Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 AM

496 posts, read 1,250,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Funny. I went to LI public schools all of my life and I am not some degenerate junkie. Went to college, got my B.S. and work full time making a decent salary.

What's with the hate of LI public schools?
alright. let me try to answer this. Getting a Bachelor's degree should be a given. Getting a Master's degree should be expected, getting a PhD should be a goal. You getting a B.S. is not a product of LI schools, it's something you should have done any way.
I am not a product of LI public schools. If you want the truth, I come from a war torn country, but was educated by (my humble opinion) best educators, maybe not best educated educators, but educators working for crumbs, making sure all children got a chance, and went beyond what they thought they could do.
Do I think that of LI public teachers? I would, if in this economy, saw hundreds of teachers, if not, all of them saying, economy is hurting all right now, we will take a pay cut to make sure, LIslanders don't get hit with higher taxes. that would show me commitment and love for their jobs and children they teach.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Anyone on LI paying over $10K in property taxes is most definitely paying for their child's education, regardless of whether they attend public school or Catholic school.
not true. my daughter was in need for 'something' which we applied for through the public school system and were denied. It was something that would have ensured she didn't fall behind in school. We were basically told, she needs to fail, then evaluated again (to make sure she's wayyyyy behind) for them to consider. is THAT what I am paying for?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triboro bridge View Post
People who send their kids to public schools aren't paying for their kids' education, they are paying to live in that particular area.

People who send their kids to Catholic school are paying for their kids' education.

Don't confuse the two.
I'm not confused. I live in the Herricks school district and have paid for my kids education via my property taxes for the past 11 years. One of the first things any real estate agent mentions when selling a house in my area is the fact that it's located in the Herricks school district. I've seen plenty of people buy houses that need tons of work where I live. They don't care about the condition of the house as much as they care about buying into the Herricks school district. There's most definitely a connection between property taxes and the school district, at least where I live.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:15 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
The reason why I send the kids to Catholic school is not for the religion. They are in smaller classes, a smaller school and the teachers are great. I am sure there are many public school teachers who are wonderful ; I personally know one who is fantastic. We have one nun in our school now.
After hearing this weekend that if my son went to the local school, he would have over 600 in the grade. Right now, he has 42 in the whole grade. There is a certain expectation of respect, discipline and a certain expectation of grades.

I think that the focus is more on education and striving to be your best in this environment.

The Catholic high schools are doing good ; but they are much more expensive than the elementary. However, I am not afraid that they will close. St. John's and St. Anthony's have a decent enrollment. Mercy McGann in Riverhead has about 400 and rising. I wish there was more high schools to choose from.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 AM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
not true. my daughter was in need for 'something' which we applied for through the public school system and were denied. It was something that would have ensured she didn't fall behind in school. We were basically told, she needs to fail, then evaluated again (to make sure she's wayyyyy behind) for them to consider. is THAT what I am paying for?
It's true in my case and I think it's true for the majority of parents on LI. My kids have gone to Center Street Elementary and Herricks Middle school. Anytime they needed anything, they got it. One of my son's has an IEP and he gets above and beyond what he needs. My reasons for moving away are many but I'd whole-heartedly recommend my school district to anyone able to afford the property taxes that accompany it.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:21 AM

6 posts, read 6,251 times
Quote:
I'm not confused. I live in the Herricks school district and have paid for my kids education via my property taxes for the past 11 years. One of the first things any real estate agent mentions when selling a house in my area is the fact that it's located in the Herricks school district. I've seen plenty of people buy houses that need tons of work where I live. They don't care about the condition of the house as much as they care about buying into the Herricks school district. There's most definitely a connection between property taxes and the school district, at least where I live.
I'm not saying there isn't, don't confuse the issue. You live in an area and you pay the taxes irrespective of school district utilization. Parents who send their kids to public schools indirectly pay for their child's education, but at the end of the day they are paying for their house. If they pay more for a particular school district, their house is valued as such (and they receive that benefit upon sale).

I'm kind of shocked that you can't see that there's a big difference between living in a house and paying taxes versus actually paying for tuition costs. This isn't exactly an intellectually challenging concept.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
It's true in my case and I think it's true for the majority of parents on LI. My kids have gone to Center Street Elementary and Herricks Middle school. Anytime they needed anything, they got it. One of my son's has an IEP and he gets above and beyond what he needs. My reasons for moving away are many but I'd whole-heartedly recommend my school district to anyone able to afford the property taxes that accompany it.
so we were (in) the minority, and just got hit with bad luck. why? how can you say the majority of LI parents? do you read those posts on this forum (LI section) about parents asking what they can do to get their services for their children. they're in the minority to? please stop generalizing. the experience of ONE parent (mine or yours) does not show the true picture of LI schools. this idea of NY is the best, is what gets us in trouble the most when traveling outside NY (yes, I just said US, 18 months here qualifies me as an LIer)

Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by triboro bridge View Post
I'm not saying there isn't, don't confuse the issue. You live in an area and you pay the taxes irrespective of school district utilization. Parents who send their kids to public schools indirectly pay for their child's education, but at the end of the day they are paying for their house. If they pay more for a particular school district, their house is valued as such (and they receive that benefit upon sale).

I'm kind of shocked that you can't see that there's a big difference between living in a house and paying taxes versus actually paying for tuition costs. This isn't exactly an intellectually challenging concept.
I'm not the least bit confused. I sent my oldest son to Chaminade and have utilized the public schools for all of my boys. There's a strong connection between property taxes and school districts.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:37 AM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
so we were (in) the minority, and just got hit with bad luck. why? how can you say the majority of LI parents? do you read those posts on this forum (LI section) about parents asking what they can do to get their services for their children. they're in the minority to? please stop generalizing. the experience of ONE parent (mine or yours) does not show the true picture of LI schools. this idea of NY is the best, is what gets us in trouble the most when traveling outside NY (yes, I just said US, 18 months here qualifies me as an LIer)
I never said you 'just got hit with bad luck'. I know plenty of parents in the Herricks school district that are thrilled with the extra services their children receive at Center Street and HMS.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I never said you 'just got hit with bad luck'. I know plenty of parents in the Herricks school district that are thrilled with the extra services their children receive at Center Street and HMS.
i don't know anything about herricks. i was responding to your "the majority of parents in LI,' you didn't say specifically for herricks, you went a hundred steps more and said majority of LI. that is what I am responding to. please read carefully what I and YOU write, don't contradict for the purpose of contradicting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island