Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:22 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times

Advertisements

No bars on San Vicente Blvd (the one in SM and Brentwood). There are restaurants with a full bar sure, but no actual bars.

Ah, but there is one independent bookstore in North SM/Brentwood - at the Brentwood Country Mart, Diesel books.

By indies do you mean places with an indie spirit, because there are independently owned cafes and coffee shops in North SM/Brentwood, with only one location, they just might appear corporate . It's not like a vast wasteland of Coffee Bean and Starbucks like other parts of LA.

Yes, British pubs and Indian restaurants. In North SM too (Wilshire)

NSM and BW are not funky, but they are fairly diverse. As I said I think sterile in LA county is most of the SFV and south bay. The real definition of sterile would be Irvine.

If 10 is most interesting and diverse and 1 is sterile, Irvine is 1, Burbank is 4, NSM/BW is a 6, Culver city 7.5, Venice would be 9, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 10:31 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
NSM and BW are not funky, but they are fairly diverse.
BW's not that diverse and SM - except for Pico - is not diverse, unless you mean diverse as in different types of white people. (Which is a form of diversity).

Quote:
As I said I think sterile in LA county is most of the SFV and south bay.
Most of the Valley isn't that "sterile" anymore. Uninteresting, yes. But too screwed up and dangerous (north of Burbank Blvd. and especially north of Oxnard St.) to be sterile.
For example,you'd be hard pressed to claim that North Hollywood (both good and bad parts) is sterile!

Quote:
The real definition of sterile would be Irvine.

If 10 is most interesting and diverse and 1 is sterile, Irvine is 1, Burbank is 4, NSM/BW is a 6, Culver city 7.5, Venice would be 9, for example.
I think you underrate Burbank and overrate SM north of the 10.
But I presume you'd put South SM as a 6.5 or 7, and Echo Park would be a 10?
Venice cannot be compared to anywhere else in the world. It is truly unique.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
BW's not that diverse and SM - except for Pico - is not diverse, unless you mean diverse as in different types of white people. (Which is a form of diversity).

Most of the Valley isn't that "sterile" anymore. Uninteresting, yes. But too screwed up and dangerous (north of Burbank Blvd. and especially north of Oxnard St.) to be sterile.
For example,you'd be hard pressed to claim that North Hollywood (both good and bad parts) is sterile!

I think you underrate Burbank and overrate SM north of the 10.
But I presume you'd put South SM as a 6.5 or 7, and Echo Park would be a 10?
Venice cannot be compared to anywhere else in the world. It is truly unique.
When I mean diverse, I'm not talking about race. I'm saying we have lots of independent businesses here. It's not all about Wal Mart, Ralphs, here. Like in Irvine where it's filled with those minimalls with the same ol.

Maybe we don't have the same definition of sterile, but I find the Valley to be really boring and predictable.

I know Burbank has lots of "culture" and stuff but it's not interesting.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:04 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
Quote:
I definitely miss living on Culver Blvd.

As for John23's comment about much of CC being in a "time warp" - that's one of the things I like about it, it reminds me of the westside I grew up in. If it was ever totally "modernized" (which hasn't even happened in the downtown area) then it would be as depressingly sterile as Brentwood or northern SM.
I can't believe how much of west la is getting "sterilized". Have you seen the new fox hills mall? It's got a golds gym. Best Buy.

I liked the old fox hills mall with the carls jr in the corner, the arcade. The old toy store. Places lose so much charm by becoming carbon copies of everything else.

I'm kind of suprised that more things haven't been torn down on sepulveda..with the price of real estate, and the direction real estate is going in general. It doesn't favor ice rinks and mom and pop stores. Venice Blvd in culver city is always depressing. But CC is pretty diverse and it's got some good areas.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:36 PM

^Yeah, Fox Hills Mall in Culver City is a lot more sterile than Santa Monica Place. Santa Monica Place has diversity in what they offer.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:05 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
I also don't like all these name changes.

LOL, on wikipedia, it cites..."Westfield Culver City formerly Westfield Fox Hills formerly Fox Hills mall", haha. It's always going to be fox hills mall.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:41 PM

437 posts, read 811,293 times
Loving Culver City ! So diverse and fun to walk around

Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 PM

109 posts, read 204,680 times
I'm glad they are fixing up the old Fox Hills Mall. It was dank and full of stale shops. However, the name Westfield Culver City Shopping Towne just has a ring of insincerity to it. Whatever, it will always be the Fox Hills Mall to me until it no longer has a ghetto element.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I can't believe how much of west la is getting "sterilized". Have you seen the new fox hills mall? It's got a golds gym. Best Buy.

I liked the old fox hills mall with the carls jr in the corner, the arcade. The old toy store. Places lose so much charm by becoming carbon copies of everything else.

I'm kind of suprised that more things haven't been torn down on sepulveda..with the price of real estate, and the direction real estate is going in general. It doesn't favor ice rinks and mom and pop stores. Venice Blvd in culver city is always depressing. But CC is pretty diverse and it's got some good areas.
Westfield malls all over the world are pretty much the same.
Frank Loewy's empire is very homogenized. The same chain stores everywhere.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:46 PM

437 posts, read 811,293 times
Quote:
Westfield malls all over the world are pretty much the same.
Frank Loewy's empire is very homogenized. The same chain stores everywhere.

After 5 years are you still living in Bay area . Do you miss Culver City and if yes update on your life ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles