Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and I hope I can find some help!

So I tried doing research on this site through the "Search" option. I read a couple of threads, and got something out of it...but I still feel like I should start my own thread...

Anyway, I'm young guy in my early 20's...I'm thinking about attending a Film School in North Hollywood. I have 2 other friends who are also interested like I am. One will be at the same school as me, and the other will be attending school on Hollywood Blvd.

So as you can see, I'm trying to move to Hollywood, with 2 other friends, and we'll all be studying between North Hollywood down to Hollywood Blvd.

Now I don't know much about the area. So knowing where we'll be studying...where do ya'll recommend I look for an apartment? I've heard mixed reviews on North Hollywood, read good things on West Hollywood even though there were complaints about being too far from freeways, and I also read some things about the East side of Hollywood not really being the "hot" spot to live...but cheaper and more reasonable for students like myself.

So where's a good place to live in or around the Hollywood area? As long as I'm not living next to a crack house...I like to think I'm pretty reasonable when it comes to the type of neighborhood I'm in.

Also...I happen to have a job connection in the San Fernando area near 210 and 118...but I have no clue what kind of drive that would be if I have to commute between there Hollywood.

I hope some of you guys can help...any advice, opinions, tips...would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 09:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
We lived right off of Hollywood Boulevard in central Hollywood and loved it. I don't know about the drive to San Fernando, though. That area has a diverse mix of people, including a lot of students. It's probably not the cheapest option, but there are still some good deals and it's probably cheaper than West Hollywood. East Hollywood will be cheaper still, but there's more crime there. Keep in mind that parking can be a real hassle in Hollywood; not all buildings have parking (and the ones that do usually charge extra for it), and on-street parking can be tough. If you'll have cars you'll want to factor that into your decision. Then again, if you or your friends are going to school on Hollywood Blvd it's possible that at least some of you could get by without cars, which would make life a lot easier and cheaper. (Hollywood has great public transportation, and if you live within walking distance life will be even easier!) Our particular building was in the area called the Yucca Corridor; it's basically the strip of land that extends from Hollywood Blvd to Franklin, and from Highland to Vine. There are a bunch of apartments in there.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 PM

339 posts, read 777,916 times
I lived in the Los Feliz area for several years, just south of Los Feliz on North Vermont. Loved living in that area and still do. Safe neighborhood, close to Hollywood and a short ride to the I-5 and Glendale. Definitely worth a look.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:54 AM

364 posts, read 991,389 times
First off, what film school are you going to? I'm more concerned about this than your living situation. Tell us what the school is and we can tell you whether or not it's worth your money.

IMO the only film school in North Hollywood worth its weight is the Hollywood Film Institute. And that's only for two days and costs less than $400.

North Hollywood has good parts and bad parts, like any other city. I would check out the area. You may want to look into Burbank and Studio City as well.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:09 AM

448 posts, read 1,606,360 times
I'm assuming you're looking for an apartment since you're still in your early 20's. I finally decided to break the bank and buy a house in NoHo at 29. A good marker in North Hollywood is to stay south of Hatteras St. That is the northern most part of the NoHo Redevelopment zone. The further south you go, the nicer it becomes, but also the more expensive it gets, especially when you start to hit Toluca Lake.

If you live close to Chandler Blvd, you can walk/bike to the subway station and take a quick ride to Hollywood. Right now is a buyer/renter's market. Some good friends of mine who live near Lankershim and Otsego recently got a $500 reduction in their rent when they planned on leaving. Ask the landlord if they are offering any discounts. Odds are that they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles