Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 09:26 AM

168 posts, read 314,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Wrong, the vote wasn't indicitive of public sentiment. The only thing the vote showed is that there is a strong vested interest in keeping the programs in place.

Let's put teacher/administrator compensation to a vote and see what happens.

That would have everyone working for free.... how many people without kids would vote away the school system altogether. Thankfully we have a system of limited collective bargaining in place for everyones benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 09:28 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:
? Can't we just want to pay a fair amount for the service?
My school taxes are about $4,200. I think that IS a fair ammount to pay for the education of MY kid. Putting it in perspective, one year of basic phone/cable/internet is about $1,400 a year.

However this is MY opinion of the situation. and only my opinion.

fair, outrageous, ridiculous are subjective.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
My school taxes are about $4,200. I think that IS a fair ammount to pay for the education of MY kid. Putting it in perspective, one year of basic phone/cable/internet is about $1,400 a year.

However this is MY opinion of the situation. and only my opinion.

fair, outrageous, ridiculous are subjective.
Dont forget you get aprox 1/3 of that back in the form of a federal deduction off your highest bracket. Good way to keep tax dollars local.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:32 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Quite presumptuous, aren't we? Why is it that anyone who complains about teacher pay/cop pay is either jealous of their pay or a criminal? Can't we just want to pay a fair amount for the service?
envy being an element in these-- let us now hate our public servants-- posts? is that a wild accusation? is that really presumptuous, btw would you like fries with that?

Old 05-29-2010, 09:38 AM

280 posts, read 247,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacoupe View Post
That would have everyone working for free.... how many people without kids would vote away the school system altogether. Thankfully we have a system of limited collective bargaining in place for everyones benefit.
I think the vast majority of people realize the school system is necessary. If teacher contracts were put up to a vote, that would be indicative of how folks really feel. No, it wouldn't have them working for free but it would be a lot closer to market value.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I think the vast majority of people realize the school system is necessary. If teacher contracts were put up to a vote, that would be indicative of how folks really feel. No, it wouldn't have them working for free but it would be a lot closer to market value.
There are many reasons for not allowing individuals to vote on important issues. Emotion, jelousy and public sentiment can be a dangerous thing. I would never support this idea or a canditate that did. Good luck with your idea.

BTW A federal Judge ruled the recent attempted furlough illegal.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:45 AM

280 posts, read 247,585 times
Quote:
There are many reasons for not allowing individuals to vote on important issues. Emotion, jelousy and public sentiment can be a dangerous thing. I would never support this idea or a canditate that did. Good luck with your idea.
I wouldn't either, but you are the one with the brilliant observation on how the vote indicates LIers feel the money they spend on education is fair, not I. The vote represents the the programs that would be cut and the strong interest of those utilizing those services to keep them going, that's all. Your conclusion is not only invalid and meaningless, it's also comical.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:13 AM

577 posts, read 979,450 times
RE:That is why the avarage teachers pay is only 75k

Even at 75K...for working about 32 weeks per year with excellent benefits and actually teaching for 3:40 per day is a great great deal for teachers and a very very bad deal for taxpayers!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:21 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
Quote:
Quick google search on NY Elevator mechanics wages Elevator Constructors

Mechanic in charge 50.25 per hour that 104k base without overtime
Construction Mechanic 41-44 per hour thats 85-92k base without OT
service mechanic 33.82 70k without OT base without OT

Benefits include health for entire family, pension, annuity and vacation

Sounds comparable... but wait thers more just like teachers you dont start at the top. 4 year apprenticeship plus mandatory classroom training. Hmm sound like annual step increases to me.

The average teacher is not overpaid on Long Island. Sorry
Sorry, but these workers are not funded by PROPERTY TAXES. They are paid for by PRIVATE ENTERPRISE. I would pay teachers $150,000 a year if my property taxes were $5,000. BUT THEY'RE NOT!!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
RE:That is why the avarage teachers pay is only 75k

Even at 75K...for working about 32 weeks per year with excellent benefits and actually teaching for 3:40 per day is a great great deal for teachers and a very very bad deal for taxpayers!
There are VERY many positions/jobs where you are paid to be there but not actually working. That is not unique to teachers. As a flightline mechanic there were DAYS on end I did nothing but sit around. Still getting paid and this was private industry. Many construction/seasonal workers work 9 months out of the year commanding an equal salary and get the fringe benefit of unemployment for the 3 months they are off. There are also many seasonal businesses/jobs that make enough to take winters off, so every job has different perks and benefits. Summers off and prep time during the day happens to be one of teachers. No big deal. Some people get private JETS and limos... others get bonuses or cars or free travel and any combination there of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island