Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:16 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,541,686 times

Advertisements

Definitely nice to read something positive here. I've only been posting for a couple of weeks, but I notice it's all "Waaa waaa waaa (LA sucks)". Since I grew up in Southern California and (with the exception of college) lived here all my life, I seriously started to think... "hmmm, maybe I'm just too used to it here or something", with everyone ******ing about everything (traffic, jobs, housing cost, crime, schools, etc.).

Thanks for the reminder that some people really do enjoy it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 02:25 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,234,910 times
I feel exactly the same way, OP. I moved here 11 years ago (also from the east coast). I was horribly homesick for 6 months, and it took a year to feel like home.

Long story short: I moved to Austin, TX 2 or 3 years ago, lasted a year and then moved back home to Boston because I was pregnant and wanted to be near family. That also lasted a year. I was homesick for LA the whole time. And now I'm back.

I've said it before and I'll probably say it again... I think people back east like to say/think that people on the east coast are more "fake" or "phoney" just to make themselves feel better. 'Cause it's not true at all. You're right, they're just nicer here.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:44 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,848,567 times
JerZ... this thread is like a breath of fresh air, thank you! Glad to hear Southern California has finally become a true home for you. Going to be tough to ever leave now!

Old 03-17-2011, 03:23 PM

167 posts, read 557,950 times
What a terrific post! I started on this forum because I was in a "I hate LA" mode back in 2007. I thought I wanted to leave. After 27 years I was sick of it, the people, the weather (yes, the weather), cost of living, everything. And then something magical happened about a year ago. I fell head over heels in love with this place again (or maybe for the first time). No, I didn't get a new boyfriend, a new job, or anything else new and shiney. I just started to look at LA for its beauty. Yeah, the cost of living still sucks, some of the people are still looney, but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't appreciate living in this city. I've often thought about changing my screen name from "FarewellLA" to "HelloLA" but I like to keep it as a reminder that there was a time that I thought I didn't love this place. Boy, was I mistaken!!!

Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 PM

645 posts, read 989,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Okay, now THAT is funny, I was *just* going to say "It's strawberry!" And yes! It's the place in Glendora. Darned place makes you pay cash! But worth every penny.

Would any of y'all be so kind as to FED Ex me a few of these when they are in season, please?

the best in the WORLD! | Yelp

I've got cash! I'll cover your stash as well!

Toughest part of not living in LA anymore is missing all the good eats!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
Would any of y'all be so kind as to FED Ex me a few of these when they are in season, please?

the best in the WORLD! | Yelp

I've got cash! I'll cover your stash as well!

Toughest part of not living in LA anymore is missing all the good eats!
Ha ha, I'll see what I can do. You want a peach donut mailed to you in the fall?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:47 PM

645 posts, read 989,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Ha ha, I'll see what I can do. You want a peach donut mailed to you in the fall?
You mean these?

the only good thing about the end of strawberry season.... | Yelp

Now you're just being cruel!!

Really enjoyed reading your OP. It made me miss LA! Glad to hear you've found your slice of heaven in sun. I remember this one cat I knew back in LA could never quite get it - he was always telling me that trying to get LA was like "trying to hold water in your hands." I dunno - maybe he tried too hard. For me, it took some getting used to - but eventually - sort of like you were describing - it just sort of clicked. The way I describe it is like when you start dancing with someone new - it's sort of awkward and annoying at first, but then you both settle into a rhythm and then it's like you're in sync. Sounds like you're getting your groove on!

Good luck to you!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:59 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
(//music)... "I LOVE LA"!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Thanks, you guys!!!!!

Beans&Cornbread, where are you off to? You say you're moving? One thing I have learned from all this (cue "end of the sitcom episode with the wrapup music") is that there can be very cool things you never knew existed when you move to a new place. Maybe you'll be reporting back with something we're all jealous of!!!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

Most of the fake, pretentious people come from somewhere else. They were the beauty queen in their home town and won a couple of talent shows, to the point that they think being an actor is the next logical step. Yes, I'm generalizing, but this happens all too often.
You know what? I'm ashamed and embarrassed to say that I think you've nailed it! The real friends I've made here -- the women I hang out with -- were all born here. I gravitated toward them in part because they didn't have that snooty-*ss vibe that I had been (narrow mindedly) expecting. Oh, the irony.

I mean I have also met great people here that weren't born here. I don't mean to generalize. My hubs's best friend is from Pennsylvania and he's awesome. It's just funny how it worked out that my very favorite people to hang out with turned out to be from SoCal...interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles