it and transporting it...

Lets see, never killed anyone, DIRECTLY no less..... oh wait, it has killed 2 people, i know because when the high pot head crossed into oncoming traffic and killed 2 people...

High, on pot... While i waited for friends and wondered WTF was taking them so long and being really pissed off figuring they were playing a really F'ed up joke....which i didn't find funny

How relieved i was later to find out that they were less then 15 minutes away, but dead...

did you attend the best school system here on long island also? ? you must have...

and the legal ones?

Old 12-19-2010, 01:01 AM

265 posts, read 945,805 times
Weed is only a "gateway drug" because it is illegal and you have to associate yourself with drug dealers to get it, and might be exposed to more drugs in the process.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:00 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,750,780 times
Quote:

Okay, YOU just proved my point.
So did the fact that pot is illegal prevent the accident from happening? nope.

And "those killed growing it and transporting it..." ONLY happens because it is ILLEGAL. The drug cartels wouldn't exist if pot were legal. Is this really that hard for people to see? Look at prohibition and how horrible that worked out. And NO It is NOT a gateway drug...John9l0 just pointed that out right above this post
Quote:
"Weed is only a "gateway drug" because it is illegal and you have to associate yourself with drug dealers to get it, and might be exposed to more drugs in the process."
I actually find it hard to believe that pot causes accidents. And that is not a good reason to make doing the drug entirely illegal. If that's the case, why is alcohol LEGAL? which is 100x worse while driving under? You could make it illegal to smoke n drive and that would still not change the outcome. It's illegal to cater to the prison system (another big social program) and big pharma.

Have you ever smoked pot? It does not mess up your senses like alcohol does (unless it's tainted by dealers). How many people die each year from DWIS? DWI is illegal. Does that PREVENT millions of people from doing it and crashing anyway? You are aware that tens of thousands of people drive under the influence of LEGAL drugs like vicotin, oxys etc and get into accidents all the time from it. So why are those legal? Your logic is flawed.

There's 50,000 vehicular deaths each year. The majority of those have nothing to do with any type of drug or alcohol. A tiny fraction if any are pot related. Should we make driving illegal?

No. Making pot legal would not increase usage at all. 9 out of 10 people that don't smoke weed, don't cite its illegality as the reason not to. It makes you lazy and most people lose interest as they get older. Has nothing to do with illegal vs legal.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:40 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,516,770 times
Quote:
Pills being prescribed by a doctor are another issue, and i can say since i have severe back issues, i have never been prescribed oxy.
Never anything more than vic's and my doctors know i have a high tolerance for pain killers and vics do nothing, not even help a headache.
You realize that Vicodin (Hydrocodone) and Oxycodone are - aside from some very slight chemistry and pharmacology - the SAME EXACT THING, right????

Some of the comments on here....jeez...

"People will think marijuana is like smoking a cigarette" - Please, hahaha...no one will think that unless they find themselves stuck in a 1950s health class slide projector....

EVIL DOPE PUSHER: "HEY LOIS, WANNA SMOKE THIS REEFER CIGARETTE??" :::sprays cat urine all over oregano leaves::: "THIS ONES ON THE HOUSE, BUT NEXT TIME IT'LL COST YA' 5 BONES SWEETHAWT!"

LOIS: "GEE I DUNNO JOHNNY, TEACHER SAYS THAT ONLY HEATHENS AND LOOSE WOMEN DO GRASS!!"

EVIL DOPE PUSHER: "OL' MISTA CRATCHETYDRAWERS? WHAT DOES HE KNOW, DOLLFACE! BESIDES, ALL THE HEPCATS ARE DOIN' IT!"

LOIS' INNER MONOLOGUE: ~~o~~o~~OH NO, I DON'T WANNA LOOK SQUARE IN FRONT OF ALL THE POPULAR CREW, I'LL NEVER GET A DATE TO PROM!~~o~~o~~

LOIS: "ALRITE JOHNNY, I GUESS ONE PUFF CAN'T HURT"

PUFF PUFF PUFF

:::CARTOON BIRDS CIRCLING HEAD:::

LOIS: "OOOOH I FEEL SILLY, I WANNA TAKE OFF MY POODLE SKIRT"

EVIL DOPE PUSHER: "HEY LOOK FELLAS, SHE'S TOTALLY OSSIFIED! LET'S GET HER PREGNANT!!"

LOIS: "NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE JOHNNY, I DON'T WANT NO JUNIOR!! BOBBY FOOTBALL DREAMBOAT WILL NEVER ASK ME TO PROM IF I'M KNOCKED UP!!"

EVIL DOPE PUSHER: "AW NUTS TA THAT LOIS! AIN'TCHA EVER HEARD A' PULLIN' OUT??!!!!"

:::CENSORED:::

:::OMINOUS MUSIC:::

EVIL DOPE PUSHER: "OH NO, SHE'S DEAD! LET'S GO CATCH THAT MONTGOMERY CLIFT PICTURE FELLAS!"

:::TURN TO CHAPTER 8: "YOUR CHANGING BODY, COMMUNISM AND YOU":::
-fin-

Old 12-19-2010, 08:45 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,035,973 times
Think about how many civil disturbances / calls the PoPo has to respond to related to alcohol (the legal drug) vs. marijuana (illegal and readily available to most people)... Legalizing marijuana and TAXING THE LIVING %$#@ out of it, plus adding in the costs recouped from fighting it and jailing the non-violent offenders related to it. Now you're thinking about ways to close up budget gaps.

California - those fools. They had it on a silver platter and too near sighted to realize everyone is getting it anyway and they left BILLIONS of dollars on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island