Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 AM

852 posts, read 2,018,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
This is the way it is. Taxpayers who work in the private sector CANNOT AFFORD to have their property taxes continually double, triple and quadruple in order to provide dream benefits and 2 raises a year for public school teachers.

How much property taxes are you willing to pay?

How long have you owned your house? If not very long, get back to us in 5 years when your current property taxes have DOUBLED and your income has not kept pace in the least with that.
This is WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!

According to the World Bank GDP has continuously grown in the US since 1960.

Google - public data

The MONEY IS THERE! Tax the right people! The money is being made by increasing margins, the result of shipping labor overseas and crushing unions. SOAK THE RICH!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post

Google - public data

The MONEY IS THERE! Tax the right people! The money is being made by increasing margins, the result of shipping labor overseas and crushing unions. SOAK THE RICH!
So the GDP or the incomes on LI have doubled the last 5 years? Have they even risen 25%? Nope. Instead we're getting increased taxes on the middle class. While you may say to increase taxes on the rich, and hey I agree that the tax assessment on homes and subsequent taxes are screwy here, theres only so much you can start raising taxes. Remember, 47% of the US doesn't pay taxes or gets excess back from the .gov and the top 1% pays 50% of taxes and the top 10% pay 90%.

Unfortunately this isn't one of those situations. What we have is a household tax. I don't know specifics on reimburement of .gov help for paying property tax (I'd be peeved if there is one) but we're soaking everyone on LI. Even looking at the previously posted district budgets for 2010-2011 districts are loosing students, but they are increasing the budget. Schools need to do what everyone else does, be accountable. They can't hide behind "its for the children" every time budgets come up.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Maryland and New Jersey found out that when you soak the rich, the rich take their income and wealth elsewhere, and state tax revenues decline, not increase.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Maryland and New Jersey found out that when you soak the rich, the rich take their income and wealth elsewhere, and state tax revenues decline, not increase.
I heard this exact topic on NPR recently... You can't expect that the "rich" are going to just sit back and take it. The "wealth" that has left NJ is staggering - you don't want a repeat of that on LI.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 PM

852 posts, read 2,018,241 times
Default Lie of omission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
So the GDP or the incomes on LI have doubled the last 5 years? Have they even risen 25%? Nope. Instead we're getting increased taxes on the middle class. While you may say to increase taxes on the rich, and hey I agree that the tax assessment on homes and subsequent taxes are screwy here, theres only so much you can start raising taxes. Remember, 47% of the US doesn't pay taxes or gets excess back from the .gov and the top 1% pays 50% of taxes and the top 10% pay 90%.

Unfortunately this isn't one of those situations. What we have is a household tax. I don't know specifics on reimburement of .gov help for paying property tax (I'd be peeved if there is one) but we're soaking everyone on LI. Even looking at the previously posted district budgets for 2010-2011 districts are loosing students, but they are increasing the budget. Schools need to do what everyone else does, be accountable. They can't hide behind "its for the children" every time budgets come up.
On its face, that is absurd because EVERYONE PAYS SOCIAL SECURITY TAXES. That is ONLY true if you ignore local, state, social security and payroll taxes. Take a look at this from the CBO, 2007:

"...but the CBO also said that the top one percent paid 5 percent of their incomes in state and local taxes, while the bottom 50 percent — many of whom pay nothing in federal taxes — paid 10 percent of their take, twice as much proportionately.

It also found that those in the bottom 80 percent of the earnings ladder paid around 9 percent of their incomes in Social Security taxes; the top one percent paid just 1.6 percent of theirs. After the income tax, payroll taxes represent the largest share of the federal take — those dollars represent a much bigger piece of the pie than corporate income taxes or taxes on capital gains."

Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyorker94 View Post
You are aware teachers are taxpayers too, right?

And I am not saying higher taxes equal greater teachers, but I am saying you're more likely to find more passionate teachers in public schools. I cannot tell you how long the teachers in my town went without a union contract. So, please, try a new "theory" about who they are trying to please.

Lastly, I've owned my house since '89 and I cannot comment on how my property tax will change as my family an I are uprooting to Boca. Although, I will say I'm praying to have teachers down there as good as they've been here.
So you're on the run out of here. Of course you don't care.

A relative of mine moved to FL ... high end area like Boca but closer to Lauderdale.

She says the taxes are now almost as bad as LI and the public schools are a zillion times worse.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The schools in Boca Raton and overall in Palm beach County are fairly decent and I would say schools in Broward are ok as well (though a bit better in Palm Beach). Those are also the most expensive areas of the state, and once you get out of those counties the quality of the schools drops off immensely, and this goes for generally middle class areas as well.
West Palm is full of gangbangers and illegal aliens from Haiti. Schools suck.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post

Google - public data

Darlin, the rich run this country and we are not about to get over on them unless we do another full scale French Revolution complete with executions.

The purer the capitalism, the richer the rich.

We are a corpocracy, not a democracy.

Sorry.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Having worked in a Big 6 (back in the day) acctg firm and having seen lots of corporate and high net worth individual's income tax returns where they use GAAP to zero out their balance sheet when it comes to "profits" (no profits, no income taxes), I don't believe that.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Remember, 47% of the US doesn't pay taxes or gets excess back from the .gov and the top 1% pays 50% of taxes and the top 10% pay 90%.

It's good that Hannity and Limbaugh keep repeating these lines so that people don't forget them.

They also say things like the "US has the highest corporate taxes in the world!!"

The US has some of the highest corporate tax RATES, but the amount that people pay against those rates is much lower than many countries because of everything they are allowed to write off.

Rich people in the US have only gotten richer over the last 30 years, yet talk radio has middle class people feeling sorry for them. Talk about a great swindle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island