Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 AM

302 posts, read 590,670 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a house on long island and came across the Hamlet Estates at St. James. The models looked really nice and price seemed reasonable for what they offer. I really liked one of the models they had and haven't seen other houses that I like equally. A couple of things we noticed though... the models were full of upgrades so the prices they were quoting are base prices and could easily go up quite a lot depending on what you select. It's a home owner association community. Anyone have any experiences with home owner associations? Seems like it could get quite restrictive? Their fees are close to $500/month which adds another $6000 yearly on top of the ~18,000 property tax. Do you or anyone you know live in this community? How have they liked it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 04:41 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
I know that the prices of those home dropped big time just bad timing. That are also talking about building townhouses in that development and many owners are not happy about that. The houses are very nice. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
We're looking for a house on long island and came across the Hamlet Estates at St. James. The models looked really nice and price seemed reasonable for what they offer. I really liked one of the models they had and haven't seen other houses that I like equally. A couple of things we noticed though... the models were full of upgrades so the prices they were quoting are base prices and could easily go up quite a lot depending on what you select. It's a home owner association community. Anyone have any experiences with home owner associations? Seems like it could get quite restrictive? Their fees are close to $500/month which adds another $6000 yearly on top of the ~18,000 property tax. Do you or anyone you know live in this community? How have they liked it?

$2,000 a month before you even put a penny towards the mortgage. Ya gotta love Long Island.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:28 PM

127 posts, read 747,896 times
I took a look at these houses when they were going up just to look. Yes they are big and yes they are nice...but.....

I grew up/work in the St. James community. Most people feel that these homes are perhaps the biggest example of bubble-driven hyperconsumption ever created. Now I don't care when anyone chooses to live...but I have to tend to agree. For the cost of the home, HOA fees, taxes.....we are talking 5k/month with a standard 20% down. That's just massive.

If you really wanted to live in St. James/Smithtown Schools (which are very good) and had that kind of money to spend, why not find an old beauty in Head of the Harbor or Nissequogue Villages by the water with much lower taxes, 2 acres of property etc?

Just me feelings/thoughts.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 PM

302 posts, read 590,670 times
I appreciate your opinions. I like the houses but I'm having a hard time justifying the HOA fees, especially when I don't care so much about the amenities they provide. On top of that, I'm iffy about having a group overseeing the community. I've never had experiences with HOA. The property taxes seem in line with the other properties not in the Hamlets. The recent prices have also come down from when they first built them. The houses have similar styles as the previous ones, but are smaller and all are in the range of 700k-800k.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
From a construction standpoint: corners were cut as the houses were slammed together to make the most money for the developer. Give them a few years before cracks, sags and leaks start.

You'll be spending a lot of money for a mediocre-built house in a lousy location.

Who really wants to spend that much money to be in a neighborhood overlooking the mall, the back of Sports Authority and the delightful Nesconset Hwy? Forget about traffic in the area when the holiday shopping starts. EEK!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
From a construction standpoint: corners were cut as the houses were slammed together to make the most money for the developer. Give them a few years before cracks, sags and leaks start.

You'll be spending a lot of money for a mediocre-built house in a lousy location.

Who really wants to spend that much money to be in a neighborhood overlooking the mall, the back of Sports Authority and the delightful Nesconset Hwy? Forget about traffic in the area when the holiday shopping starts. EEK!
I agree - the houses are way too close to 347 to pay that sort of money, in my opinion. I'd rather have an older house (60s-70s-80s) for the same money a bit further up north for a more rural feel.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Oh, this is the subdivision where they built the 10 foot high "berm" to block out the highway? They want 800K with 18K taxes for a house in there that you have to deal with 347 on weekends to go anywhere? Unbelievable.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:57 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Have to agree with the above poster. If you want a McMansion you can do a lot better than that.

And if you have that kind of money to spend, just playing devil's advocate here regarding house style, age of house (which will be ancient compared to a new one), and area, I recently found a house that I would definitely take a look at if I were moving back east. It's a one story house built around 1950 and the location is quite good. MLS #2206048 located on Rhododendron Drive. I can pretty much guarantee the house is built much better than what the rip-off builder is trying to palm off on unsuspecting buyers to turn a profit over by Rte. 347. The only thing I would add is another garage.

This one is listed at $945K (you can probably get it down to about $875K), taxes are $11,763, no HOA's, and is on roughly 2 acres with lots of woods so you don't have to mow much grass. And the area is beautiful (very close to Avalon Park). If you have the time take a look - it may give you another perspective and open up new ideas regarding locations.

And btw, it's in TVCSD.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:07 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snad5393 View Post
I took a look at these houses when they were going up just to look. Yes they are big and yes they are nice...but.....

I grew up/work in the St. James community. Most people feel that these homes are perhaps the biggest example of bubble-driven hyperconsumption ever created. Now I don't care when anyone chooses to live...but I have to tend to agree. For the cost of the home, HOA fees, taxes.....we are talking 5k/month with a standard 20% down. That's just massive.

If you really wanted to live in St. James/Smithtown Schools (which are very good) and had that kind of money to spend, why not find an old beauty in Head of the Harbor or Nissequogue Villages by the water with much lower taxes, 2 acres of property etc?

Just me feelings/thoughts.
(nodding my head) I agree that for that scratch I would find a nice quiet place in Head of the Harbor or Nissequogue. Beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island