Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:56 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times

Advertisements

Aren't there wheels in the works to incorporate Mastic Beach? This may help the community from any possible backward slide.

I remember years ago they wanted to change the name of the Mastic/Shirley area to "Floyd Harbor"....don't think it ever sprouted wings though.

So what is it? No one can agree....Is the Point becoming more or less Rocky, and is the Beach becoming more or less Sound....

Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Aren't there wheels in the works to incorporate Mastic Beach? This may help the community from any possible backward slide.

I remember years ago they wanted to change the name of the Mastic/Shirley area to "Floyd Harbor"....don't think it ever sprouted wings though.

So what is it? No one can agree....Is the Point becoming more or less Rocky, and is the Beach becoming more or less Sound....

Truth be told if the Tri Hamlet area would stop with the infighting and fix the Schools it could be a GREAT place to live.

A village for Mastic Beach would be fantastic.

Crooks

Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,228,861 times
OMG...those people are moving in....neighborhoods are getting worse. You people, give me a freaking break. Show us a link to statistics backing up your claims!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Hewlett Harbor is really going down the tubes. Three murders already this year...

Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Elmont, Valley Stream, Glen Cove, Baldwin, Hempstead, Freeport, Roosevelt, Uniondale...just to name a few.
+2 on this post. No "proof" necessary. We live in these towns and see for ourselves how they have deteriorated with gangs, crime, drugs, etc. No it isn't like the really bad areas of Brooklyn and the Bronx yet, but heading that way.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:52 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Truth be told if the Tri Hamlet area would stop with the infighting and fix the Schools it could be a GREAT place to live.

A village for Mastic Beach would be fantastic.

Crooks
First they'd need to get rid of all the sex offender and crappy rentals. The rez keeps the area down too

And the new shopping center they just built on the corner of Montauk highway and william floyd IS called Floyd Harbor

Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 PM

90 posts, read 216,695 times
well I am moving back to li in a few weeks, from what I have read on this forum I was safer in Kandahar and falujah than I will be if I get out of the car before I get east of riverhead... who knew

Old 04-15-2010, 01:16 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Plainview, Commack, Dix Hills, Melville, Syosset, Woodbury, Mount Sinai....
Alright that was somewhat entertaining back on April Fools but if this board keeps going this route in every thread how are people supposed to trust any response anymore?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:35 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
I love this place!
Medford? Medford was "Better" a "Decade" ago?
Coram? Yeah, it's really going downhill.

Mt Sinai is MUCH worse now than it used to be. Property taxes are through the roof, traffic is horrible and actually getting worse.
But there are no black people so it's ok.
Matter of fact, Port Jeff is worse (See "Gangs" in the Station and nothing, I mean NOTHING, beats tourist traffic), Miller Place, Sound Beach and Rocky Point are also worse than they were from increased traffic.
Any neighborhood associated with Sachem is arguably worse now than ever. I know quite a few people disappointed with the almighty Sachem SD.
You people have an odd way of judging things.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:38 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliman353 View Post
Which areas of Long Island are getting worse?
I know Brentwood, north bellport, mastic, central islip, n ba shore, wyandanch, north babylon, north amittyville, coram, port jefferson station, and huntington station.

Huntington Station is not getting worse; it went through an upswing aprox 15 years ago and stabilized. It is what it is.
Same can be said for Port Jeff Station. The damage there is at least 15 yrs old and was never rectified.
Mastic is what it is. It hasn't gotten beter or worse.
The rest of the areas you listed are also stabil. They are horrible, but not getting "Worse".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island